Football 19/20

thetime

11 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Easty what's the 80's quiz show music played at the Etihad during the warm up?

No idea mate, can't say I have ever noticed. They play some mad Doves - Pounding mashup. Brainbug - Nightmare, Fatboy Slim - Right here, right now, Blue Moon and Hey Jude.

4 minutes ago, eastynh said:

No idea mate, can't say I have ever noticed. They play some mad Doves - Pounding mashup. Brainbug - Nightmare, Fatboy Slim - Right here, right now, Blue Moon and Hey Jude.

Nah theres the theme from an 80s show. Wrecking my head trying to think of it.

2 hours ago, Dan R said:

The worst part of it imo is the fact the Premier League decided to double down to back up the ref and VAR when it was clearly a mistake. I dont think VAR itself is the issue, it's the terrible officiating which seems to be beyond reproach.

I think VAR is a huge issue with offside as it gives the facility to aim for perfection in a game that doesn't need to be perfect. 

The offside rule was brought in to stop players getting an unfair advantage, not penalize someone with a finger nail, armpit or nose slightly ahead.

When people previously advocated for VAR these marginal offsides were not the incidents that they wanted to change. People gladly accepted these were pretty much level and moved on.

VAR hasn't stopped the controversy as we were told it would, it has just replaced one type of controversy with another. While at the same time slowing the game down and removing some of the emotion.

26 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Horrific injury for Gomes. 

Was mildly annoyed at having to pop out to pick the wife up from the shops. Left just after the Spurs goal and back came in just after the incident. So pleased I missed it.

Edited by Homer

15 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

Seeing goals given offside because of the position of an armpit only increases my belief that VAR is a bad idea. Nobody was critical of these goals standing in a pre VAR world.

I'm against VAR, but that armpit isn't anything I have a problem with. Offside is offside is offside. It can't be argued with.

Mane's card for 'diving'* tho is ridiculous. It was looked at with VAR and you can clearly see he has his foot stood on (and not just a little bit on the edge, it was right on top). It might not have been a penalty, but it shouldn't have been a card.

* Mane did make the most of it. ;) 

15 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Kamara talking about "outing" the VAR ref on telly this morn.

why does he need outing? It was Aktinson. The same geezer who gave a red yesterday for a yellow card offence.

11 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

The offside rule was brought in to stop players getting an unfair advantage, not penalize someone with a finger nail, armpit or nose slightly ahead.

but offside is offside.

If the rules say an armpit in front is offside - and they do - then VAR should call it as offside.

You might as well be saying that goal line technology should have a bit of leeway for whether a goal has been scored.

But hey, don't worry, soon enough VAR will be always perfect and incredibly fast. :lol: 

Edited by eFestivals

9 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

I would have thought Bales wages means he has pretty much no transfer value.

yup.

And even if you value Bale at £50M, based on other transfers Sterling has more value than that "offer".

I'm guessing the senior sky footie journos are off this week with their kids for half term. You'd need to be a bit of numptie to think £70M+Bale was a deal for Sterling.

Edited by eFestivals

8 hours ago, eFestivals said:

but offside is offside.

If the rules say an armpit in front is offside - and they do - then VAR should call it as offside.

You might as well be saying that goal line technology should have a bit of leeway for whether a goal has been scored.

But hey, don't worry, soon enough VAR will be always perfect and incredibly fast. :lol: 

I advocated for VAR on here before - but i can't defend that shite. Its pathetic.

26 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Its sky that are joking. This type of shit comes out every time we have a key match up. It used to be the derby, now its Liverpool.

Expect a load of negative stories aimed at City this week.

I expect you'll get some stick for saying that but I did see the headlines from this weekend were "Walker strikes late to spare City blushes" and "Last-gasp Liverpool produce stunning fightback"...

21 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Offside is offside - when it's correctly called by the ref's eye or VAR. 

But VAR itself? It'll never be (always) fast, it'll never adjudicate on all fouls to everyone's satisfaction, etc, etc, etc.

The video of the line moving to fit the decision is damning. He wasnt offside.

19 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

The video of the line moving to fit the decision is damning. He wasnt offside.

well that's a different thing. The point I was making is that if his armpit was offside he was offside. Offside is an arbitrary line and the ref's eye or VAR doesn't change that.

But if you reckon he wasn't offside, welcome to what I pointed out about VAR before VAR started. :) 

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

well that's a different thing. The point I was making is that if his armpit was offside he was offside. Offside is an arbitrary line and the ref's eye or VAR doesn't change that.

But if you reckon he wasn't offside, welcome to what I pointed out about VAR before VAR started. :) 

I was naive to expect more of VAR. Its pisspoor in current form.