Weird Placings 2017

Matt42

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, RyanS said:

Well we could have a whole different thread on whether or not acts are good enough for their spots, I suppose.

Aye, and it would run & run & run! 

I just think she's plastic pop / soul shite, which the bigger stages seem to be chock full of this year, so much so that some of the days look like they could be at bloody V fest, especially when you factor in all the grime.  If the only way of getting female acts on the line up is to bring in pop acts from the charts then no thanks. 

2 minutes ago, Bonaneas said:

Aye, and it would run & run & run! 

I just think she's plastic pop / soul shite, which the bigger stages seem to be chock full of this year, so much so that some of the days look like they could be at bloody V fest, especially when you factor in all the grime.  If the only way of getting female acts on the line up is to bring in pop acts from the charts then no thanks. 

Glastonbury's always had pop acts.  Shes not necessarily just there due to affirmative action.

1 hour ago, funkyuk said:

Annie Mac Is pure pandering to the BBC. it will be a live broadcast, I expect.  what a waste of a headline slot on JP.  Cant she broadcast from their onsite studio?

I have a sneaking suspicion this may also be related to the lack of female representation on the top of all the other stages...

18 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Glastonbury's always had pop acts.  Shes not necessarily just there due to affirmative action.

The odd couple each year for novelty and the kids down the front at the Pyramid on a Saturday afternoon, but nowhere near to the extent it is this year. Even the headliner is a pop act (Sheeran.)

Is it a sign of the decline & death of guitar / alternative / indie / rock music or just the way the festival is going, less alt and more & more mainstream? 

If they're going to shoe horn female acts in at least make sure it's female acts with credibility in line with the festivals 'alternative' history & ethos. Plenty of 'girls who play guitars' out there. Daughter & Savages were real highlights last year. Still to see honeyblood at the festival. Nadia Shah deserves a better billing than leftfield too. 

Edited by Bonaneas

2 minutes ago, RyanS said:

In Emeli Sande's defence, she's got an undeniably incredible voice.  If writing your own songs/playing an instrument = credibility then she ticks those boxes also.

I watched her Big Weekend set on TV and thought it was quite impressive actually.

Well, she was once seriously regarded as a possible headliner..........(!)

Seems like they've been busy ramming a whole heap of square pegs in round holes. Some really odd placements def, but none that doesn't affect me so much. RTJ would have been cooler in the dark/in a tent, but we can't have it all, just glad they're not clashing with anyone else for me and I can enjoy them in all their glory.

2 hours ago, Bonaneas said:

Is it a sign of the decline & death of guitar / alternative / indie / rock music or just the way the festival is going, less alt and more & more mainstream?

There's only a finite pool of people they can book, plenty are inactive / booked elsewhere / have played recently / have died or whatever. Especially when you narrow it down to "guitar bands".

I'm liking the variety of this year's line-up, I think it's really strong.

EDIT: Wild Beasts on Other seems strange, guessing it's mostly because of the change of direction with the last album?

Edited by Room to sway

5 hours ago, Rubber Soldier said:

Correct. It'll be absolutely rammed with wee dafties as well. Looks like it might be regular thing too, giving a DJ a headline slot in there, after Fatboy Slim doing the Saturday last year. 

I'm afraid my first thought when I saw Annie Mac was headlining John Peel was how much crap the crowd will leave behind for us to pick up the next morning. Stereotypes, I know, but some bands attract a crowd that leaves much less litter than others. Annie Mac won't be one of them :(

Edited by pie_and_a_pint

9 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Yeah I'm intrigued by that. Especially the friends he's bringing with him are pretty big deals. I imagine they are banking on ed Sheerhan getting an absolutely massive crowd

if anything his set is at 23:30, right after Ed's set is finish.

8 hours ago, Bonaneas said:

The odd couple each year for novelty and the kids down the front at the Pyramid on a Saturday afternoon, but nowhere near to the extent it is this year. Even the headliner is a pop act (Sheeran.)

If they're going to shoe horn female acts in at least make sure it's female acts with credibility in line with the festivals 'alternative' history & ethos. Plenty of 'girls who play guitars' out there. Daughter & Savages were real highlights last year. Still to see honeyblood at the festival. Nadia Shah deserves a better billing than leftfield too. 

Exactly. There are pop acts all over the line-up, of both sexes, so why is Emeli Sandé only there due to being female? They've always had acts like that. Ellie Goulding played the same slot 3 years ago. The fact she's female doesn't come into it at all, anyway. George Ezra is playing a similar slot two days before, although I guess he plays a guitar and is male so he isn't there as a novelty.

Pop music has just as much of a right to be there as alternative music.

And yeah, Savages and Daughter are better than Emeli Sandé. But at the same time, Ezra Furman and Mark Lanegan are better than George Ezra and Ed Sheeran. Why aren't you asking them to stop booking all the shit male acts they book?

4 hours ago, addicted2noise said:

It sounds daft but could the RTJ slot be somehow related to Bon Iver cancelling most of his tour? It looked like he was due to headline field day this year before cancelling his tour and RTJ were announced, maybe Glasto just did the same.

Bon Iver playing 4th down the Pyramid would have been much weirder than RTJ doing so. He'd sub Pyramid or headline Other.