Football 19/20

thetime

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

it'll be piss-poor in all forms.

Indeed. Started off badly and got worse. Should've been binned after week 1. Its taking away the impact of a goal which will absolutely ruin the game. Close enough to that now. Score a goal but don't bother celebrating as they'll be checking something. 

13 minutes ago, jyoung said:

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/372222-club-statement-carabao-cup-aston-villa

LFC to play in League Cup on 17 Dec vs Villa and World Club Cup (with a different squad) on 18 Dec...

Madness?!

This is ridiculous, surely the FA could have found a better date. Will be interesting to see which they prioritise  

The whole game is a mess. The level at which VAR overrides the referee seems to be vary wildly from game to game leaving exactly the same inconsistency that was there before.

Also I've noticed Son's red card has been overturned after Clatterberg was adamant during the game that new rules state that the intent is no longer important and the decision is based on the seriousness of the injury:

if they determine the injury would not have happened without Son’s foul, then the player should be sent off for serious foul play.

"It is important to remember, however, that 'intent' has been removed from the Laws as referees could not determine this or otherwise without asking the player. Now, the focus is on the consequence.

He also made an argument for Aurier going too. Nobody seems to have a clue whats going on.

Edited by lost

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

the LC, surely? 

I can't really see them being keen on having their best players flying round the world just before the busy xmas games. I can't see them sending too many of their first-choicers on that trip.

First XI will play the final if the get to it.

4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

the LC, surely? 

I can't really see them being keen on having their best players flying round the world just before the busy xmas games. I can't see them sending too many of their first-choicers on that trip.

Sponsor demands to an extent though isn't it for foreign stuff?

Depending on villas league form at the time, doubt they'd have their full first 11 either for the LC

Edited by zahidf

On 11/5/2019 at 5:29 PM, eFestivals said:

the LC, surely? 

I reckon they'll prioritise the Club World Cup and play the reserves against Villa. Win the semi and they have the final (or 3rd place play off ffs) 3 days later with the team already out there.

17 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

I reckon they'll prioritise the Club World Cup and play the reserves against Villa. Win the semi and they have the final (or 3rd place play off ffs) 3 days later with the team already out there.

Klopp confirmed this.

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

CWC means absolutely fuck all. If Liverpool take it seriously then I hope it ends up fucking up their title push.

To many but not all. To give one example, Real Madrid rate it highly.

https://www.realmadrid.com/en/about-real-madrid/honours/football

Id definitely prioritise CWC over the League Cup. Two games vs 4 more games for a trophy, it's a trophy we've never won and get very few chances, bigger prize money, and for most around the world more prestige (though that's arguable).

Also the two legged semi in January is just a pain in the arse.

Edited by Dan R

1 minute ago, Dan R said:

Id definitely prioritise CWC over the League Cup. Two games vs 4 more games for a trophy, it's a trophy we've never won and get very few chances, bigger prize money, and for most around the world more prestige (though that's arguable).

Its a novelty tournament at the moment to most.

I'd rather win the CWC, I think.

To be honest I've not paid much attention to it in recent years (which probably says a lot) but from what I remember, the European teams would generally go into it thinking it will be easy and then get beaten be some South American team who were way better than anyone expected them to be.