So whose getting ready for next year?

glastolover19

On 8/18/2018 at 11:01 AM, amfy said:

The weird thing was, when we watched it on the telly it was no different to when we'd been there - as the TV coverage is of an almost completely different festival to the one we go to anyway!

We deliberately missed 2014 and 2016. In 2015 we went but we completely changed our pace and priorities & had one of our best ever! In 2016 we really felt we'd dodged a bullet! In our years off we went to some other festivals which offered us some new experiences. Only Glastonbury is Glastonbury, but everything else isn't V fest, and loads of other festivals offer a great experience too. In 2017 we'd been to Sziget (2nd year in a row and we were nearly off again with another festival!) so couldn't afford Glastobury as well so I worked it with Shelter - that was another new experience which freshened the whole thing up for me and brought back the magic.

There was a time when I pretty much felt like I HAD to be there every year and it was a bit of a revelation to realise that is not how I should feel about something I love and enjoy. Wanting to go to Glastonbury should not just be out of FOMO, & now it isn't. We are now at a point where we DECIDE whether (or not) to go to Glastonbury & I feel our relationship with it is better for that - although I wouldn't swap our 'We'll go every year til we die!' years for anything! I feel like it's something we will always do, but it doesn't have to be every time anymore. I had to let go of some kind of fear I had of not being a 'proper' Glastonbury person anymore, but I now see that missing the odd one can't take that away from me!

When you changed the pace and priorities - what did you do?

One of my friends remarked at the end of last years we need to change our approach to drinking and substance use as it was leaving with us no energy by Saturday.  We are now in our mid-late 30s but i think we still go at it like we are still 24!

9 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

One of my friends remarked at the end of last years we need to change our approach to drinking and substance use as it was leaving with us no energy by Saturday.  We are now in our mid-late 30s but i think we still go at it like we are still 24!

I find that loads of food and water and a few beers / ciders during the day, plus some more relaxing "extras", means I can switch to spirits and more fun stuff once I get into the evening sets, means I generally don't wake up too rough the day after and still have some beans left for Sunday.

It's hitting it too hard too early that kills me.  And that's a similar age bracket to yours :)

As I can’t moderate my alcohol intake, I stopped drinking altogether nearly 3 years ago and have since done many sober festivals, gigs, parties and holidays.

It’s a totally different experience but I highly recommend it to those that fear Glasto without doing it full on - especially if you can’t moderate. 

Edited by ian the worm
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

As I can’t moderate my alcohol intake, I stopped drinking altogether nearly 3 years ago and have since done many sober festivals, gigs, parties and holidays.

It’s a totally different experience but I highly recommend it to those that fear Glasto without doing it full on - especially if you can’t moderate. 

Is that completely clean Ian?  More power to you!

10 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

1 hour ago, Quark said:

I find that loads of food and water and a few beers / ciders during the day, plus some more relaxing "extras", means I can switch to spirits and more fun stuff once I get into the evening sets, means I generally don't wake up too rough the day after and still have some beans left for Sunday.

It's hitting it too hard too early that kills me.  And that's a similar age bracket to yours :)

That’s definitely one thing. We used to start drinking at festivals the minute we woke up but now will be on water, smoothies or coffees until at least lunch time. Somewhere between 2-4 we’ll begin to have the odd pint, but we don’t start really drinking til later in the day......but tbf, that was already happening before our break.

We went on Thursday instead of Wednesday and accepted that we’d be camping in Bushy/Pylon ground. Didn’t have any problem finding a spot. Again this was letting go of the FOMO. We are in our mid 50s - 4 days under canvas is enough. I’ve been there many times on Wednesday and I love it, but in the end, I could love Sunday more without it!

Unless it was someone we absolutely HAD to see, we didn’t leave the tent til mid afternoon. We found there was no-one in this category. We stopped rushing around to see ANYONE we knew 2 tunes by, or ‘sounded interesting’ and rationed this. We spent a whole afternoon/early evening at Theatre/circus/cabaret which was a lot more sitting down.

when I worked it with Shelter, I couldn’t drink as much. Firstly I wasn’t drinking when working, then I wasn’t drinking much before working, and Thirdly, I wouldn’t want to drink enough for a hangover if I was working in the morning! 

I also found that tiredness from work changed what acts I chose to see because I wasn’t prepared to walk miles for anyone who wasn’t an exceptional case, so I ended up seeing a wider variety of acts. This sounds counter intuitive but it’s because I didn’t always head for the obvious. This changed the way I’d started to approach Glastonbury a lot and made it much more like the Glastonbury of my youth that was filled with experiences and interactions rather than names.

Now we have the caravan, we will sleep better, not have to face the lugging stuff across the site, and this gives us a bit of energy back, but the not rushing to get out there/get wrecked/see as many acts as possible will stay with us.

22 minutes ago, amfy said:

We went on Thursday instead of Wednesday and accepted that we’d be camping in Bushy/Pylon ground. Didn’t have any problem finding a spot. Again this was letting go of the FOMO. We are in our mid 50s - 4 days under canvas is enough. I’ve been there many times on Wednesday and I love it, but in the end, I could love Sunday more without it!

Ah the Wednesday dilemma.  As Mrs Q likes to point out I am a MASSIVE sucker for FOMO.

I think the bigger thing for Wed, at least for me, is that it's such a different experience.  It's almost like having two festivals, Wed - Thu and Fri - Sun. From a money's worth point of view it's a no-brainer, but I'm also still in decent enough physical shape for that extra night in the tent to not be a killer!

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Ah the Wednesday dilemma.  As Mrs Q likes to point out I am a MASSIVE sucker for FOMO.

I think the bigger thing for Wed, at least for me, is that it's such a different experience.  It's almost like having two festivals, Wed - Thu and Fri - Sun. From a money's worth point of view it's a no-brainer, but I'm also still in decent enough physical shape for that extra night in the tent to not be a killer!

Yes - I miss Wednesday - and when we went on Thursday I became massively frustrated at Mr Amfy for not wanting set out at the crack of dawn, or start the wandering all over the site the moment the tent was set up! .....but I did have better energy on the rest of the weekend for the slower start.

The truth is we all age differently. There are people running marathons in their 90s whilst others have knees that will never run again in their 50s. We both work quite hard at staying in shape, but sometimes our bodies have different ideas! I reached the point that I had to know I was better to really enjoy half a Glastonbury, than half enjoy a whole one!

Edited by amfy
Typo

I'm a big fan of the Wednesday, sadly my job isn't. I got the time last year and could probably push for it next (if the tickets god's smile on me!), but my wife hates me going for the full time and leaving the kids with her. Especially as she's back in work after maternity now.

The more sensible option might be me driving down the Thursday afternoon (thus making the site by 7-9), and my mates will be there having set up already.

Totally unprepared this morning my friend told me about prodigy presale tickets so I had to quickly register email and get the code then got through to this ...argh !! 1 refresh and I was in :) ... off to see them in Plymouth .... hope the Glastonbury tickets is just as easy :) I will be prepared at least !!

CAB6BD83-D529-41F4-B016-18A67EFFEA00.jpg

59 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Totally unprepared this morning my friend told me about prodigy presale tickets so I had to quickly register email and get the code then got through to this ...argh !! 1 refresh and I was in :) ... off to see them in Plymouth .... hope the Glastonbury tickets is just as easy :) I will be prepared at least !!

I got Liverpool ones really easily in comparison to Manchester last year!

3 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

This has totally taken me by surprise too. I now have the presale ticket code but as I'm not organised I have no-one to go with as yet.....hopefully they will have some left by the time I convince someone to come with! (I have yet to find the balls to go to such a thing solo - but I will work on that at some point, but probs with something a little smaller than the Prodigy)

Edited by Sasperella

Checked in and Brighton tickets are still available for 5th Nov.  Only issue is I've already got Rolling Blackouts on Tue 23rd, First Aid Kit on Tue 30th, Chainska Brassika on Wed 7th and The Beths on Sat 10th.  Just not sure I can fit another one in!

Edited by Quark

2 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Today I built the ribbon tower ... usually one of the first visible things on site .... although dont think its ever been built in August before 

IMG_2072.jpg

That’s looking awesome! Good work! ?

23 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Thanks so much for posting this yesterday - I now have tickets for me and two friends for London ? Which very much makes up for the horrible disappointment of last year when those Christmas dates sold out in 2 minutes!

36 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Thanks so much for posting this yesterday - I now have tickets for me and two friends for London ? Which very much makes up for the horrible disappointment of last year when those Christmas dates sold out in 2 minutes!

happy to help ... I knew nothing about it until my friend rang me and said I needed to purchase 2 tickets if I wanted to go as he had already got the max of 4 with his card.....Its adding to my list of prearranged holiday ...should I have a new employer by then :) ....just waiting for a light up face to arrive for the gig 

On 8/22/2018 at 12:09 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

You have to pay for the whole coach ticket plus your £50 deposit.

Quick question on this (appreciate it's a heinous one and unlikely to come up, but just wondering: if you decide not to pay the balance on your deposit come April, do you get the whole coach ticket refunded too? Minus the admin fee (a tenner?). I presume so as that's how coach packages can go on sale in the resale...?

11 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Quick question on this (appreciate it's a heinous one and unlikely to come up, but just wondering: if you decide not to pay the balance on your deposit come April, do you get the whole coach ticket refunded too? Minus the admin fee (a tenner?). I presume so as that's how coach packages can go on sale in the resale...?

From memory yes - you do get your money back, but I think the deposit is twice as large. But I might have remembered that completely wrong. I'd check the site for details.