Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

true.

So tell me, why do you think the defence isn't the problem when the defence was *VERY* clearly the problem last night. 

If you want to refer me to what you've already said, that plays a part - the minor part - for the 3rd goal, but it's an irrelevant crock for the 2nd.

Seems a bit of a coincidence that you're free passing those 2 guilty defenders when they happen to be from your club.

As I said, everyone makes mistakes, shit happens. De Ligt made an absolute howler and he is rated as the greatest up and coming cb in world football. Sancho missed a gilt edged header from 4 yards out, you are not blaming him. Lingard has no excuse for being offside, you are not blaming him. You just seem to want to single out City players.

I don't think the defence is a concern going forward where as you seem to be concerned about the City players in it. Citys defence looked ok to me last season.

I gave my reasons why I don't think the defence is a concern, quite extensively. You have not rebutted any the of the reasons I proposed and just waffled on about City defenders.

All players have bad games, shit happens. 

2 minutes ago, eastynh said:

As I said, everyone makes mistakes, shit happens.

Yup, and when shit happens with the defenders there's a problem with the defenders.

3 minutes ago, eastynh said:

You just seem to want to single out City players.

Nope, if I was singling out anything it was your comment.

I'm simply saying the major problem last night was with those defenders and not the system.

It wasn't the system that caused Stones to have a brain fart or Walker to play a bad pass to an area he shouldn't (at that moment) have played that pass.

The rest of the team were crap but despite that we were in the game - until those two defensive howlers.

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Yup, and when shit happens with the defenders there's a problem with the defenders.

I'm simply saying the major problem last night was with those defenders and not the system.

It wasn't the system that caused Stones to have a brain fart or Walker to play a bad pass to an area he shouldn't (at that moment) have played that pass.

The rest of the team were crap but despite that we were in the game - until those two defensive howlers.

Laporte made 2 absolute howlers against Spurs, which was a far bigger match than last nights. He was probably responsible for ruining any chance City had of winning the quadruple. Would you say there was a problem with Laporte or Citys defence?

2 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Laporte made 2 absolute howlers against Spurs, which was a far bigger match than last nights. He was probably responsible for ruining any chance City had of winning the quadruple. Would you say there was a problem with Laporte or Citys defence?

no idea, it's not a game I watched.

1 hour ago, jyoung said:

I think the best is yet to come. He only played 983 mins in the league so the equivalent of like 11 games but managed to score 6 goals and get 2 assists. As you said, chances are you've not seen much because of those minutes. A bit like myself with Foden.

I think he is the real deal though and I'm not just saying that. I'm hoping he makes a full recovery from injury and comes back even stronger because I don't see too many other English mids with similar qualities. He's definitely not suited to a deeper role because he loves to carry the ball forward and take on players. He would leave gaps if asked to play that role. He is very strong on the ball and for a big lad his control is great. Players find it hard to dispossess him so he either moves the ball further up the pitch or they end up fouling him.

To get the best out of him then, you need two defensive minded midfielders either side of him which would allow him the freedom to break through. You are then buiding a team around him and playing to his strengths. You are relying on him to do all the work rather than the ball. To play that role you need to be as good as Yaya Toure. Lets hope he has it in him.

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

How is the defence a problem when the two 'mistakes' the defence had no one to pass to. 

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

no idea, it's not a game I watched.

Regardless of whether you saw that particular match or not, would you say there was a problem with Laporte or Citys defence in general? As the mistakes Laporte made in the Spurs match were every bit as bad, if not worse than the mistakes made last night.

2 hours ago, santowhir said:

How is the defence a problem when the two 'mistakes' the defence had no one to pass to. 

:lol: 

Stones had all the time and space in the world to play a pass. Instead he decided to fall over his feet.

Walker was more rushed, but he played the pass short to Barkley which caused Barkley to fuck up; Walker should never have played the pass to Barkley anyway as Barkley was being closed down; and the first rule of defending - safety first - says Walker should have booted it upfield, or even put it out to the side of him.

Of the two I think Walker's is the bigger crime. Too short, to a bad position, and not doing what he's there to do - defend. At least Stones didn't mean to do what he did; and fuck-ups sometimes happen. 

2 hours ago, eastynh said:

Regardless of whether you saw that particular match or not, would you say there was a problem with Laporte or Citys defence in general? As the mistakes Laporte made in the Spurs match were every bit as bad, if not worse than the mistakes made last night.

100% impossible for me to judge. I don't know what Laporte was doing or City's defence.

And I wasn't trying to have a worse-defence-ever competition. Last night stands up by itself.

2 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

To me Stones is getting the typical backlash that #thenextbigthing gets a couple of years after being massively overhyped. RLC will almost certainly get it in 2-3 years as well.

I agree, I also being English adds to the hype. It makes them more money, but adds to those looking to knock them down.

Good luck to Stevie Clarke today. Extremely happy to see him get the job but as he says “ he’s not a magician ‘.

A good performance and a win today against Cyprus followed by a good performance but defeat away in Belgium next week will be a start ?

Very sad news about Justin Edinburgh. The 90s was my favourite era in football and I have a soft spot for those good, but not great characters.

As a manager he was often the architect of Wrexham downfall in one play off final and two big top of the table clashes last season. He always came across well in interviews and I got the impression the players loved him.

A lot of the successful managers at this level you feel are just suited to the level, but I felt Edinburgh could have had success higher up the pyramid.