Janet Jackson Headlining?

LastWaltz

If you don't know much JJ definitely check out her Control album, the first album she worked with Jimmy Jam/Terry Lewis.  They really crafted a sound together.  It skews a bit more RnB then straight pop like some of her 90s stuff.  There are quite a few bops on it:

Nasty / Control / What Have you Done for me Lately / Pleasure principle** / Lets Wait Awhile

21 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

Is that geez on the payroll or wha. 

reminds me a lot about a geezer who posted here a lot singing the wonders of Rod Stewart many years ago.

That geezer's IP traced back to an office involved in the management of Rod. Around the same time I got a call from as friend at GFL, asking me nicely if I'd list Rod as headliner, because he was threatening to pull out because he wasn't listed here as headliner.

Bizarre, and very very funny. :lol: 

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

reminds me a lot about a geezer who posted here a lot singing the wonders of Rod Stewart many years ago.

That geezer's IP traced back to an office involved in the management of Rod. Around the same time I got a call from as friend at GFL, asking me nicely if I'd list Rod as headliner, because he was threatening to pull out because he wasn't listed here as headliner.

that's incredible 

19 minutes ago, Dangletang said:

If you don't know much JJ definitely check out her Control album, the first album she worked with Jimmy Jam/Terry Lewis.  They really crafted a sound together.  It skews a bit more RnB then straight pop like some of her 90s stuff.  There are quite a few bops on it:

Nasty / Control / What Have you Done for me Lately / Pleasure principle** / Lets Wait Awhile

It's the album that invented New Jack Swing. And The Velvet Rope invented alt-R&B. Control hugely influenced Michael Jackson's Bad, Rhythm Nation influenced Dangerous, and The Velvet Rope influences almost every serious R&B artist today. 

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

It looks like it’s Serbia’s biggest Janet fan! 

https://mobile.twitter.com/jntsrb?lang=en

Just now, jntsrb said:

It's the album that invented New Jack Swing. And The Velvet Rope invented alt-R&B. Control hugely influenced Michael Jackson's Bad, Rhythm Nation influenced Dangerous, and The Velvet Rope influences almost every serious R&B artist today. 

And this is the problem with her legacy.  That's one genre that has yet to be rehabilitated.  Still sounds dated as hell to me.

12 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

And this is the problem with her legacy.  That's one genre that has yet to be rehabilitated.  Still sounds dated as hell to me.

How's that a problem? Control is listed as one of the best albums on all possible lists, often in Top 10 above any album by Madonna and only behind Thriller when it comes to Michael. She has many timeless songs that sound like they were recorded yesterday. Control is not her entire career. BTW, Prince was performing one of her songs from that album at almost all of his tours.  The list of artists who covered her songs is really huge, from pop superstars like Timberlake, Pink, Usher, Destiny's Child Britney Spears, Aguilera etc to amazing indie artists and jazz legends and Heavy Metal bands.

I'm really impressed by how she's managing to headline the world's biggest festivals (even if she's not headlining this one), having a world tour, Vegas residency, No. 1 albums and singles around the world and performing at all major music awards in the world in her 50s. How many artists from the 80s are still doing anything of this? She's doing all of this nearly 40 years after her first single and it's really amazing. Can you imagine Cindy Lauper or Duran Duran or anybody else doing all of this or anything of this?

Edited by jntsrb

5 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

The way he/she posted that screenshot of Janet's old tweet expressing her love for Michael a couple of weeks ago makes it look like he/she actually hates her.

? yeah I thought that!

Can we assume that as they’ve had to go back to 2014 to find that, Janet realised what her bro was really up to about 4 or 5 years ago? 

11 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

New Jack Swing is a dated term, but her influence is still everywhere in modern hip hop and r'n'b.  Solange is clearly a massive fan.

• Like 1