So where do people think is best for camping...

O'Doyle Rules

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, mjsell said:

there are 8 of us coming by coach early hours of Wednesday morning and will be joining the queue at Gate A, we are on tent duty for the other 20 or so people that will be joining later. By the time we get in when gates open and walk to a location we will need space for three fair sized 8 man tents and a few smaller 2/3 mans. Realistically what are our options?

What do you mean by 'tent duty'? If you mean you're intending to reserve empty space for that number of tents, and they're not arriving until, let's say, the afternoon, you'll soon be on the receiving end of a spectrum that ranges from disapproving looks, folded arms and tutting, to people stepping over your dividing line, plonking their tent in your space and letting you know what they think of your attempt to reserve grass for people who aren't there ahead of people who are.

I'd take as many tents as you can and erect them. Nobody knows whether the occupants are there or not. People go by whether a tent is in place.

1 minute ago, kalifire said:

I'd take as many tents as you can and erect them. Nobody knows whether the occupants are there or not. People go by whether a tent is in place.

This is what I mean by tent duty. the 8 of us will have all of the tents with us.

17 minutes ago, mjsell said:

I really want to try and convince my group to camp the other side in Kidney Mead or around, mainly as the lineup for me is so heavily dominated by West Holts, John Peel and Pyramid (I don't even think there is 1 act I want to see on Other), plus with the late night djs being spread out around the site there isnt that dependence on being near SE.

The problem I have is that there are 8 of us coming by coach early hours of Wednesday morning and will be joining the queue at Gate A, we are on tent duty for the other 20 or so people that will be joining later. By the time we get in when gates open and walk to a location we will need space for three fair sized 8 man tents and a few smaller 2/3 mans. Realistically what are our options? 

We have only camped in Paines before and I definitely want to be more in the thick of things than there, even if thats just shuffling up a bit to Park Home.

This is very similar to us, but we only have 1x4 and 1x3 man tent. Leaving London at 5am, so hoping to get to site at 10/11, over to Hawkwell / Big Ground / Kidney Mead for 12, and hoping there's room.

It was an absolute cl*sterfuck on the coaches though last year, and didn't arrive until 1/2pm, so will have to play it by ear...!

Was gonna camp in Darble again but would be nice to be a bit closer to it all. 

I should be at gate A by 6am is it worth the walk to Big Ground to fit three 3/2 man tents there? Not sure how long the walk would take carrying stuff either I imagine I'll give up anyway if it's muddy!

Gotten to the site early the last few years and camped in Oxylers which always worked out well. Enjoyed waking up and having breakfast to the sound of whatever was on the other, fairly short walk everywhere, easy to nip back to the tent etc.  Getting a later coach this year so might have to rethink as probably won't arrive until late afternoon Wednesday. Will only have one 4 man tent but still not sure whether to risk the walk to try and squeeze in Oxylers again or just set up in Pylon/Rivermead coming through gate A hmm... 

2 minutes ago, kaytee... said:

I should be at gate A by 6am is it worth the walk to Big Ground to fit three 3/2 man tents there? Not sure how long the walk would take carrying stuff either I imagine I'll give up anyway if it's muddy!

if it's dry, then around 20-30 minutes depending on how many breaks / pace.  There should be some space there depending on how quickly the other gates are getting through everyone, though you may not get space for the 3 tents next to each other

15 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

First timer here, what are the thoughts on Spring Ground / Michael's Head / Hawkwell? I know I'll be spending time at Pyramid / John Peel. 

Spring Ground was the camping field for disabled festival goers last year. We camped in Hitchen Hill above which was great for JP tent and quick to pyramid, if a little far out otherwise.

This year we could only get a Thursday coach! Arrived on Thursday in 2015 and went into Back House which was great, but a fair trek from Gate A.

Does anyone know if there are other reserved fields closer to Gate A? I'm guessing not much chance of Hitchin Hill Thurs afternoon and to be honest it was a bit far from the Park, Avalon and the other areas on the south of the site I spend most time at. 

Thinking maybe Bushy Ground....

1 hour ago, sheffieldlady said:

Bushy Ground gets my vote, ideal for coach and by Gate A and Gate D. Quiet, not far from Silver Hayes and the walk isn't that bad. I always have a decent gap or take items that I need for the whole day / night!

I haven't driven for a while - how do I get to Gate D / make sure I'm parked at the right side of the festival? So I'm aiming for Orange / Pink car parks right? Spent to long getting the coach!

I'll be travelling from Wales. Seems like the best thread for the question.

I camped at Bushy last year. If you do not like Silver Hayes (like me) it's one of the worst places to stay. You have to go through Silver Hayes almost every time and if it's muddy like last year you will hate it. 
It is quiet though, so that's good. But I will not be coming back there.

Obviously if you do spend quite some time at SH, it must be great.

51 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

First timer here, what are the thoughts on Spring Ground / Michael's Head / Hawkwell? I know I'll be spending time at Pyramid / John Peel. 

I would suggest Hitchin Hill. It's pretty quiet compared to other sites and you have great access to both Pyramid and JP. You will have to climb your way up there when getting back to your tent though. But I didn't mind it that much.

Edited by Calvin Klein

1 hour ago, pennylane07 said:

Spring Ground was the camping field for disabled festival goers last year. We camped in Hitchen Hill above which was great for JP tent and quick to pyramid, if a little far out otherwise.

This year we could only get a Thursday coach! Arrived on Thursday in 2015 and went into Back House which was great, but a fair trek from Gate A.

Does anyone know if there are other reserved fields closer to Gate A? I'm guessing not much chance of Hitchin Hill Thurs afternoon and to be honest it was a bit far from the Park, Avalon and the other areas on the south of the site I spend most time at. 

Thinking maybe Bushy Ground....

Where you can pitch up will depend on the size of your tent/how many you've got. If you've got a single tent with a small footprint you can find space in some of the more popular fields on a Thursday afternoon. Back House is a bit of a weird one as it's either used as overflow or it's so tucked away that people don't find it, but there aren't any other fields like that. Having said that there will be space in any of the fields running from Gate A round to South Park.

Edited by musky
I hate typing their instead of there!

12 minutes ago, musky said:

Where you can pitch up will depend on the size of your tent/how many you've got. If you've got a single tent with a small footprint you can find space in some of the more popular fields on a Thursday afternoon. Back House is a bit of a weird one as it's either used as overflow or it's so tucked away that people don't find it, but there aren't any other fields like that. Having said that their will be space in any of the fields running from Gate A round to South Park.

Yes, you're right. I think we will just head south from Gate A and park up fairly quickly so we can get out and about! Two tents and one is a fairly big 4-man so we'll just take space where we can get it.

Any recommendations for where to camp? 

First timers. Me and the dad, he's over 50 so no party areas, he wants some sleep. 

Will most likely be entering from gate A I'm sure, coming from the north west (Glasgow). 

Was looking at michaels mead or hawkwell, but again. No idea! 

Help appreciated 

15 hours ago, kaytee... said:

Big Ground is (IMO) the best place to camp on site.

1 minute ago, Wooderson said:

Big Ground is (IMO) the best place to camp on site.

Depends on if you like whose on the Pyramid or not.

Now the set times are up I can see where I'll be spending most of my time and choose the site to camp accordingly, I've always camped the other side of the site, usually come by car so have been early but arriving by coach this time. 

Does anyone know how busy Park Home is wednesday afternoon? Can a group of 4/5 tents find room together?

14 hours ago, guitarbhoy1888 said:

Any recommendations for where to camp? 

First timers. Me and the dad, he's over 50 so no party areas, he wants some sleep. 

Will most likely be entering from gate A I'm sure, coming from the north west (Glasgow). 

Was looking at michaels mead or hawkwell, but again. No idea! 

Help appreciated 

It's a good trek form PG A to Big Ground!

What day/time are you arriving?

I'd take the time to get east of the site to get through Gate B if I were you.

Edited by MattR88

5 minutes ago, MattR88 said:

It's a good trek form PG A to Big Ground!

What day/time are you arriving?

I'd take the time to get east of the site to get through Gate B if I were you.

We'll be leaving Glasgow about 4 or 5pm Tuesday so should get near the site by 1 or 2am we think. 

Im assuming it's fate a we'll be entering through. Vg1 etc aren't accessible to the public huh? 

My dad mentioned big ground but also said he'd read it as being one of the busiest so didn't fancy it. 

So strange going into something with so little knowledge like this! 

1 minute ago, guitarbhoy1888 said:

We'll be leaving Glasgow about 4 or 5pm Tuesday so should get near the site by 1 or 2am we think. 

Im assuming it's fate a we'll be entering through. Vg1 etc aren't accessible to the public huh? 

My dad mentioned big ground but also said he'd read it as being one of the busiest so didn't fancy it. 

So strange going into something with so little knowledge like this! 

You can make it easier for yourself by going east then you'll come in that side either parking in blue or purple colour.

Last year we got to big ground from PG A at about 10/11am and were able to put three 4-man tents and a 2-man pop up pretty easily. But it was ridiculously far to walk - took about 30 mins with no bags on the way back to get more stuff (I'm mid 20s and pretty fit).

IMO its best to get out of the car park with your tent, change of clothes and cans for that day and make another trip later on in the day if its dry, or the next day if its raining. Definitely don't over burden yourself for the first go - it's really far to walk with shit loads of stuff!

Nah not sure what those VG things are but not open to the public I don't think.