Weather 2017

Nobody Interesting

2 minutes ago, Larraht said:

Our trolley suffered 3 punctured tyres on the way back to the car this year because of those quagmires. Hell on earth.

It literally was hell on earth. The field that goes from the bridge up to gate A was basically like a wasteland of abandoned trolleys, suitcases and any other wheeled appliance that didn't make it.  My trolley had big inflatable tires and the mud was so deep that the wheels got clogged up and stopped turning. Dragging it across that field nearly killed me and if it weren't for the reward at the end I would have just abandoned the fucker.

32 minutes ago, rpfranks said:

Trust me when I say it's so much easier just taking in your tent, chair and some beers the first time around, returning for everything else on a second trip. I'd imagine it will be even easier this year with the additional security measures, those bringing little on the wristband run will breeze past the long queues of people with loads. 

And then when you go back through the re-entry gate there will be a very small queue as you already have your wristband so it saves time and effort having to carry absolutely everything all at once. 

What's people's thoughts on this? I was thinking whether this is the best way to go a couple of days ago. In theory, it makes total sense.

13 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

It literally was hell on earth. The field that goes from the bridge up to gate A was basically like a wasteland of abandoned trolleys, suitcases and any other wheeled appliance that didn't make it.  My trolley had big inflatable tires and the mud was so deep that the wheels got clogged up and stopped turning. Dragging it across that field nearly killed me and if it weren't for the reward at the end I would have just abandoned the fucker.

Exactly. Also went in via gate A - we were parked in the furthest away field and took far to much on the first trip, resulting in my husband carrying half the stuff in whilst abandoning me and the rest of our gear in one of the car parks. I didn't mind - cracked open some ciders and chatted with a lovely german lady whose partner had done the same to her! My poor husband by the time he had got back though had damaged his knee in the mud and spent the whole festival being barely able to walk. We did take him to the medical tent and they gave him two options - crutches (I mean, in that mud)? Or drink a lot of alcohol to numb the pain, needless to say the solution was obvious!

5 minutes ago, Untz said:

Depends on what time you get there, but if the lock up near Gate A is open dump some stuff there and go back for it later.

They only open at about 10/10:30 though.

Thanks, I had not thought of that! Though I'll probably just try to get it all over and done with in one swift jaunt! 

Looking at the pressure maps - which I like t do - the low i the Bay of Biscay (the one that would bring heavy thunder storms) is not moving at all from Monday through to Thursday night, as far as the maps go.

The Atlantic weather is winning the battle which will keep it down there and the centre of the Atlantic low's are all showing in Scotland or well north of Scotland.

These are all very good signs.

49 minutes ago, rpfranks said:

Trust me when I say it's so much easier just taking in your tent, chair and some beers the first time around, returning for everything else on a second trip. I'd imagine it will be even easier this year with the additional security measures, those bringing little on the wristband run will breeze past the long queues of people with loads. 

And then when you go back through the re-entry gate there will be a very small queue as you already have your wristband so it saves time and effort having to carry absolutely everything all at once. 

Not sure this is correct. In previous years we have been queuing for the wristband so the re-entry was quick. This year I suspect we will be queuing for security and re-entry will be almost as painful as the first time through when it is busy.

Just now, maclauk said:

Not sure this is correct. In previous years we have been queuing for the wristband so the re-entry was quick. This year I suspect we will be queuing for security and re-entry will be almost as painful as the first time through when it is busy.

It depends on the time you go really. 

If you are in a queue before gates open and your tent is set up by say 10am and you go back to the car before midday you're likely to get in really quick the second time. The majority of people will still be in the main wristband queues by then.

23 minutes ago, Splatt said:

Still a bit too much rain swirling around for me. Chances are we'll be okay but only need one of those to be heavier and for longer than anticipated.... 

0.5 mils over a four hour period is about how much sweat there will be on the ground on the other days. Unless it gets double figure mm over the course of a day, we'll be just fine.

Anyone remember how much fell on the Friday of 2015?