The CAN Project

Brave Sir Robin

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those interested I have just received a mailer about future vinyl releases which includes ;

Can – The Singles, a brand new collection of all of the band’s single releases, on triple vinyl, download, CD.

VINYL

1 1 Soul Desert
1 2 She Brings The Rain
1 3 Spoon
1 4 Shikako Maru Ten
2 1 Turtles Have Short Legs
2 2 Halleluwah
2 3 Vitamin C
2 4 I'm So Green
3 1 Mushroom
3 2 Moonshake
3 3 Future Days
3 4 Dizzy Dizzy
4 1 Splash
4 2 Hunters And Collectors
4 3 Vernal Equinox
4 4 I Want More
5 1 ....And More
5 2 Silent Night
5 3 Cascade Waltz
6 1 Don’t Say No
6 2 Return
6 3 Can Can
6 4 Hoolah Hoolah

Due in on 16th June 2017

On 3 April 2017 at 6:57 PM, Mardy said:

On a related note, is the other Can fella, Damo Suziki worth going to see? He's playing Ramsgate Music Hall in August

I missed him in London last time 'cause it was on the same night as Swans but a couple of friends went. Apparently it was basically an hour long jam, but with Bo Ningen as his band. Ticket prices are pretty low IIRC, they reckon it was worth it.

Just now, CHRLY said:

I missed him in London last time 'cause it was on the same night as Swans but a couple of friends went. Apparently it was basically an hour long jam, but with Bo Ningen as his band. Ticket prices are pretty low IIRC, they reckon it was worth it.

Nice, thanks for that. I love Ramsgate Music Hall, think it's only a tenner or so, so fuck it, yeah, I'll go. Cheers CHRLY

1 hour ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Awaiting @CHRLY's review... Twitter seems generally positive about it. 2 drummers to replace the late Jaki is a fitting tribute.

I've been mulling it over. I got to see Malcolm Mooney & Irmin Schmidt part of a band performing Can songs. They all sounded pretty great and you could tell they were pleased to be there. It sort of felt more like Thurston Moore's project than anything though. It's a massive shame Jaki couldn't be there, they said at the start that he was really looking forward to it. 

They didn't play anything from Tago Mago/Ege Bamyasi/Future Days though, and they are by far and away the best records they ever put out (imo). I probably shouldn't have expected it considering Damo was nowhere near but I can't help feeling that I haven't really seen Can. After all, the reason they are so important is because of that trio of albums. 

That being said, the songs from Monster Movie and Sountracks did sound good, especially She Brings The Rain, Mother Sky and You Doo Right. 

If you're a fan then I'd definitely say go to see them at Glastonbury, just not with expectations like I had last night.  

1 hour ago, CHRLY said:

If you're a fan then I'd definitely say go to see them at Glastonbury, just not with expectations like I had last night.  

Cheers @CHRLY, that is extremely good to know. As you say, quite a different beast if they're not playing anything from that trio. Strange that they should play Mother Sky but nothing else that Damo sang on.

I note they played Thief, the one Can song that Radiohead once covered...

I went last night and I really enjoyed it. I saw most of the Q and A session at the start which was more of a panel discussion about the history of Can than anything else. Rob Young has written the complete story and its out next year. He said that Damo was not particularly interested in engaging with him as its still all about what's happening "now". The LSO concert was great and it was fun picking out the Can themes in the first half. The Can Project were simply excellent. Having two drummers did it for me. I thought they did a brilliant job overall even if on times it sounded more like The Velvet Underground than Can. Not to be missed.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 19/05/2017 at 1:07 PM, Will-2609 said:

Had never listened to Can in my life but after some spotifying of them I really wanna see this now. Anyone know what this Can Project thing is like? Is it worth catching?

check them out on youtube

On 05/04/2017 at 10:54 AM, The_Amazing_Oblong said:

For those interested I have just received a mailer about future vinyl releases which includes ;

Can – The Singles, a brand new collection of all of the band’s single releases, on triple vinyl, download, CD.

VINYL

1 1 Soul Desert
1 2 She Brings The Rain
1 3 Spoon
1 4 Shikako Maru Ten
2 1 Turtles Have Short Legs
2 2 Halleluwah
2 3 Vitamin C
2 4 I'm So Green
3 1 Mushroom
3 2 Moonshake
3 3 Future Days