New security measures in place

brettredmayne

1 minute ago, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

Wow. A simple statement from the festival stating there will be slightly more strenuous searches and this place has mass hysteria.

This is efestivals.  They could announce a shoddy viewing platform in a spot that doesn't really seem suitable for one and it'll get 23 pages of wild speculation.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

But being a fan of the festival surely you will be following their rules and remaining in your car until the gates open no ?

Also try telling that to the 50 odd people we have turning up Tuesday night who want to all camp together on big ground haha

8 minutes ago, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

Wow. A simple statement from the festival stating there will be slightly more strenuous searches and this place has mass hysteria.

They haven't at any point said everyone will be searched, they won't. 

They have simply said there will be additional searches. If they usually search 5000 total perhaps then it will be 7,500 this year.

Mountains out of molehills or what.

Plus, without trying to offend anyone, we all know that they will be targeting a certain type (demograhic)  of person, they will generally have no interest in the vast majority of attendees.

So what's the general consensus then? (HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!: 'consensus'!!! On here?!!!! HAHAHA!!! Ahem...):

- Car searches: will happen, but negligible effect on traffic, driving in, parking up. 

- Bag searches: restrictive, general slowing up of queues, takes fucking ages to get in.

This?

Edited by Woffy

2 minutes ago, Woffy said:

So what's the general consensus then? (HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!: 'consensus'!!! On here?!!!! HAHAHA!!! Ahem...):

- Car searches: will happen, but negligible effect on traffic, driving in, parking up. 

- Bag searches: restrictive, general slowing up of queues, takes fucking ages to get in.

This?

It'll be the same as they have done in the past, but at a greater volume. Expect more of a police presence too.

Watching the news last night the video shown on Midlands TV clearly showed the sniffer dog working the queue had a harness on clearly labelled "Explosive dog". 

As for lessening the impact - anyone coming by coach could have their luggage checked when they boarded so potentially be fast-tracked into the festival.

Knowing someone who works with Police dogs, they are different dogs, they train it to detect drugs or explosives or bodies. And they've only got a short operating time before they need a rest. 

Also make sure you read the notes on release's website on stop-n-search and sniffer dog use - if you are planning on taking something into any venue.

It would make sense if they searched cars of people who turn up before the gates open as that is people crowded around the car area's, but as more people arrive they park further away and a car weapon would almost be pointless. So this wouldn't affect queueing at all, it might even be why you stay in your car until it is searched then crack on to queue as normal

#logic

5 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

As for lessening the impact - anyone coming by coach could have their luggage checked when they boarded so potentially be fast-tracked into the festival.

I like the idea of this. Not only does it make it better to travel via coach but keeps the trained dogs in their operating areas.

49 minutes ago, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

That's the life blood of this place! It/we would be nothing without mass hysteria of things!

Just had a 2 hr delay getting into the campervan fields at Isle of Wight festival, blaming security issue which, despite a very brief appearance from a sniffer dog, I think is just just an excuse for not being ready when they were supposed to be.

no searches of any kind of campervans but there is obviously a much larger police presence at the festival

17 minutes ago, Smeble said:

Just had a 2 hr delay getting into the campervan fields at Isle of Wight festival, blaming security issue which, despite a very brief appearance from a sniffer dog, I think is just just an excuse for not being ready when they were supposed to be.

no searches of any kind of campervans but there is obviously a much larger police presence at the festival

isle of wight as a whole always go mad on police numbers!

1 hour ago, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

They haven't at any point said everyone will be searched, they won't. 

They have simply said there will be additional searches. If they usually search 5000 total perhaps then it will be 7,500 this year.

To be fair, they did say this:

"First up, we encourage you to pack as light as you can. For security reasons, all ticket holders will be subject to extra searches of their vehicles, their bags and their person at this year's Festival."

It's worded ambiguously, sure, but it does say all ticket holders will be subject to extra searches. I think they've left it ambiguous on purpose.

The problem with checking people as they board the coaches, as opposed to when the coaches arrive, is that it would massively delay boarding times. You'd also need loads of police/security at all of the various car parks, which will all come from different forces/companies, so who would pay for that? The festival? See?

Also, not that I think this is a remote possbility, but anyone could be given something at a service station on the way up, thus negating the earlier search.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned, but to me the most dangerous place for the festival goers will be in the queue, as this will be the place to cause the most damage. Unless a loon actually managed to get through security; in which case a suicide bomber going off during a headline act on the pyramid stage will result in major carnage and a huge amount of publicity. 

With regards to queues, and this is something I have often pondered while waiting at the gates, why isn't there a separate entry system for campervan ticket holders? Surely they could obtain wristbands on the Tuesday should they wish to, obviously barring entry until official opening, and then they would be able to head through showing their wristband and just having their day stuff checked?

im hoping that security forces will have shared intelligence with Glastonbury security and will have profiles of who to look for / behaviours that are suspicious or different to your average festival goer etc?

10 minutes ago, Deadendfriends8 said:

Right so I've got some info from a mate who is at Isle of Wight this weekend. They're searching everyones bag and he hasn't moved in the queue for about 2 hours.

Apparently a massive bottleneck has been caused due to ill informed punters getting to the gate only to find out Rod Stewart is playing, then trying to turn around to get out and go home again. 

Just now, Woffy said:

Apparently a massive bottleneck has been caused due to ill informed punters getting to the gate only to find out Rod Stewart is playing, then trying to turn around to get out and go home again. 

The line up is absolute dog shite this year isn't it. (Apart from Arcade Fire ofc)

We are just going to rock up as normal around 11am Wednesday (we did not wait at all last time, walked straight in), and avoid bringing trolleys in our group. If we queue, we queue! Thats what cider and camping chairs are for. 

1 hour ago, Deadendfriends8 said:

Right so I've got some info from a mate who is at Isle of Wight this weekend. They're searching everyones bag and he hasn't moved in the queue for about 2 hours.

If its like this at Glasto I'd estimate you all getting in just before Ed starts

I'm sat in the campervan field and can see the queue, it is very slow, I'm guessing the searches are very very in depth, guess they have to be in the current climate

1 hour ago, stopwn1981 said:

If download or isle of wight had been that bad compared to usual getting in, then surely in this day and age twitter would be awash with misery? No evidence that I can see.

Just spoke to my friend at download - she said it wasn't a problem getting in.