Mad Cool 2019

Rico_Pliskin

On 12/7/2018 at 3:10 PM, The Martini Police said:

Greta Van Fleet nominated for 4 Grammys. Best new artist, best rock performance, best rock song and best rock album. @dentalplan will be chuffed.

Heh, I don't really have a massive thing against them. They are just The Old Normal. :lol:

Anyway, Thom Yorke seemingly ruled out for this by Lazaretto on FAR. Not sure if it's just the Google Translate but "Thom tours alone and we are not interested" seems quite harsh, not that I can't kinda see why.

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 12:32 AM, clasher said:

Jizzus mate, don't you like the new normal? I honestly want to go to NOS Alive, but with all the male artists, it just seems a bit too sexist for me. I mean you wouldn't sacrifice the gender equality just for the sake of a quality lineup, would you? 

Gender representation shouldn't play a part in what people enjoy at a festival. I want to see the best bands possible regardless of gender, if they all happened to be male, fine, and likewise if they were female, also fine. If ten of my favourite bands were playing at a festival who happened to be male, I wouldn't be concerning myself with how many female bands there were. If they booked Paramore instead of Weezer so that they'd have more gender representation I'd be pretty annoyed.

Edited by moz4pm

2 minutes ago, moz4pm said:

Gender representation shouldn't play a part in what people enjoy at a festival. I want to see the best bands possible regardless of gender, if they all happened to be male, fine, and likewise if they were female, also fine. If ten of my favourite bands were playing at a festival who happened to be male, I wouldn't be concerning myself with how many female bands there were.

I think he was being sarcastic. As a customer you can do what you want really, but festivals should have an onus to book a more balanced lineup. Though, saying that, you can argue that Primavera aren't even doing that and are genuinely just booking acts who - according to critics - are the best possible.

Just had a big chat with my partner and we're pretty much decided on this. Bon Iver and The National headlining separate days is too much to turn down, and that's without even considering the rest of the lineup, which looks ace. 

How many acts are left to announce do we think? I've heard this year the lineup is being downsized a bit - is that true? Honestly I'm happy with it as is, so anything else would be a bonus. Just wondering how much more to expect?

And please, Bon Iver are a worthy headliner. Their show will put most "bigger" acts to shame. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, jparx said:

Just had a big chat with my partner and we're pretty much decided on this. Bon Iver and The National headlining separate days is too much to turn down, and that's without even considering the rest of the lineup, which looks ace. 

How many acts are left to announce do we think? I've heard this year the lineup is being downsized a bit - is that true? Honestly I'm happy with it as is, so anything else would be a bonus. Just wondering how much more to expect?

And please, Bon Iver are a worthy headliner. Their show will put most "bigger" acts to shame. 

They responded to someone on Twitter the day that poster came out saying it's only 40% of the line up, so quite a few big names to come I'd imagine, they've only reduced it from 7 stages to 6 and there were 2-3 stages I barely visited this year, obviously that goes down to personal taste but I don't think it will affect the line up quality too much.

Edited by AAlex
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, jparx said:

They said that the current poster is 40% of the acts, so there are about 55 acts left to come - about 40 of which will arrive before Christmas.

Bon Iver might be very good but it's certainly not unreasonable to think there will be a bigger headliner on their day, even if Bon Iver are also billed as headliner. Same with The National. It's not a slight against either of them, it's like expecting an act bigger than Bon Iver on their day at Glastonbury.

1 minute ago, AAlex said:

They responded to someone on Twitter the day that poster came out saying it's only 40% of the line up, so quite a few big names to come I'd imagine, they've only reduced it from 7 stages to 6 and there were 2-3 stages I barely visited this year, obviously that goes down to personal taste but I don't think it will affect the line up quality too much.

Ooh that's exciting! I'll probably see The Cure at Glastonbury so someone good against them would be the icing on the cake.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

Ooh that's exciting! I'll probably see The Cure at Glastonbury so someone good against them would be the icing on the cake.

I'm assuming they'll keep the two main stages so it'll be someone on a smaller stage clashing with The Cure, but even the other stages had the likes of Post Malone, Alice in Chains, Justice and Massive Attack (until they cancelled) on them.

They alternate the two main stage stages, so Thursday this year for example it went Tame Impala>Pearl Jam>Kasabian>MGMT. I think there's another to come for Thursday, possibly for after Bon Iver, someone on 2nd main stage in between SP and The National on Friday and Saturday could be missing a couple of big names.

Quite difficult to call for who's left, any big names that are about so far have either been announced or ruled out.

1 hour ago, moz4pm said:

Gender representation shouldn't play a part in what people enjoy at a festival. I want to see the best bands possible regardless of gender, if they all happened to be male, fine, and likewise if they were female, also fine. If ten of my favourite bands were playing at a festival who happened to be male, I wouldn't be concerning myself with how many female bands there were. If they booked Paramore instead of Weezer so that they'd have more gender representation I'd be pretty annoyed.

Not to open the same debate again, it was a very cynical response on the debate we had in the Primavera topic I couldn't resist.

I agree with you completely.

Back on topic, although we can't expect a lineup as grand as this year's, there's surely a lot of big names for the main two stages to come, along with a bunch of the Loop acts. Will be interesting to see exactly what, though.

3 hours ago, AAlex said:

I'm assuming they'll keep the two main stages so it'll be someone on a smaller stage clashing with The Cure, but even the other stages had the likes of Post Malone, Alice in Chains, Justice and Massive Attack (until they cancelled) on them.

They alternate the two main stage stages, so Thursday this year for example it went Tame Impala>Pearl Jam>Kasabian>MGMT. I think there's another to come for Thursday, possibly for after Bon Iver, someone on 2nd main stage in between SP and The National on Friday and Saturday could be missing a couple of big names.

Quite difficult to call for who's left, any big names that are about so far have either been announced or ruled out.

Well actually Slaves>Eels>Fleet Foxes>Tame Impala>Pearl Jam>Kasabian>MGMT. Terrible day :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lighthouse said:

At Werchter I saw "Albert Hammond Jr. > IDLES > David Byrne > Nine Inch Nails > Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds > Arctic Monkeys" Not too shabby either. ☺️  

I was there too :lol: was a heavy couple of weeks for me... but at least Rock Werchter came first this year rather than after Glastonbury in 2017. The line ups have been too tempting the last couple of years, despite my liver and bank balance arguing otherwise!

• Like 1

Besides that thursday let’s not forget the crazy Friday and Saturday schedules. QOTSA/Depeche Mode/NIN/Dua Lipa/Underworld on Saturday and my favorite Jack White/Arctic Monkeys/Franz Ferdinand all three in 5 hours. I don’t think I will ever see a day schedule that will include three of my favorite bands back to back

If true... Quite some options. The Chemical Brothers would make sense, not spectacular. Dave Matthews Band, Incubus, Portishead, or why not: Oasis. You guys probably have some better ideas.

Edit: shouldn't have put Oasis in or I came first :lol:

Edit2: was gonna say Rancid, but I see they were at MC in 2017.

Edited by StupidDream

15 hours ago, Hbn1 said:

Announcement incoming midday Tuesday guys!! 1991...?

where did you see this??? i don’t think if that’s true it’ll be oasis since theyve already confirmed Noel but i heard rumours about RATM coming back, do you think it’s possible? also, how strong are Strokes rumours? seems weird to me that they get together when Albert Hammond Jr has just released an album but i’m dying to see them live 

42 minutes ago, anacostales said:

where did you see this??? i don’t think if that’s true it’ll be oasis since theyve already confirmed Noel but i heard rumours about RATM coming back, do you think it’s possible? also, how strong are Strokes rumours? seems weird to me that they get together when Albert Hammond Jr has just released an album but i’m dying to see them live 

RATM will not comeback. Prophets of Rage have dates and (as far as I remember) a new album TBA