Queing Overnight - needed?

mrfunk

I've done the overnight queing thing, for a few years now... and hate it so much... feeling spannered for days after.

Last year arrived Weds night, (Train), my buddy had set up tent in Paines (old Dairy) and did the Tuesday overnight queing bollox. Good man.

Im looking to camp in Paines, taking a 5man tent  ..  what is a good time to arrive to in the queue, without worrying about trying to find a space... was thinking of arriving say 7am ?

I know gate D is a ballache, but even with the overnight que in 2015, the queing seemed to fly through the gate..  

Whats your experiences, advice?

Funk 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, but to be honest, just can't remember how quick it filled up last time, 2015, when i did the overnight.. all I remember was a banging headache :( , till Thursday.

Would be keen to know what the ques are like, if you arrive 6 - 7am?

Leave the Black Country between 11pm and midnight on the Tuesday each time we go. Arrive early hours of weds. Stick emergency goods and essentials in an easily accessible part of my bag, get in whatever form of queue there is, camping chair out, sink a few celebratory beers, have a smoke, pop a valium if I really wanna catch a few hours, wake up ready to get in from 8am! The earlier I can pitch that tent, the better. There is no way I'm risking being sat in 6/7+ hours worth of traffic when I'm on the way to Glasto. I couldn't care less on the way back.

Glastonbury starts on the Tuesday the second I finish work, can't wait to get there!

Edited by Stokesy10

I leave at 9 Wednesday morning from the midlands and camp in darble. Breeze in with no queues at all and am fully refreshed and ready to go. Much rather get a good night's sleep than a camping spot in one of the more popular camps.

10 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

Leave the Black Country between 11pm and midnight on the Tuesday each time we go. Arrive early hours of weds. Stick emergency goods and essentials in an easily accessible part of my bag, get in whatever form of queue there is, camping chair out, sink a few celebratory beers, have a smoke, pop a valium if I really wanna catch a few hours, wake up ready to get in from 8am! The earlier I can pitch that tent, the better. There is no way I'm risking being sat in 6/7+ hours worth of traffic when I'm on the way to Glasto. I couldn't care less on the way back.

Glastonbury starts on the Tuesday the second I finish work, can't wait to get there!

Out of interest , what Queue / gate did you arrive at, time?  When did you get in?

I've always aimed to get to the car park about 6-7am on Wed morning traffic hasn't ever been that bad but I'm thinking of leaving about 10-11am on the Wednesday (I only live 20minutes away from site) does anyone know what the roads are like that time in the morning around pilton and the surrounding area coming from Shepton Mallet 

Hello mrfunk,

Are you going on your own, with your buddy, or with a group of mates? I say this because if it's the later, I would advise one or two people running ahead of the others with just the tent, when they do get in. That way you'll be giving yourself an improved chance of pitching a 5 man tent where you want to pitch it. Just a thought.

1 minute ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello mrfunk,

Are you going on your own, with your buddy, or with a group of mates? I say this because if it's the later, I would advise one or two people running ahead of the others with just the tent, when they do get in. That way you'll be giving yourself an improved chance of pitching a 5 man tent where you want to pitch it. Just a thought.

On my own for the first day...    never used the pass out... is there a separate queue to get back in, with the pass out?

7 minutes ago, mrfunk said:

On my own for the first day...    never used the pass out... is there a separate queue to get back in, with the pass out?

Yes there is a separate queue for re entry

Queuing overnight is sneered at by many in these parts, but does help avoid the years where traffic chaos occurs (such as last year).  It is also pretty surreal to see the place empty and watch it fill up, whether you want to have that experience is up to the individual.  This year will only be the 2nd year in the last 8 I've not done the overnight thing.

Last year was pretty grim to be fair.  We were among the first in the queue for Gate A which involved sitting in a camping chair all night in the rain under a shit poncho which fell apart by morning with the occasional spliff or cider to keep spirits up.  Everyone around us was in fine mood, regardless of the weather, which I've always found to be the case.  Every time I get there early doors I end up making friends with randoms in the queue, which helps pass the time.

9 hours ago, mrfunk said:

Agreed, but to be honest, just can't remember how quick it filled up last time, 2015, when i did the overnight.. all I remember was a banging headache :( , till Thursday.

Would be keen to know what the ques are like, if you arrive 6 - 7am?

I think (though am curious what other peoples experiences are), that some of the more popular fields (or at least the one I camp in) haven't filled up as quickly as it used to the past few years since Worthy View took off- also still seems to be a bit more room to squeeze a tent into much later on in the day. I usually arrive by coach around 7.45am, though last year due to the traffic jams didn't get there til after 12pm I think- thankfully managed to still get in my preferred location!

I think maybe sometimes the weather plays a part- 2010 filled up very quickly because the weather was so nice on both Tuesday night and for the rest of the festival, so people came as early as possible.

I will be doing the 1am coach from London this year (after promising to help our early crew if someone got me a ticket in the resale).

So will be getting to G about 4am. Whats the situation like at that time? Queue pretty long even by then? And what camps will be realistic possiblities once gates open?

Left London about 8am last year, stopped for lunch and caught in a bit of traffic but mostly avoided using side roads. Breezed through Gate C around 2pm and camped in South Park 1 where there was still loads of space. Had about 4 cans of stella on the walk from C to South Park mind you :P

We have always rocked up about gate opening time and usually get in within an hour or so of those at the front who have been there all night. 

I normally use Gate D however those at Gate A usually get on site faster in my experience. I have no idea why this is.

Bear in mind that the juiciest spots are taken before the gates open.

1 minute ago, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

We have always rocked up about gate opening time and usually get in within an hour or so of those at the front who have been there all night. 

I normally use Gate D however those at Gate A usually get on site faster in my experience. I have no idea why this is.

Bear in mind that the juiciest spots are taken before the gates open.

They give priority to people arriving via public transport at Gate A, which might make it seem that gate A people get in faster. I don't think it's quicker for car park people as they often get stopped for a while while the coach people are let in

Stayed at Wookey Hole last year on the Tuesday night. Up at 5, went to Shepton M, looked at car queue, drove to west side of Glastonbury and looked at that queue and ended up near Cannards Grave about 6.30 I think. Didn't move much by 7.30 so walked in to Gate C with a tent and there was no queue at 9am.

Some cars had been in queue all night though due to car park closure and we were moving much quicker on foot! 

This year staying in Stratton just north of Shepton so expect to be joining queue again at Cannards!

Edited by Flysheet

10 hours ago, mrfunk said:

I've done the overnight queing thing, for a few years now... and hate it so much... feeling spannered for days after.

Last year arrived Weds night, (Train), my buddy had set up tent in Paines (old Dairy) and did the Tuesday overnight queing bollox. Good man.

Im looking to camp in Paines, taking a 5man tent  ..  what is a good time to arrive to in the queue, without worrying about trying to find a space... was thinking of arriving say 7am ?

I know gate D is a ballache, but even with the overnight que in 2015, the queing seemed to fly through the gate..  

Whats your experiences, advice?

Funk 

Don't queue arrive around 9am walk straight in set up tent 

18 minutes ago, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

Yep. Sometimes you can queue all night and get put told to stay in E18 like I saw before so people rocking up at 10am to Gate C are well ahead of people who have been there since midnight.

Its a stupid idea. 

Edited by The Nal