REM Secret Set or Sub?

Gooner4900

Yeah, the REM idea was mine.  Based on nothing other than getting bored of everyone banging on about bands I didn't want to see, and the fact that they did one impromptu song earlier this year (without Michael).

Sorry 'bout that

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

Yeah, the REM idea was mine.  Based on nothing other than getting bored of everyone banging on about bands I didn't want to see, and the fact that they did one impromptu song earlier this year (without Michael).

Sorry 'bout that

Yeh, how dare you suggest that a superb band might play a Glastonbury ;)

3 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

even if REM were reforming, which is incredibly unlikely, there's next to no hope that they're going to do is subbing anyone, or as a secret set at Glastonbury.

Oh absolutely.  I did it as a throwaway and the bloody thing's gained traction!

9 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

even if REM were reforming, which is incredibly unlikely, there's next to no hope that they're going to do is subbing anyone, or as a secret set at Glastonbury.

I dunno. They don't seem to be your normal ego-driven rock stars, so i reckon that if they were going to do a one-off show they wouldn't demand top billing.

(just to be clear, that's not me suggesting they're doing it, that's me talking about how they might do it if they were doing it).

11 minutes ago, bocumaroy said:

One of my favourite bands but I'm not sure I'd really want it to happen. Possible that I'm just making this up but I vaguely recall listening to clips of Michael singing since they split and thinking his voice was shot. 

This is a really cool Michael Stipe thing he did a few years ago, its a cover of a Mark Mulcahy track (you'll need to look him up possibly, he's beyond awesome. He's one of those guys that's been lost / overlooked for no good reason)

20 minutes ago, 1waveydavey said:

This is a really cool Michael Stipe thing he did a few years ago, its a cover of a Mark Mulcahy track (you'll need to look him up possibly, he's beyond awesome. He's one of those guys that's been lost / overlooked for no good reason)

My girlfriend's dad played me some Miracle Legion stuff a while back and I really enjoyed it. Your post has just reminded me of them. Got to explore further.

5 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

The only possibility would be a guest appearance from Stipe/ Buck with Radiohead.

Buck is doing the Vadso Sun Station festival in a small town in an Arctic region of Norway over Glasto weekend. John Paul Jones too actually, funnily enough. 

Much as I'd love it to be, it won't be REM. They're my favourite band, but they don't exist anymore. They called it a day as they weren't excited about what they were doing anymore, why would they pop up for a random show of old material? (and Micheal claims he hates nostalgia)...There's as much chance of it being REM as there is of it being The Smiths or Zeppelin. It'll be somebody currently active, with shows of their own to sell (or supposed exclusivity elsewhere) and they were embargoed from the original poster (no real other reason to hide a secret to ratchet up excitement...it's at fever pitch anyway!)...Legend slot is the most obvious, with ole Baz tucked up their sleeve as backup in case they didn't get anyone else. Something along the lines of the random addition of Slash a few years ago. 

People on this forum seem to lose sight that to most if not all acts Glastonbury is just another festival. All this talk on the other thread of bands reforming and having Glastonbury as their number 1 priority is mental talk. They don't think of Glastonbury like we all do.

Edited by Dave_c
Autocorrect thinking it's clever