The Red Wine Box (quality & offers)

The Other Steve

I'd be interested in recommendations too. Always take a box or two to festivals but the quality doesn't tend to be that great.

The stuff in boxes tends to be the same wine you can get for under a fiver in a bottle, I may be turning into a wine snob but I find stuff at that price ain't up to standard. Don't get me wrong, I tend to buy the £6 - £8 a bottle stuff so it's not like I'm breaking the bank. Can you get stuff of that sort of quality in a box?

Was about to say Nal will be along in a minute but can see he's posted as I've typed this.

8 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Although Im looking to posh it up this year if I can find some of this malbec. Waitrose do it. 

https://www.decanter.com/wine-reviews/argentina/mendoza/the-beefsteak-club-malbec-mendoza-argentina-2016-13568

£19.99 @ Ocado..  if you're a new shopper you can buy a couple & use an intro voucher too (£20 off £80)

10 minutes ago, The Nal said:

This is an old reliable. Got me through many Glastos. 

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/297427179

Although Im looking to posh it up this year if I can find some of this malbec. Waitrose do it. 

https://www.decanter.com/wine-reviews/argentina/mendoza/the-beefsteak-club-malbec-mendoza-argentina-2016-13568

I'm a Tempranillo and Rioja but like you looking to posh it up ever so slightly this time round ?

3 minutes ago, Flying_Hellfish said:

£19.99 @ Ocado..  if you're a new shopper you can buy a couple & use an intro voucher too (£20 off £80)

I became a new shopper at Ocado in June 2015, June 2016, June 2017 but not in June 2018 and by coincidence I will be again in June 2019 ?

Regarding the wine - is it any good?

• Like 1

I love the Banrock Station Cab Sauv / Shiraz - this has been my staple for the last few years

If you're lucky you may be able to find it around £15. Obvs take the bag out of the box for transporting to the festival, and I fill up a 75cl used water bottle for a day's supply (a box does three days of course)

https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop/product/Banrock-Station-Shiraz-Cabernet/217672011

31 minutes ago, Flying_Hellfish said:

They don't deliver to the colonies unfortunately. Might see if they can deliver to the hotel we're at on Tuesday night.

28 minutes ago, lazzareo said:

I'm a Tempranillo and Rioja but like you looking to posh it up ever so slightly this time round ?

Haha yeah I am this time. That Tesco tempranillo is fine though otherwise.

*Wine twat hat on*

The robustness of the wine is as important as the grape variety when it comes to boxed wine at festivals. It'll likely be sloshed around in a rucksack, decanted into different bottles, dropped on the ground, heated, cooled at night, opened, closed and then left looking like a colostomy bag as you desperately squeeze the last droppings out on Sunday afternoon. 

Shiraz/Syrah, Grenache (like a Cotes du Rhone), Malbec, Sangiovese (like a Chianti) can all take a beating and still hold up well.

Avoid cabernet sauvignon on its own. Lovely with food but way too tannic and will give you cotton mouth, red teeth and black lips. 

Id love to find a good Zinfandel. 

*Wine twat hat off*

Edited by The Nal
  • Upvote 6

Just now, The Nal said:

Shiraz, Grenache (like a Cotes du Rhone), Malbec, Sangiovese (like a Chianti) can all take a beating.

Avoid cabernet sauvignon. Lovely with food but way too tannic and will give you cotton mouth, red teeth and black lips. 

I find a Cab Sauv / shiraz mix works well and stays the course - it's not the only thing I drink, though, so I might be offsetting the problems with healthy top-ups of cider and beer (healthy!)

3 minutes ago, billum said:

I find a Cab Sauv / shiraz mix works well and stays the course - it's not the only thing I drink, though, so I might be offsetting the problems with healthy top-ups of cider and beer (healthy!)

Ha, yeah a blend would defo take some of the tannins down. I don't really drink a lot of beer so its usually wine oclock from after brekkie. Rose - Red and then onto the whiskey is how it tends to go.

29 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Id love to find a good Zinfandel. 

Me too.. I used to drink loads of it- but for some reason I can hardly ever find it in UK supermarkets these days. There's the odd mid-price bottle but I always used to get a 'modestly priced' version for 5 or 6 quid that was lovely. Even Morrissons own brand used to do it. I have no idea why the availability of red zinfandel has plummeted so much. Yeah you can always get the white/pink version.

Anyone who knows me knows I depend on red wine at festivals. Breakfast, lunch and supper. Usually I carry a bottle or two around in my wine skin. 

I generally take about 3 boxes if it's just for me... with a spare in the car. 

Edited by Boris

1 hour ago, The Nal said:

This is an old reliable. Got me through many Glastos. 

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/297427179

We took the Waitrose one last year, and it was very good

@lazzareo - They also have a Tempranillo https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/vina-albali-vdt-tempranillo/400698-653897-653898

Not tried it yet, so if anyone does, please let us know.

We used to have a box in Tesco that was our go to, but they stopped selling it!

3 minutes ago, c8lin said:

You really did hit the jackpot there! Incredible 

I did buy 5 but I can't be bothered to get the other 2 down from the loft. They were hanging around in Tescos for days before I decided to  buy 1 just to see what it was like and that was ok. I am doing a few festivals before Glastonbury so they will be used up by the end of festival season.  

43 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Was that photo taken after you'd started drinking it?

Hahahaha You should have seen the other photos.  My daughter upgraded her phone and gave me her old i Phone but every now and again and it is getting worse when you take a photo its a blurry screen as if I am moving when I am taking it. I wish to state here and now that I wasn't moving or had taken some or all of the said wine. Boxed wine is best suited to festivals. Here is one of the seven originals fuzzy photos I took. 

IMG_9895.JPG