Football 17/18

TheGayTent

7 hours ago, thetime said:

The United guys will tell you it’s not simple. 

Will be a massive change for Arsenal when Wenger does go, in a similar way when fergie went (longevity, leave arsenal rudderless). United still rudderless with no vision, big questions for Arsenal as it could take 5 years to even think about challenging.

I completely understand what you are saying, and don't get me wrong - I love Wenger and will always remember him as a great no matter what. But the issue surrounds your last statement there "it could take 5 years" - the point is that nowadays most arsenal fans would take 5 years if you offered them that.

The confidence in Arsene to fix the errors the club has had for 6-7 years is at an all time low. You dont mind not winning things for a while if you see progression - such as what i imagine liverpool fans are feeling currently - but when was the last time you can honestly say that Wenger has done something that has had a lasting improvement on the team?

He has still only ever created one good defence in his 20 years here, and now it seems his ability to create free flowing, attractive, attacking football has deserted him as well. 

And the only similarities to the end of Ferguson is the length of time they have been at their clubs. Ferguson was still very much winning things and getting the best from his players

Edited by mjsell

36 minutes ago, mjsell said:

Ferguson was still very much winning things and getting the best from his players

While spending more on transfers and wages. If you have the 4th highest wage bill in the league you probably won’t win league titles and the odd cup is probably all you can hope for. To be fair to Fergie he was clever knowing the right time to leave.

48 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

While spending more on transfers and wages. 

Not entirely accurate, if you look at transfers in the last 5-10 years of fergies reign City and Chelsea were exceeding Utd on transfers. Which they needed to to get there place at the head table. 

4 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Conte wanted to avoid an embarrassing score line. That performance was more embarrassing than losing 3-0 and having a go.

I found that strange, especially since out of the following pack for top 4, they are on catch up.

Edited by thetime

2 minutes ago, thetime said:

I found that strange, especially since out of the following pack for top 4, they are on catch up.

Yeah mate. Pissed me off a bit. He tries to be pragmatic about it but who cares, its not good enough. Talks about how we overachieved last year, haven't had the depth blah blah blah. Its just excuses. There's no positive action in his approach. We're falling further and further behind in the race for Champions League. I like the boss and I love his passion and work ethic but he's been a shadow of himself this year with some of his tactics.

1 minute ago, pink_triangle said:

Man Utd we’re still able to buy Arsenal’s top player. The reverse isn’t true now.

Arsenal were selling there players at will like adebayor, clichy and Sagna to City. Arsenal have under invested, very much like United before fergies departure. 

Its only now it’s biting Arsenal in the album, just like it unravelled at Utd when fergie left. 

3 minutes ago, thetime said:

Its only now it’s biting Arsenal in the album, just like it unravelled at Utd when fergie left. 

I think things would have unravelled if he had stayed. He saw the way things were going and jumped ship. Maybe that’s good perception, maybe it’s taking the easy way out. I could make arguments for both.

10 hours ago, pink_triangle said:

I think things would have unravelled if he had stayed. He saw the way things were going and jumped ship. Maybe that’s good perception, maybe it’s taking the easy way out. I could make arguments for both.

Fergie’s last act was to lift the PL trophy though. He left a team of champions behind.

19 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Fergie’s last act was to lift the PL trophy though. He left a team of champions behind.

As I said you could say it's getting out at the right time, or taking the easy way out. That team was ready for a down period whether he stayed or left. Also picking Moyes as a successor was a genius move. Maybe Wenger should pick Adams!

46 minutes ago, pink_triangle said:

As I said you could say it's getting out at the right time, or taking the easy way out. That team was ready for a down period whether he stayed or left. Also picking Moyes as a successor was a genius move. Maybe Wenger should pick Adams!

The only thing Wenger and Fergie have in common is the time they spent at their clubs. 3 leagues in 22 years is a shite return from Wenger.