Fitness for Glasto 2021

gigpusher

11 minutes ago, Homer said:

It's pretty wild out there... sometimes I walk around the park next door for about 20 minutes... then come home!

We really went crazy yesterday. We walked our morning lap of the village in the opposite direction!

Clarification - we walked clockwise. Sadly I was not moonwalking my way around a Sussex village.

Edited by Quark
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

What's the deal with your jab and shielding and stuff?

I’m working ... but just have 2 weeks off ... I’m group 6 .... so a while away yet ... gonna complete my stewarding application tomoro ... so that might bump me up a bit if some becomes available ... although I’m not doing the jabs ... I should get some fresh air really ... don’t know why I’ve become a bit of a recluse this week 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

I’m working ... but just have 2 weeks off ... I’m group 6 .... so a while away yet ... gonna complete my stewarding application tomoro ... so that might bump me up a bit if some becomes available ... although I’m not doing the jabs ... I should get some fresh air really ... don’t know why I’ve become a bit of a recluse this week 

Yeah, couldn't remember if you had any advised restrictions, but then it wouldn't make sense that you've been at work! Bit of a brain fart 🙂

4 hours ago, Quark said:

We really went crazy yesterday. We walked our morning lap of the village in the opposite direction!

Clarification - we walked clockwise. Sadly I was not moonwalking my way around a Sussex village.

I did the same this week. Not a Sussex village, but Pilton. I circumnavigated the festival site in an anticlockwise direction.  I can confirm the hills are just as bad either way! At times I thought I could skimboard, there was that much water running down the roads.

After breaking my left ankle at Glastonbury 2019 and then my right ankle 8 months later to the day, I've finally managed to nag myself into "running" again since the start of the year (my god I'm slow).  The scales tell a horrific tale of lockdown, and my stamina levels are rubbish, but I'm doing 10k on our treadmill every Sunday, and I'm going to add a Wednesday 5k into the mix starting this week.

Will look to move the Sunday run to road running at some point in Feb as well (tried it this month, and found it a bit tough on the ankles with all the extra weight).  I still have my London marathon spot from last year, so the plan is to get used to running again, build up the stamina, and then start a normal marathon training plan as we move towards October.

1 minute ago, Greenelk said:

After breaking my left ankle at Glastonbury 2019 and then my right ankle 8 months later to the day, I've finally managed to nag myself into "running" again since the start of the year (my god I'm slow).  The scales tell a horrific tale of lockdown, and my stamina levels are rubbish, but I'm doing 10k on our treadmill every Sunday, and I'm going to add a Wednesday 5k into the mix starting this week.

Will look to move the Sunday run to road running at some point in Feb as well (tried it this month, and found it a bit tough on the ankles with all the extra weight).  I still have my London marathon spot from last year, so the plan is to get used to running again, build up the stamina, and then start a normal marathon training plan as we move towards October.

Sounds like you are doing great, I’m stuck doing 5km at 25-30 mins once or twice a week 

Just now, morph100 said:

Sounds like you are doing great, I’m stuck doing 5km at 25-30 mins once or twice a week 

The challenge for me is the mental side of things, I find running so boring.  I can't listen to music, so when I'm doing road running I listen to podcasts, and that works for me.  If you can keep doing the 5k a couple of times a week,  I'm sure it won't take you long to start pushing that out.

I'm pleased it took me so little time to get back to 10k I must admit, I had just done my first half marathon training run when I broke my second ankle, and I was so pissed off with myself, as I had sorted my head out, and felt I had quite a bit still in me.  Now I'm over a stone heavier, and need to find that happy place mentally again, which I'm finding much harder this lockdown

20 minutes ago, morph100 said:

What I don’t like about these 10km training apps is they say Jog for 10 mins, run for 10 mins as if there are two different speeds?!?!

I find plod a useful word to adhere to. I've got well back in to my plodding since last Oct, getting out lunchtime at least every other day. For me it's more about time on my feet rather than speed and distance. An hour of a lunchtime is plenty for me nowadays at my age. If you're able to go off road safely then all the better, certainly for the joints. I may have one more marathon in me, will have to see how the body holds up; mentally I still think I'm 30 (I'm 56). I would say know your limitations and try to only just exceed them.

1 hour ago, morph100 said:

What I don’t like about these 10km training apps is they say Jog for 10 mins, run for 10 mins as if there are two different speeds?!?!

I used to play rugby with a guy who always said the only difference between his jog and his sprint was a change in facial expression.

Edited by Quark

17 hours ago, deebeedoobee said:

I just got sleeted on during my run today. Was just the right temperature for me though so not a bad thing. Managed to take a route that avoided the large puddles.

Such a shame I can’t go on the farm at the moment, as all this road running is dull. 

Quite a soggy one last night as well Dee, does have the added bonus of cooling me down though!

I know the off road is your preference, but are the roads around you not scenic enough to keep you occupied?  Or is it more the terrain that bores you?

9 minutes ago, Quark said:

Quite a soggy one last night as well Dee, does have the added bonus of cooling me down though!

I know the off road is your preference, but are the roads around you not scenic enough to keep you occupied?  Or is it more the terrain that bores you?

I think with off road you have to concentrate more, otherwise you go arse ‘o’ tit. With roads the only thing to think about is whether a tractor is coming, or worse still, Micheal in his landie. The man has the eye sight of an 87 yr old and drives like an 18 year old roadman. Still you always get a cheery wave from him, as you scramble out of the hedge.

2 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

I think with off road you have to concentrate more, otherwise you go arse ‘o’ tit. With roads the only thing to think about is whether a tractor is coming, or worse still, Micheal in his landie. The man has the eye sight of an 87 yr old and drives like an 18 year old roadman. Still you always get a cheery wave from him, as you scramble out of the hedge.

Ah fair enough. I suppose it depends what you're after; running on the road does let me build up a steady rhythm and just chug along, but off road is definitely more taxing from a concentration and footing side of things. I run in the evenings, so off road would be route one to a busted ankle at the moment!

The thing I like about night running though is I can see the headlights coming from either direction in plenty of time, so less prone to hedge diving 😄

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Quark said:

Ah fair enough. I suppose it depends what you're after; running on the road does let me build up a steady rhythm and just chug along, but off road is definitely more taxing from a concentration and footing side of things. I run in the evenings, so off road would be route one to a busted ankle at the moment!

The thing I like about night running though is I can see the headlights coming from either direction in plenty of time, so less prone to hedge diving 😄

I love night running. Agree that cars are easier to see coming. Less farm traffic. There are no street lights here but you find there is enough moon light to run by. It helps that we know where all the potholes are!  Also hills are not so noticeable. I can’t see them if they are a gentle slope, so my mind just tells me I’m being a lazy arse and should get a move on. In daylight I can see the incline and maybe I slow down automatically/ believe I’ll find them harder than they actually are. On the downside, I think I’m running dead fast in the dark, but when I get back realise it was a steady pace.

• Like 1

First post Covid run done - took it nice and steady to try and build it back up. Added around 2.30 mins to my pre-Covid 5km average time, but it’s something to work back from. 

Also, first time using my FreeTrain and they really are fantastic aren’t they!! Really comfortable (didn’t even know I had it on), and the phone didn’t bounce around at all for me like some of the online videos show. Really hate the running armbands or holding my phone, so this is going to be a great bit of kit for years to come I think!

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, st dan said:

First post Covid run done - took it nice and steady to try and build it back up. Added around 2.30 mins to my pre-Covid 5km average time, but it’s something to work back from. 

Also, first time using my FreeTrain and they really are fantastic aren’t they!! Really comfortable (didn’t even know I had it on), and the phone didn’t bounce around at all for me like some of the online videos show. Really hate the running armbands or holding my phone, so this is going to be a great bit of kit for years to come I think!

How did you feel afterwards? Hoping no fatigue or coughing or anything nasty like that? Good that you're back out 🙂

For such a simple bit of kit it's really good isn't it? Key goes in the zip pocket, credit card and driving licence in the little front pocket and phone in the main one. I find it just feels well made as well; doesn't feel like the zip's about to stick or the popper's going to come off.

I treated (?) myself to a set of these as well.  I was on the lookout for a clip on red light for my road running, and came across these on their store: https://freetrain.co.uk/products/freetrain-rechargeable-illuminate-leds

Better than my head torch, and Mrs Q was out walking last night while I was running and she reckons she could clearly see the lights about half a mile away as I ran down the main road.

Can definitely see it getting used on my bike as well.

16 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

I love night running. Agree that cars are easier to see coming. Less farm traffic. There are no street lights here but you find there is enough moon light to run by. It helps that we know where all the potholes are!  Also hills are not so noticeable. I can’t see them if they are a gentle slope, so my mind just tells me I’m being a lazy arse and should get a move on. In daylight I can see the incline and maybe I slow down automatically/ believe I’ll find them harder than they actually are. On the downside, I think I’m running dead fast in the dark, but when I get back realise it was a steady pace.

All sounds really familiar Dee!  We've got lights in the village but once I get outside there's nothing, so knowing where the potholes are makes a massive difference, especially when it comes to pace. Same thing with the hills; there's a (relatively) steep bugger right at the end of my route to come back into the village, and not being able to see the top bizarrely makes it easier to just dig in and get up it. It's on the downhills where I know I could faster in the day, I know there aren't any big holes but it's just that uncertainty about slips or mud/gravel patches that slows me down.

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

How did you feel afterwards? Hoping no fatigue or coughing or anything nasty like that? Good that you're back out 🙂

For such a simple bit of kit it's really good isn't it? Key goes in the zip pocket, credit card and driving licence in the little front pocket and phone in the main one. I find it just feels well made as well; doesn't feel like the zip's about to stick or the popper's going to come off.

I treated (?) myself to a set of these as well.  I was on the lookout for a clip on red light for my road running, and came across these on their store: https://freetrain.co.uk/products/freetrain-rechargeable-illuminate-leds

Better than my head torch, and Mrs Q was out walking last night while I was running and she reckons she could clearly see the lights about half a mile away as I ran down the main road.

Can definitely see it getting used on my bike as well.

Felt great thanks - I did take it probably a little easier than I needed to, but just didn’t want to get really fatigued half way through and struggle on the way back. Chest feels a little wheezy now I’m back and showered, but it went better than I probably thought it would.

Totally agree with the quality of the FreeTrain - very well made indeed, couldn’t fault a single thing about it. And at £30 it’s fairly priced for a product that will get a lot of use. 
Those lights look great too. Might get myself a pair when they’re back in stock as I have been after some myself. 

Just now, st dan said:

Felt great thanks - I did take it probably a little easier than I needed to, but just didn’t want to get really fatigued half way through and struggle on the way back. Chest feels a little wheezy now I’m back and showered, but it went better than I probably thought it would.

Totally agree with the quality of the FreeTrain - very well made indeed, couldn’t fault a single thing about it. And at £30 it’s fairly priced for a product that will get a lot of use. 
Those lights look great too. Might get myself a pair when they’re back in stock as I have been after some myself. 

Good stuff, glad to hear it. That was pretty much my approach on my first run after I was allowed back outside.  Felt fine, but I didn't want to either blow myself out and have to walk home, or find that I'd wiped myself out for the next few days.

• Upvote 1