If you could only choose one.....

drunk pumpkin

If you could only choose one path......  

87 members have voted

1. 1. You,re given a choice as you enter the festival, which way do you go?

• You get to see every key song you love across the entire festival but are not allowed to wander at all.
    • You enter the festival as a normal punter seeing where the festival takes you

I went to the Byron Bay Blues Festival a couple of years ago.

It had a decent line-up and in a beautiful location.

There are maybe 4 stages, and it is organised very well.

But I hated it.

Almost for the exact reason characterized by option 1 in the poll question.

It just felt like everyone was consuming the acts like commodities rather than participating in a festival. It seemed to breed a selfish, entitled attitude

It revealed just how special the ethic at Glastonbury is in creating a genuine festival. 

Edited by BlackZeppelin

I've never been to Glastonbury for the music, so it's the second option for me. That said, I understand that there will be those that would (and have) chosen the first option. Fair play to them, but I don't think they'll be in the majority. 

Have i just stated the obvious, or what? 

I think I'll scratch my head now in a Stan Laurel stylee.

5 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I've never been to Glastonbury for the music, so it's the second option for me. That said, I understand that there will be those that would (and have) chosen the first option. Fair play to them, but I don't think they'll be in the majority. 

Have i just stated the obvious, or what? 

I think I'll scratch my head now in a Stan Laurel stylee.

It’s definitely option 2 for me but I’m sure lots of people would go for 1. 

Maybe only those who aren’t familiar with everything else that goes on but there would be lots 

30 minutes ago, drunk pumpkin said:

It’s definitely option 2 for me but I’m sure lots of people would go for 1. 

Maybe only those who aren’t familiar with everything else that goes on but there would be lots 

I don't doubt that there may well be lots, it's just that I don't think that they'll be in the majority. I could be wrong though I often am. 

I fully understand that for some being in that perfect position for a particular track by an artist(s) would be of paramount importance. I'd simply love to have been in the audience here (see below), and would choose option 1, if it meant that it could be;

a lot of the time, the 'key songs' that end up being the prevailing memory/moment of the festival are completely unexpected or a result of bimbling.

Option one sounds too much like watching it on tv.  Yes you may see what you (think you) want but its devoid of the soul of Glastonbury

Option 1

I've done option 2 about 15 times and absolutely love it but if it's just a one off then option 1 sounds awesome, a bit like spending an evening watching all your favourite acts live on youtube but being there, no clashes. Also, "every key song" suggests only 2 or 3 per act which means i'd get to see well over 50. A chance not to be turned down, but like I said best it's a one off.

Edited by bombfrog