Corbyn appearing on Pyramid!

slipmatt

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just as a special guest with Clive.  I think they are going to wheel him out, Hannibal Lecter style on a sack truck, let him wave and smile at the crowd then run back off before his new suit gets dirty.

Personally I want to see him wandering aimlessly round the green fields in jesus creepers and that funny cap he likes.

4 hours ago, simian_mobile_mushrooms said:

Fuck sake. Was hoping to avoid any politics at the festival, now my favourite band of the festival is going to be opened by a long rant...

4 hours ago, simian_mobile_mushrooms said:

Wow, okay, thanks for telling me who I should and shouldn't like

Your favourite band invited Jeremy Corbyn to introduce them. So maybe give him a chance?

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

Your favourite band invited Jeremy Corbyn to introduce them. So maybe give him a chance?

That's the thing, I've already given him quite a chance leading up to and during the election campaign etc. I think he's a decent bloke, he's got some okay ideas, he's made a few mistakes - like any normal person, I just don't like celebrity endorsements as if somehow because I like that band or actor, I should agree with their politics or I should give them more of my time just because they're famous. I find it kind of preachy/patronising like I can't think for myself without their help. Just wanna listen to some choons and listen to some dick lyrics :lol: Which I can't believe some people said I should not like a certain band if I don't like their politics - which is just insane. It's music! Anyway, you'll find me at the bar at 4 o'clock sipping a nice beer and wait it out, patiently seething, hahaha

21 minutes ago, simian_mobile_mushrooms said:

That's the thing, I've already given him quite a chance leading up to and during the election campaign etc. I think he's a decent bloke, he's got some okay ideas, he's made a few mistakes - like any normal person, I just don't like celebrity endorsements as if somehow because I like that band or actor, I should agree with their politics or I should give them more of my time just because they're famous. I find it kind of preachy/patronising like I can't think for myself without their help. Just wanna listen to some choons and listen to some dick lyrics :lol:Which I can't believe some people said I should not like a certain band if I don't like their politics - which is just insane. It's music! Anyway, you'll find me at the bar at 4 o'clock sipping a nice beer and wait it out, patiently seething, hahaha

It is a little odd to my mind when said band use such politically charged lyrics.

Their invitation of Corbin suggests they really are trying to get a message across and not just make good 'choons'.

6 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

It is a little odd to my mind when said band use such politically charged lyrics.

Their invitation of Corbin suggests they really are trying to get a message across and not just make good 'choons'.

But, don't you think it's a bit odd to say that to like them, I also need to follow their politics? They can try and get a message across sure, and it's fine in the music, but does every band get the chance to invite someone to speak before them? Would a band who supported the tories or the lib dems get that chance? They also have a lot of lyrics that aren't politically charged, stuff about sucking dicks or running backwards through a field of dicks. One lyric in Count to fuck is 'when you niggas gonna unite and kill the police?' - I'm not going to agree with that or run backwards through a field of dicks, but the song is fantastic. Can't you separate liking a song and the politics behind the song? I thought that was simple to do

30 minutes ago, simian_mobile_mushrooms said:

But, don't you think it's a bit odd to say that to like them, I also need to follow their politics? They can try and get a message across sure, and it's fine in the music, but does every band get the chance to invite someone to speak before them? Would a band who supported the tories or the lib dems get that chance? They also have a lot of lyrics that aren't politically charged, stuff about sucking dicks or running backwards through a field of dicks. One lyric in Count to fuck is 'when you niggas gonna unite and kill the police?' - I'm not going to agree with that or run backwards through a field of dicks, but the song is fantastic. Can't you separate liking a song and the politics behind the song? I thought that was simple to do

I'm not saying you need to like their politics, that's up to you of course. But they are overtly political so, as I said, I find it odd that you actively ignore the political content.

As for a lib-dem or Tory showing up it won't happen because the Eavis's wouldn't allow it. ME quite openly an active Labour and CND supporter and the festival follows that ethos - it is their party after all.

Having said all that it's great that all creeds are welcome to the festival and we are all free to like what we want for whatever reason. I do however have a hope that some people become a little more politically aware though the experience.

11 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

As for a lib-dem or Tory showing up it won't happen because the Eavis's wouldn't allow it. 

Not sure about this. A quick google brings up a YouTube video of Boris Johnson exploring the site and I'm pretty sure I've read on here that all the main party leaders get invited to speak every year.

1 minute ago, Zac Quinn said:

Not sure about this. A quick google brings up a YouTube video of Boris Johnson exploring the site and I'm pretty sure I've read on here that all the main party leaders get invited to speak every year.

Nick Clegg has been there, he was talking in the Speakers Forum before Michael Eavis (who I'd gone to listen to)

10 minutes ago, verrymerry said:

Nick Clegg has been there, he was talking in the Speakers Forum before Michael Eavis (who I'd gone to listen to)

Yeah I saw Natalie Bennett speak for a good hour when she was Greens leader although obviously she's closer to the festival's ethos so that's less striking. I can understand why people from the right don't visit on security grounds but it'd be healthy for the country if they found a way to, I think.

3 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Yeah I saw Natalie Bennett speak for a good hour when she was Greens leader although obviously she's closer to the festival's ethos so that's less striking. I can understand why people from the right don't visit on security grounds but it'd be healthy for the country if they found a way to, I think.

I'd love to see May get up on the pyramid to introduce Barry Gibb or whatever and recite her slogans to a chorus of boos. 

5 minutes ago, Zac Quinn said:

Disagree completely. Right wingers infest every facet of real life, it is incomprehensible that they should be given a platform to spout their bile at Glastonbury too.

They can walk around and have a lovely time - thanks to the left leaning ethos of the festival - then they can fuck right off on Monday back to their miserable selfish existence.

Loved seeing people getting really upset over this on Twitter, how Glastonbury is 'forcing' politics down their throat. Yet there's a Left Field stage with political debates on every year, even Corbyn himself scheduled to be appear last year.

Like it or not there's always been political talks and I've always felt Glastonbury to be one of those festivals that has a lot of discussion around this given its roots and the festival's ethos.

4 minutes ago, D-Low said:

Loved seeing people getting really upset over this on Twitter, how Glastonbury is 'forcing' politics down their throat.

Bet you most of them don't even go to Glastonbury, just losers looking for something to kick off about. 

7 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Disagree completely. Right wingers infest every facet of real life, it is incomprehensible that they should be given a platform to spout their bile at Glastonbury too.

They can walk around and have a lovely time - thanks to the left leaning ethos of the festival - then they can fuck right off on Monday back to their miserable selfish existence.

They'd certainly get booed off, but that'd be good for democracy, I think. As we've seen this week, the likes of May are so weak they're just kept hidden away from real people and it's a disgrace.