2019 festival

8 hours ago, VCK said:

Also, if Drake is actually playing, there's absolutely no way he's not headlining outright. He's one of the biggest names in the world.

100%. Drake and Foos both together and The 1975 as headliners would be very big. It doesn't do much for me with a goos undercard mind and I reckon if this year is anything to go by they will book the Drake day to cater for a lot of Foos crossover making you feel the need to buy more than a say ticket.

8 hours ago, charlierc said:

I mean... if Foos don't play at this point, I'll be surprised. Presuming Friday in Leeds and Sunday Reading?

Yeah it's basically guaranteed now.

• Upvote 1

I said 2 years ago, Giggs bringing Drake out got the biggest crowd reaction i've ever seen at R&L. 

Kanye is obviously higher pedigree to the rock fans but hip hop appreciators. But the R&L crowd just aren't that anymore. The Reading and Leeds crowd love Drake, Drake can release a track of pure farting and he will go to number 1. His album Scorpion went straight to no1 and had 5 no1 and 2 singles off it.

Kanyes latest album flopped, his album before that flopped. The album before that one flopped.

Kids hate Kanye now, because he supports Trump and that isn't the look that FR crowds go for.

Panic co-headlined last year, it thought it was common knowledge, because they had originally chased Foo's to HL but gave up on them to try and get Arctic Monkeys when they released new stuff. But their album wasn't well recieved or targetted to R&L crowds and they ended up with neither. So they panicked and got Foo Fighters and Panic at the Disco for the same cost.

They had 3 American pop rock American emo bands which would have been poor form to have 2 of those with the same style co together so they put the least popular as a co-headline with Kendrick while the other 2 HL outright

• Downvote 3

1975 are alright, listenable, easy to follow, catchy. They sound the same on every single song though. You could not tell which album, or era the song came from.

The radio announced they had just played the latest single from A brief online relationship album and I had no idea. I thought it was too times i was listening to. They will get the teenage girls out in droves though when booked.

They have also played the festival 3 times in the last 5 years (2013, 2014 and 2016)

Edited by Chad888
  • Downvote 3

Drake could easily bring out Rihanna or Nicki Minaj or someone as a special guest during a performance as a headliner and the crowds heads will explode. 

His set list will be around 20 so there is no chance he would co-headline. I'd assume it would have:

In my feelings; Nonstop; Don't matter to me; Nice for what; God's plan; Passionfruit; Pop style; One dance; Jumpman; Hotline bling; Hold on, were going home; Crew love; Started from the bottom; Take care; Headlines; Best i ever had; Forever; Walk it talk it; Look alive; Work; For free; Whats my name.

Thats 21 songs there, and they are all absolute hits in terms of successful singles. That most of the R&L crowd will know every single word to.

I don’t think you can rule out drake being a co-head, ffs kendrick lamar the biggest rapper in the world at the moment co-headlined with panic (not that i dislike panic), never thought kendrick would ever be a co-headline. I think anything is possible nowawdays at r&l.

im not saying its gonna happen but you could easily have twenty one pilots billed as a headliner but in a “glorified” sub spot doing like an hour set and giving drake like an hour and a half or something. Maybe its just my wishful thinking sticking the 2 possible hearliners I dislike the most together lol 

Edit: and looking at the average drake gig on youtube it seems to last around 1 hour and 20 minutes 

Edited by dum surfer

28 minutes ago, dum surfer said:

I don’t think you can rule out drake being a co-head, ffs kendrick lamar the biggest rapper in the world at the moment co-headlined with panic (not that i dislike panic), never thought kendrick would ever be a co-headline. I think anything is possible nowawdays at r&l.

im not saying its gonna happen but you could easily have twenty one pilots billed as a headliner but in a “glorified” sub spot doing like an hour set and giving drake like an hour and a half or something. Maybe its just my wishful thinking sticking the 2 possible hearliners I dislike the most together lol 

Edit: and looking at the average drake gig on youtube it seems to last around 1 hour and 20 minutes 

I'd say Kendrick is below Kanye, Eminem (legacy eminem still carries weight despite absolute trash lately), Jay-Z (see before), Post Malone (connects more to the r&l demographic). Drake blows them all away. Drake is the most succesful hip hop star of the last 5 years at least. 

In terms of spotify streams, Drake is on 14.7 billion. 3x higher than Kendrick at 4.8 billion. Post Malone is 2 billion higher than Kendrick even.

Hilariously though, Imagine Dragons is the 11th most listened to artist in the world and Kendrick Lamar is closer to total streams to Imagine Dragons, than he is to Post Malone!

Drakes chart success is unreal tbh.

2nd most monthly listens this month, top of the most streamed of all time by 6 billion more listens than second place. 2nd most followers on streaming platforms after Ed Sheeran. 2017 2nd most streams for the year after Ed Sheeran, 2014, 2015 and 2016s 1st most streamed artist of the year. 6 of the top 100 most streamed songs are Drakes (including 2 in the top 10). 2 of his songs are in the top 5 record holders for most weeks at number 1. 4 songs feature on the top 10 most streams in a single day chart. 2nd place for longest day at number 1 with 4 months. 1st in most streamed album in first release day with literally double that of 2nd place. He is also 3rd place on that list to.

Kendrick Lamar does not feature on any of those lists. Spotify users are r&L demographics.

Edited by Chad888

5 minutes ago, 19liam75 said:

Apparently Greg James just announced on Radio 1 that all the Reading headliners are being announced tomorrow, wasnt listening but is this true?

I mean that's what happened last time around. Hopefully, it does happen. Waking up to "all my life" "learn to fly" and "best of you" song snippets to Foos being announced. Decent morning start for me :) 

5 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

I'd say Kendrick is below Kanye, Eminem (legacy eminem still carries weight despite absolute trash lately), Jay-Z (see before), Post Malone (connects more to the r&l demographic). Drake blows them all away. Drake is the most succesful hip hop star of the last 5 years at least. 

In terms of spotify streams, Drake is on 14.7 billion. 3x higher than Kendrick at 4.8 billion. Post Malone is 2 billion higher than Kendrick even.

Hilariously though, Imagine Dragons is the 11th most listened to artist in the world and Kendrick Lamar is closer to total streams to Imagine Dragons, than he is to Post Malone!

Drakes chart success is unreal tbh.

2nd most monthly listens this month, top of the most streamed of all time by 6 billion more listens than second place. 2nd most followers on streaming platforms after Ed Sheeran. 2017 2nd most streams for the year after Ed Sheeran, 2014, 2015 and 2016s 1st most streamed artist of the year. 6 of the top 100 most streamed songs are Drakes (including 2 in the top 10). 2 of his songs are in the top 5 record holders for most weeks at number 1. 4 songs feature on the top 10 most streams in a single day chart. 2nd place for longest day at number 1 with 4 months. 1st in most streamed album in first release day with literally double that of 2nd place. He is also 3rd place on that list to.

Kendrick Lamar does not feature on any of those lists. Spotify users are r&L demographics.

You think Kanye, Post Malone and Drake are all better rappers than Kendrick?

It's generally understood in the hip hop community that Kendrick is a far better rapper, I wouldn't even consider Drake to be hip hop anymore, falls under pop for me.

There's a lot of really good hip hop being released at the moment, would be good to see festivals backing that rather than going after trends like Lil Pump.

I'm not sure he was comparing just their streams, think it was more a comparison of skill/ talent.

Imagine Dragons? If we're going down this route, we would have Ariana Grande headlining RnL...

Populairty doesn't always mean it's actually any good or would suit the festival. Although, I do think Drake would be a good fit, especially alongside Foos for diverse headliners and ticket sales.

I would argue the demographic is based on who is booked and not the other way around; if big rock bands are booked you will get rock fans.

2 hours ago, Chad888 said:

Drake could easily bring out Rihanna or Nicki Minaj or someone as a special guest during a performance as a headliner and the crowds heads will explode. 

The clean up sounds horrendous but if it cuts down on the non-rockers being there I'm all for it. The Friday would be good so we're clear for the rest of the weekend.

4 minutes ago, jamieaslee said:

You think Kanye, Post Malone and Drake are all better rappers than Kendrick?

It's generally understood in the hip hop community that Kendrick is a far better rapper, I wouldn't even consider Drake to be hip hop anymore, falls under pop for me.

There's a lot of really good hip hop being released at the moment, would be good to see festivals backing that rather than going after trends like Lil Pump.

I'm not sure he was comparing just their streams, think it was more a comparison of skill/ talent.

Imagine Dragons? If we're going down this route, we would have Ariana Grande headlining RnL...

Populairty doesn't always mean it's actually any good or would suit the festival. Although, I do think Drake would be a good fit, especially alongside Foos for diverse headliners and ticket sales.

I would argue the demographic is based on who is booked and not the other way around; if big rock bands are booked you will get rock fans.

I don't think Kanye, PM, Drake et al are better than Kendrick. Kendrick and Lil Wayne are probably the best rappers out there right now. Heck i'd say people like Earl Sweatshirt and Joyner Lucas are better rappers than they are.

But ability doesn't equal success and saleability. Otherwise you wouldn't have white bread with water for dipping Biffy Clyro and Fall Out Boy style bands headlining with tonnes of successful tunes.

Drake was the standout at Wireless when he showed up and R&L absolutly went mad when he guested Giggs. I barely heard him sing there was that many people screaming. 

And re Arianne Grande, I actually thought the other day 'what with all the diversity and pushing women to the top of bills and BAME - We will more than likely see Ariana Grande, Wolf Alice, Stormzy, Little Mix, Cardi B, Nicki Minaj, Florence, Paramore etc being potential headliners soon enough'

20 minutes ago, Chad888 said:

Going by that logic why did they book kendrick this year then if his not in the “spotify user R&L demographic” 

drake or even kanye and eminem now doesn’t have the universal respect and praise that kendrick does

Just now, Chad888 said:

I don't think Kanye, PM, Drake et al are better than Kendrick. Kendrick and Lil Wayne are probably the best rappers out there right now. Heck i'd say people like Earl Sweatshirt and Joyner Lucas are better rappers than they are.

But ability doesn't equal success and saleability. Otherwise you wouldn't have white bread with water for dipping Biffy Clyro and Fall Out Boy style bands headlining with tonnes of successful tunes.

Drake was the standout at Wireless when he showed up and R&L absolutly went mad when he guested Giggs. I barely heard him sing there was that many people screaming. 

And re Arianne Grande, I actually thought the other day 'what with all the diversity and pushing women to the top of bills and BAME - We will more than likely see Ariana Grande, Wolf Alice, Stormzy, Little Mix, Cardi B, Nicki Minaj, Florence, Paramore etc being potential headliners soon enough'

I like Lil Wayne, Carter V is very good, but cmon give Denzel Curry, Joey Bada$$, JID, JPEGMAFIA, Bishop Nehru a listen; I think you're missing out tbh. - You've not even mentioned J. Cole either who I think is overhyped, but still very good.

Joyner is aight, his new single is boring af though, hopefully just a radio song. Earl Sweatshirt is dope.

Suppose a balance between ability/ sales/ streams is needed.

I saw Drake at Wireless in 2015 and Travis Scott was much better earlier in the day. I do think Drake's a good fit though.

Wouldn't surprise me if Wolf Alice headline if their next albums as successful, very good headlining NME last year.

You know Stormzy's a man right?

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, dum surfer said:

Going by that logic why did they book kendrick this year then if his not in the “spotify user R&L demographic” 

drake or even kanye and eminem now doesn’t have the universal respect and praise that kendrick does

When you think about relevant rapper that brings back old school Compton N.W.A. style vibes that music appreciators like (and lets face it, that is what rock music fans are, they like the product over the brand which is what Post, Pump, Drake etc are), Kendrick Lamar is the first name that comes to mind. He is like the classic mould of a across genres rapper. I remember 5 years ago you would walk past groups of kids  smoking a J on park benches that would be playing indie tunes on their phones intermixed with Kendrick.