Football 18/19

ThomThomDrum

22 minutes ago, thetime said:

So that comment means all the work he did in the 70s bringing through black players means nothing. 

It means it's massively tarnished. And he got something out of playing black players, wasn't  out of the goodness of his heart!

Edited by zahidf
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

It means it's massively tarnished. And he got something out of playing black players, wasn't  out of the goodness of his heart!

He got a shit load of abuse for doing so. He was one of the first managers to act like the colour of your skin mattered less than your ability. 

He grew up with being taught the n word was acceptable, then was fired at the time. I don't think that changes the legacy of actually saying and showing that black players were worthy of being footballers. 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, kaosmark2 said:

He got a shit load of abuse for doing so. He was one of the first managers to act like the colour of your skin mattered less than your ability. 

He grew up with being taught the n word was acceptable, then was fired at the time. I don't think that changes the legacy of actually saying and showing that black players were worthy of being footballers. 

I reckon that word and attitude was very much unacceptable for at least 20/25 years before he was sacked.

It's fine, I appreciate he helped a lot of black players. But at the same time, it doesn't excuse his racism 

2 hours ago, thetime said:

That’s down to poor transfer dealings since then, rather than smalling and Jones. The stick Jones, smalling and young get from there own fans is horrendous. That’s down to the managers keep picking them, 

From football 365

'

In December 2011, Manchester United lost 2-1 in Basel and were eliminated from the Champions League at the group stage for only the third time in 17 years. That night in Switzerland, Ashley Young played on the left wing, Phil Jones played in central midfield and Chris Smalling played at right-back. It was a lamentable United performance.

Seven-and-a-half years later, those same three players not only played for United as they tumbled out of the Champions League again, they all started in the same defence.

By my reckoning, United have spent £868m on new players in the interim. That they still have Jones, Young and Smalling in their starting XI in a Champions League quarter-final in the Nou Camp is a lasting monument to the miserable mismanagement at the top of this great club. '

5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

From football 365

'

In December 2011, Manchester United lost 2-1 in Basel and were eliminated from the Champions League at the group stage for only the third time in 17 years. That night in Switzerland, Ashley Young played on the left wing, Phil Jones played in central midfield and Chris Smalling played at right-back. It was a lamentable United performance.

Seven-and-a-half years later, those same three players not only played for United as they tumbled out of the Champions League again, they all started in the same defence.

By my reckoning, United have spent £868m on new players in the interim. That they still have Jones, Young and Smalling in their starting XI in a Champions League quarter-final in the Nou Camp is a lasting monument to the miserable mismanagement at the top of this great club. '

Nothing there that a sensible united wouldn’t disagree with, it won’t change until the transfer policy is changed drastically.

its also been my issue for years: 

Edited by thetime

15 minutes ago, thetime said:

Nothing there that a sensible united wouldn’t disagree with, it won’t change until the transfer policy is changed drastically.

its also been my issue for years: 

Yeah its a shambles. Too many scouts spoil the broth.

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

From football 365.

'David de Gea
Not quite sure why you want to play in Spain, Dave, given that the country has apparently put you under a weird curse.'

Considering the amount of responsibility on his shoulders, in 270 games, he been invaluable. A

43 minutes ago, The Nal said:

FYI @eastynh City were robbed by VAR. Clear handball. Wouldn't have hit his hip if it didn't hit his arm first. 

Shit happens, pointless moaning about that. Ederson should have caught the ball from the first corner, rather than flapping at it. 

If Sergio would have scored the penalty in the 1st leg and we had not make unchacteristic defensive errors, then we would have gone through. No point blaming VAR when we never got our own house in order.

Now I am pro Var, but serious questions need to be asked why the tv was showing the handball from various angles while the ref only got to see the replay from one angle. That was a bit dodgy.

37 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I reckon that word and attitude was very much unacceptable for at least 20/25 years before he was sacked.

It's fine, I appreciate he helped a lot of black players. But at the same time, it doesn't excuse his racism 

It was still frequent into the 90s. Most people knew it wasn't okay, but there's a difference between learning, unlearning, and habit. 

If his previous behaviour excused the use of racist language, then people would be saying it was wrong that he was fired. Noone disputes that ITV and the guardian were right to sack him for it. But his legacy is of defying prevalent racism to enable black players and provide them with opportunities. 

9 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Shit happens, pointless moaning about that. Ederson should have caught the ball from the first corner, rather than flapping at it. 

If Sergio would have scored the penalty in the 1st leg and we had not make unchacteristic defensive errors, then we would have gone through. No point blaming VAR when we never got our own house in order.

Now I am pro Var, but serious questions need to be asked why the tv was showing the handball from various angles while the ref only got to see the replay from one angle. That was a bit dodgy.

I thought it was a handball straight away and theres an angle the ref didn't see that shows it was defo a handball. If it doesn't hit his arm it doesn't hit his hip and doesn't go in, no goal. 

So VAR got one wrong and one right. 

13 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

but even with a view of all angles, VAR doesn't really resolve whether it should be a goal or not.

I was at the game so not really seen the replays. The consensus seems to be that it was handball and Spurs have got away with one. 

Shit happens. We played fantastic last night. Some of the football was absolutely mesmeric. DeBruyne, Bernardo and Sterling were absolutely amazing. Laporte had an off day and we paid the price. ?‍♂️

We still have 2 trophies to play for and 2 big games in the next week. A domestic treble would be an amazing achievement, considering it has never been done before.

1 minute ago, eastynh said:

The consensus seems to be that it was handball and Spurs have got away with one.

VAR says different, which is why I'm pointing out that VAR doesn't really resolve it.

As it happens there's just been a phone-in about VAR on 5live, where just about everyone said it would be great but it's "too inconsistent" and it "should be perfect, surely we can improve it?" and "referees need to be better trained"... which all sounds a bit familiar if only people would stop and actually think. ;) 

So the only benefit turns out to be the drama of the VAR decision itself, which is all very well, but it's meant to be entertainment by kicking a ball about and not the entertainment of a flawed-can-never-be-perfect review system. The benefit is at the expense of the game.