Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

if you want cheap running lights, Aldi do a clip on pair of small rucksack lights (one red, one white) that attached with rubber loops for a couple of quid.  They come up in the special buys every now and then. Cheap but bright, replaceable batteries and waterproof.  I attached one red and one white on a belt and its all good.  It is an alternative for those who don't have a lot to spend and want to stay alive.

Just now, pilton digger said:

if you want cheap running lights, Aldi do a clip on pair of small rucksack lights (one red, one white) that attached with rubber loops for a couple of quid.  They come up in the special buys every now and then. Cheap but bright, replaceable batteries and waterproof.  I attached one red and one white on a belt and its all good.  It is an alternative for those who don't have a lot to spend and want to stay alive.

Why the hell couldn't I find those?!?! I was really struggling to find clip on lights so I ended up with the expensive ones!!! 😂

4 minutes ago, John the Moth said:

My 2nd ever half marathon is coming up on Sunday. I was quietly confident of improving on my last time (training last time out was plagued by injury).

Then I looked at the elevation profile... yikes!!

7B57CDDB-F670-45F7-90D6-B449A042DF7C.jpeg

Just enjoy the 9-10km stretch that’s all I’d say!

Richmond marathon next month has been postponed and I can't do the new date so it's as good as cancelled for me 😞

It's going to be pretty hard to keep my motivation to get out and running in the dark cold evenings now, I might still just run a marathon on that date and see if I do any better than when I had to do a virtual marathon last year. 

February is still feeling pretty bleak! 

12 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

Richmond marathon next month has been postponed and I can't do the new date so it's as good as cancelled for me 😞

It's going to be pretty hard to keep my motivation to get out and running in the dark cold evenings now, I might still just run a marathon on that date and see if I do any better than when I had to do a virtual marathon last year. 

February is still feeling pretty bleak! 

That's what I'm going to be doing in March for the cancelled Forest of Dean Half, just having it fixed in my brain is giving me something to work to at least.  Going to run the local HM road course that I did in 2019 and see if I can beat my time around that.

Missed a few runs over the last week due to tight calves, decorating and misjudging cooking times (!) but back out tonight!

Hello. I’m arriving in this thread as a 43 year old man with a sedentary job based permanently at home. I don’t really exercise at all and have been guilty of drinking a lot. Consequently, I’m currently around 220lb, mostly belly fat. I’m 187cm tall. I dislike my reflection.

I’m determined to halt this trend this year. I’ve bought myself gym/running gear, a pair of adjustable dumbbells, an Apple Watch and subscription to Fitness+ and I’m waiting on delivery of a gym mat and stability ball. 

I’ve calculated a low carb, high protein diet (complete with protein shakes), and a fitness schedule that will see me burn 1,000 calories on Mon/Wed/Fri and 600 calories on the other days. It gives me a weekly calorie deficit of around 3,500. My aim is to lose 1lb a week with the goal being to shed 30-40lb this year. 

I’m quite nervous about beginning and I’m not sure why. It feels like such a lot to take on and I know that to achieve my goals there can be no half measures. I will need to cut drinking down to almost zero (and I’m used to drinking daily), up my water intake and manage my sleep better (I’ve ordered some Advil PM’s to help force a better sleep routine). 

Sorry for the dry, factual post. I guess I want to post in this thread to introduce some accountability as I occasionally update.

I don't claim to be any sort of expert (one will be along soon) but don't turn exercise into something to feel guilty about, a target that when missed causes angst, or something to work as a punishment. Start slow, don't set goals that are punitive (it feels better to achieve a small thing than miss a big one), and try to enjoy exercise as a thing rather than a means to an end. I will be slightly unusual for this thread, I am older than most,  got the t shirt years ago, now enjoy running as something I do and not a life goal.

in short, just enjoy exercise in whatever way works for you, the weight thing will happen when it does. I applaud anyone who does something, it will help you enjoy life better and for longer.

18 hours ago, Quark said:

That's what I'm going to be doing in March for the cancelled Forest of Dean Half, just having it fixed in my brain is giving me something to work to at least.  Going to run the local HM road course that I did in 2019 and see if I can beat my time around that.

Missed a few runs over the last week due to tight calves, decorating and misjudging cooking times (!) but back out tonight!

Yeah I'll do that too, it's going to be tough to convince myself to get out for a 20 miler on Saturday. Hopefully a fixed date is enough to motivate me!