Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

1 hour ago, CRW5252 said:

I was just taking the piss. 

There has been problems with Liverpool fans in the past, just like there's been problems with England fans.

Who bloody cares anyway. Anyone that causes trouble is a bellend, regardless of what team they support. 

I'm sure the take the piss line is used by the same dickheads kicking off in Portugal.

A ban is looking likely for travelling fans. Seen various people suggesting this in recent days. 

7 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

dunno about disaster. He's looked competent enough, tho Chelsea probably need someone with something more than that.

As I said, we need somebody who knows the club. The next few years aren't going to be normal for Chelsea and if we are unable to register players we will need to use what we've got.

Morris coached all levels at Chels and Lamps knows the club inside and out. Of course, it doesn't guarantee results but it's worth the risk in my opinion because we aren't going to be able to play 50 odd games next year with the likes of Pedro, Willian and Giroud starting each one.

6 minutes ago, jyoung said:

As I said, we need somebody who knows the club. The next few years aren't going to be normal for Chelsea and if we are unable to register players we will need to use what we've got.

Morris coached all levels at Chels and Lamps knows the club inside and out. Of course, it doesn't guarantee results but it's worth the risk in my opinion because we aren't going to be able to play 50 odd games next year with the likes of Pedro, Willian and Giroud starting each one.

What would you consider to be a successful season with Lampard and Morris? Reckon it'll be better or worse than the one under Sarri? 

23 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

dunno about disaster. He's looked competent enough, tho Chelsea probably need someone with something more than that.

Derby finished top 6 and then beat a team in the play offs with less money and worse players, to me thats about par.

I struggle to see how anyone can draw any conclusions (hugely positive or negative) on his first season.

4 minutes ago, Dan R said:

What would you consider to be a successful season with Lampard and Morris? Reckon it'll be better or worse than the one under Sarri? 

Worse, unfortunately.

Hazard is leaving. Looks like Higuain and Kovacic could be returning to their clubs plus Cahill has been released so we're already potentially minus four players and unable to bring any newbies in (except Pulisic obv). Not to mention Hudson-Odoi and Loftus-Cheek both out with long term injuries.

So purely from a squad perspective it's looking pretty bleak numbers wise. It's interesting as the fans will want to see Tammy, Mount, James etc be given a chance and I think in these circumstances they would be. But obviously the club would have to sacrifice it's desire for constant immediate success given those circumstances.

I generally think knows the club stuff is nonsense. I don't think that history or emotional connection matters more than being competent. 

That said, Lampard does seem competent, but someone with a good record with young players would surely be preferable? 

20 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

Derby finished top 6 and then beat a team in the play offs with less money and worse players, to me thats about par.

I struggle to see how anyone can draw any conclusions (hugely positive or negative) on his first season.

Derby worse players than Leeds or better? as a leeds fan I struggle to see any of our players getting into that Derby team (but if that's the point you were making then ignore me)

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

I'm sure the take the piss line is used by the same dickheads kicking off in Portugal. 

Maybe, what's your point? 

1 hour ago, Wooderson said:

A ban is looking likely for travelling fans. Seen various people suggesting this in recent days. 

They didn't show the champions league final anywhere in Madrid due to worries about fan issues. 

England fans have a minority of dickheads, just like Liverpool do. 

The way Chelsea fans treated Sarri is bizzare to me. He's a top manager with a proven record (yes, he hadn't won a trophy before Chelsea but he'd never managed a bigger club than Napoli). First season under him has been good, a European trophy and a top 4 finish. Couldn't really have asked for much more. 

If I was Sarri I'd go to Juve, as he'll be more appreciated there and wouldn't have to worry about a transfer ban. I can see him doing very well there. 

Lampard would be a big downgrade in my opinion. He needs to have a few more seasons managing a lesser team before he steps up. 

3 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

I generally think knows the club stuff is nonsense. I don't think that history or emotional connection matters more than being competent. 

That said, Lampard does seem competent, but someone with a good record with young players would surely be preferable? 

It's not just a case of, Lamps is a legend, bring him back. Identity wise we've been in limbo since players like Cech, Drogba, A.Cole, Terry and Lamps left. Sure we've won trophies but with regular accusations that the players aren't motivated to play for Chelsea and down tools too quickly. We've seen so many breakdowns between staff (Mourinho, Conte and Sarri) and players.

It's not gonna be as easy to win trophies under the transfer new ban when we're losing our best player, that's a fact. I think the club wants to reaffirm it's identity and getting some staff in who know the club and young players who want to play for Chelsea would do us a bit of good given the current circumstances.*

As for a good record... Lamps played a loanee from the Chelsea and Liverpool academy in almost every game this season and moved plenty of youngsters into Derby's first team. Jody Morris coached at every level of Chelsea academy and has openly spoken about it being one of the best and bringing more of them through so surely that's reason to suggest they would.

*If we weren't banned from signing players, I wouldn't be saying any of this but we are so there you go.

8 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

They didn't show the champions league final anywhere in Madrid due to worries about fan issues. 

Presumably you mean large screens in a fan park type of thing and not the hundreds and hundreds of bars that were happy to show the game and count the takings?

Does the club you follow have a minority of dickheads (ruling out yourself?)or are they all great chaps and gals?

3 minutes ago, jyoung said:

It's not just a case of, Lamps is a legend, bring him back. Identity wise we've been in limbo since players like Cech, Drogba, A.Cole, Terry and Lamps left. Sure we've won trophies but with regular accusations that the players aren't motivated to play for Chelsea and down tools too quickly. We've seen so many breakdowns between staff (Mourinho, Conte and Sarri) and players.

It's not gonna be as easy to win trophies under the transfer new ban when we're losing our best player, that's a fact. I think the club wants to reaffirm it's identity and getting some staff in who know the club and young players who want to play for Chelsea would do us a bit of good given the current circumstances.*

As for a good record... Lamps played a loanee from the Chelsea and Liverpool academy in almost every game this season and moved plenty of youngsters into Derby's first team. Jody Morris coached at every level of Chelsea academy and has openly spoken about it being one of the best and bringing more of them through so surely that's reason to suggest they would.

*If we weren't banned from signing players, I wouldn't be saying any of this but we are so there you go.

The club has needed someone who will look internally and long term instead of signing players they know for about 8 years. The problem is noone trusts Abrahamovich to give them time, so they look short term. I'm not sure I see Lampard being the one to break this cycle. 

36 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Worse, unfortunately.

Hazard is leaving. Looks like Higuain and Kovacic could be returning to their clubs plus Cahill has been released so we're already potentially minus four players and unable to bring any newbies in (except Pulisic obv). Not to mention Hudson-Odoi and Loftus-Cheek both out with long term injuries.

So purely from a squad perspective it's looking pretty bleak numbers wise. It's interesting as the fans will want to see Tammy, Mount, James etc be given a chance and I think in these circumstances they would be. But obviously the club would have to sacrifice it's desire for constant immediate success given those circumstances.

As a Wales fan, I would like to see Ampadu get game time easy at Chelsea or elsewhere. I fear this transfer ban could leave him making up the numbers at Chelsea instead of out on loan playing.

5 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

As a Wales fan, I would like to see Ampadu get game time easy at Chelsea or elsewhere. I fear this transfer ban could leave him making up the numbers at Chelsea instead of out on loan playing.

He's been making up the numbers anyway. I've liked what I've seen when he has played. He plays without fear but the club isn't sure what position to play him though.

9 minutes ago, Lad said:

Presumably you mean large screens in a fan park type of thing and not the hundreds and hundreds of bars that were happy to show the game and count the takings?

?

I thought they banned any screenings of the champions league in Madrid but just checked and they didn't. I was the victim of a sensationalist headline, apologies. 

11 minutes ago, Lad said:

Does the club you follow have a minority of dickheads (ruling out yourself?)or are they all great chaps and gals?

Of course, that's my point. All clubs have a minority of dickheads. 

2 minutes ago, jyoung said:

He's been making up the numbers anyway. I've liked what I've seen when he has played. He plays without fear but the club isn't sure what position to play him though.

Exactly, but I would have thought the transfer ban makes it more likely he will continue making up the numbers than less.

2 hours ago, CRW5252 said:

There were no issues in Madrid. There are with the England side in Portugal. Tiny fraction of the travelling support seen the previous weekend. There is an issue within England's travelling fan base. In previous years there might have been a case to tar all English fans. This week at least there is a clear difference.

Thats my point.