Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

2 hours ago, Wooderson said:

There were no issues in Madrid. There are with the England side in Portugal. Tiny fraction of the travelling support seen the previous weekend. There is an issue within England's travelling fan base. In previous years there might have been a case to tar all English fans. This week at least there is a clear difference.

Thats my point.

Maybe it's just me but I can make sense of that paragraph. 

There were some issues with Liverpool fans in Madrid, nothing major though. 

My point is that England fans are no worse than any other clubs fans when travelling abroad. At the end of the day, almost all England fans will also support a club and I can't see why they would behave any differently whether they are watching their club team abroad or their national team abroad. The minority of dickheads will still be dickheads.

Edit: just to clarify, I'm talking about English clubs

Edited by CRW5252

15 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

Maybe it's just me but I can make sense of that paragraph. 

There were some issues with Liverpool fans in Madrid, nothing major though. 

My point is that England fans are no worse than any other clubs fans when travelling abroad. At the end of the day, almost all England fans will also support a club and I can't see why they would behave any differently whether they are watching their club team abroad or their national team abroad. The minority of dickheads will still be dickheads.

Edit: just to clarify, I'm talking about English clubs

What were the issues last week 

I don't think the defence is our problem. If you are going to play out from the back, you need options to pass to in the middle of the park and players who can retain the ball on the turn. 

Not going to get too down as England have plenty of good players on the cusp of breaking through. 

Small margins, we were an inch from winning the match. That goal stands and everyone is praising Stones for being brave and passing it out from the back.

As a City fan i am kind of worried though as history shows no matter how good a footballer Stones can be, he has plenty of ricks in him. To be fair though, people have raved about De Ligt. He just looks like Richard Dunne to me. No bad thing as Dunne was far better than people gave his credit for, but De Ligt is nowhere near as good as people make out. No chance I would be paying stupid money to have him as Kompanys replacement.

18 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

:lol: 

Man City players fuck up and they're not the problem. :lol: 

Every player makes mistakes. Long term though I don't see the defence as a problem. Trent Alexander Arnold will come in for Walker and I do think Stones and Maguire will make a decent centre half pairing. Chillwell is more than good enough at left back. There is also Joe Gomez to come in. I am not trying to absolve any City players from any blame. Just stating that I do not see the defence as being a problem. 

Easy to blame Stones after last night. He did not have a great game but we did not play to his strengths. He is not a dominating, ball winning centre half in the Tony Adams mould, he is a poor mans Rio Ferdinand. No disgrace in that, Ferdinand is the best English centre half of my lifetime.

If we are going to play out from the back, we need midfielders who can keep the ball, recycle the ball and play the killer pass when the opportunity arises. Last night we did not have that. If your defenders are told to play out from the back but your midfielders do not present options or can not keep hold of the ball in tight situations then you are going to have problems. Might as well just hoof it forward like every England team has done for the last 20 years. Where has that got us?

This England team/squad is heading the right direction. No need to be too down hearted after last night

8 hours ago, eastynh said:

I would rather have Foden and Winks.

Than RLC? You've got to be kidding? Have you seen Loftus-Cheek play this season?

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

next summer it'll be Ox in that role.

With everyone back from injury we will certainly have a few more options than currently. 

42 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Than RLC? You've got to be kidding? Have you seen Loftus-Cheek play this season?

With everyone back from injury we will certainly have a few more options than currently. 

I seen him run about like a headless chicken at the Etihad for half hour. Unfair to make a judgement just based on that game given the circumstances.

You see a lot more of him than me, but from watching him on tv, I can't remember him taking the game by the scruff of the neck against a top team, 

He may blossom next season as he will surely be given more responsibility but at  present he looks more like Ross Barkley than Frank Lampard. I have not seen anything as of yet to suggest he could be a main stay of the international team or get into any top team in Europe on a regular basis.

As mentioned though, I don't watch him every week, I only see the MOTD highlights reel or the odd full match on TV. You see him more than me, can he play a deeper roll? Could he play where Rice played last night? Does he have the technique and vision to control games from deep.

Big season for him next season, with your transfer ban upcoming and no Hazard to bail you's out, you need him to stand up and show more than flashes against fodder.

Edited by eastynh

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

true, but last night the costly errors were the work of Man City defenders, and you say the defence isn't the problem. 

Take about club blinkers.

What on earth are you talking about. No one mentioned anything about club football. You should work for Uefa. You take one sentence and quote it totally of context. You totally disregarded the part where I said I am worried about Stones and the fact he has a rick in him.

The city defence can't be that bad, it conceeded 39 goals in 61 games without any defensive midfielders. It is all about the system. 

17 minutes ago, eastynh said:

No one mentioned anything about club football.

true.

So tell me, why do you think the defence isn't the problem when the defence was *VERY* clearly the problem last night. 

If you want to refer me to what you've already said, that plays a part - the minor part - for the 3rd goal, but it's an irrelevant crock for the 2nd.

Seems a bit of a coincidence that you're free passing those 2 guilty defenders when they happen to be from your club.

Edited by eFestivals

21 minutes ago, eastynh said:

It is all about the system.

crap.

Stones had a brain-fart that was fuck all to do with the system, and (for the 3rd) whatever the system a decent defender would have booted the ball upfield rather than played a risky pass towards the goal with the dutch closing down on the England players.

Edited by eFestivals

2 hours ago, eastynh said:

He may blossom next season as he will surely be given more responsibility but at  present he looks more like Ross Barkley than Frank Lampard. I have not seen anything as of yet to suggest he could be a main stay of the international team or get into any top team in Europe on a regular basis.

As mentioned though, I don't watch him every week, I only see the MOTD highlights reel or the odd full match on TV. You see him more than me, can he play a deeper roll? Could he play where Rice played last night? Does he have the technique and vision to control games from deep.

I think the best is yet to come. He only played 983 mins in the league so the equivalent of like 11 games but managed to score 6 goals and get 2 assists. As you said, chances are you've not seen much because of those minutes. A bit like myself with Foden.

I think he is the real deal though and I'm not just saying that. I'm hoping he makes a full recovery from injury and comes back even stronger because I don't see too many other English mids with similar qualities. He's definitely not suited to a deeper role because he loves to carry the ball forward and take on players. He would leave gaps if asked to play that role. He is very strong on the ball and for a big lad his control is great. Players find it hard to dispossess him so he either moves the ball further up the pitch or they end up fouling him.