Janet Jackson Headlining?

LastWaltz

2 minutes ago, Northtim said:

Hope it isn't like Emile Sande last time for JJ.  Wandered past an almost empty Other Stage n 2017 as Emile belted out her read all about it hit to a tragically small crowd.

I think that was largely due to all of her audience being at the Pyramid Stage for Ed Sheeran.   Really bizarre placing.

1 minute ago, jntsrb said:

Forget about Justin. Janet's music is so respected that she has 4 albums at almost all relevant lists of the best albums ever made. Often in Top 10. Think about Janet as an innovative and influential musician, not about Janet as the best-paid music artist in history. She is, and Brits made her the best-paid but that's irrelevant for this festival. Her artistry is the reason. She's respected.

Sure, and if this was a festival made up of 120,000 Janelle Monae clones who cite her as a defining influence on their life then she would headline on that basis. But unfortunately it's packed with millennials who wouldn't know her from Adam.

2 hours ago, danbailey80 said:

I very keen that Emily is clearly trying to add more details artists. Just wish it was First Aid Kit and not Janet Jackson. I.E someone who's good.

Great stuff. On the beeb article it said 42% of the poster are female and added "We're a little way off being 50/50 across the whole festival, but in 2017 the Park Stage was 50/50 and that will be the case on other stages this year. We're definitely moving in the right direction", so sounds like there's a fair chance of you getting your wish too ?

Edited by clarkete

I won't be replying here anymore on this topic. Only time will tell. She's one of the biggest music legends ever and of the most innovative artists. She deserves to be at this festival and that's all that matters. I'm just happy she'll finally be there, and people will be disrespecting her just like any other artist, depending on their musical taste and knowledge. That's normal.

Edited by jntsrb
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, jntsrb said:

I won't be replying here anymore on this topic. Only time will tell. She's one of the biggest music legends ever and of the most innovative artists. She deserves to be at this festival and that's all taht matters. I'm sjut happy she'll finally be there.

She certainly deserves to be there, and whoever watches her will have a great time, just don't be expecting her to draw the hordes away from Catfish and the Beesknees or whatever other shite is on the Other at the same time. It'll be exactly the same as Mary J Blige, albeit hopefully without the driving rain.