Subheadliners 2017

Matt42

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

For sub headliners, I always think ticket sales and raw popularity shouldn't be as important. Booking an act that compliments the headliner, or giving a younger act a leg up should be the priority. Elbow and Kaiser's would be such wastes as far as that slot goes. Hell, I think Royal Blood are pants but they would be a much better choice to sub Foo Fighters.

If it happens I should think the compatibility is why Kaiser Chiefs are subbing Foo Fighters. I don't see any other reason, really, but they must do well for a Foo Fighters crowd if they've been a regular support act for the Foos for years.

1 minute ago, Will-2609 said:

Can we please stop going on about this "fitting two years worth of music into one year" thing. It's clearly not gonna make a difference to the lineup and was said to create some hype. They're gonna have the same budget as every year and the same amount of acts touring and available.

agreed completely.

I took my Grandma to see the Kaiser Chiefs on Saturday (supported by Spring King) and even she thought Spring King were better. It was mostly Ricky running around taking selfies with the crowd in his technicolour Chris Martin jacket. Weirdly, nobody seemed to know a lot of the old stuff but what I assume was their terrible new stuff went down really well, so they must still have some audience.

6 minutes ago, Bradders said:

I took my Grandma to see the Kaiser Chiefs on Saturday (supported by Spring King) and even she thought Spring King were better. It was mostly Ricky running around taking selfies with the crowd in his technicolour Chris Martin jacket. Weirdly, nobody seemed to know a lot of the old stuff but what I assume was their terrible new stuff went down really well, so they must still have some audience.

Heh. My nana likes Kaiser Chiefs too. She's a wessie an' all though.

That is weird though - I suppose you might just get a skew on places like this who paid attention to them on their first two albums and then got rid.

33 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Can we please stop going on about this "fitting two years worth of music into one year" thing. It's clearly not gonna make a difference to the lineup and was said to create some hype. They're gonna have the same budget as every year and the same amount of acts touring and available.

Agree with this, not just as the budget will be comparable to recent years, but also the headliners are just the same level as a 'standard' year, and there's no extra available time slots for more acts to be booked (Maybe one less if the Foos do 3 hours). I'm sure the full line-up will have lots of great acts but it won't be significantly different from 2016.

I think that the only way that "fitting two years of music into one year" quote could have any basis is if the likes of Elbow and other bands considered 'friends of the festival' have agreed to play lower slots (for little to no money) allowing for the budget to be spent on acts to fit in above them when normally they wouldnt. 

41 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

Surely that should be rich tea Wilson

Have a upvote, for that one, my man.

2 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

Exactly why it won't happen. Especially when they're headlining Download this year.

Ditto. Biffy won't be at Glasto this year.

As they supposedly had a long conversation with Emily Eavis at the NME Awards though (alongside one Matt Healy), I do wonder if they're being eyed up for 2019 though. It wouldn't surprise me if we had an Arctic Monkeys '13 repeat - in that Biffy would be booked to headline mere weeks before a new record hit the shelves. Biffy have definitely dropped off on this album cycle - but so did Mr Turner and the boys with Suck It and See. Then a Glasto slot saw a resurgence of commercial interest and voila, they became massive again.

It's a longer shot than I probably think it is - but Biffy Clyro, The 1975 and AN Other in 2019? Not wholly implausible.

(Also, these comparisons are relative, to a point, I freely acknowledge - Monkeys had an increased album stock at any given time in those comparisons. However, album sales are greatly diminished from five years ago, even. So I feel this could illustrate my point.)

Conversely, do I think Biffy Clyro will headline in 2019? Probably not. As much as I love them - and as fearsome their live and festival reputation is - I fear their moment has passed.

44 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

It's a longer shot than I probably think it is - but Biffy Clyro, The 1975 and AN Other in 2019? Not wholly implausible.

(Also, these comparisons are relative, to a point, I freely acknowledge - Monkeys had an increased album stock at any given time in those comparisons. However, album sales are greatly diminished from five years ago, even. So I feel this could illustrate my point.)

Conversely, do I think Biffy Clyro will headline in 2019? Probably not. As much as I love them - and as fearsome their live and festival reputation is - I fear their moment has passed.

If Glasto saw Biffy as big enough in their eyes then they would have had them by now I think. As much as I agree with you on Sucks It and See as I thought it was a poor album, Arctics have been bigger than Biffy for a while and I don't see that changing. 

I think Glastonbury have The 1975 in 19 and Reading do in 20 or Reading just take them in 19 by which point Glastonbury might pass them and they seem like a band that wouldn't turn the Glastonbury option down.

I really wouldn't be surprised if the Arctic Monkeys were a headliner and The 1975.

Edited by thewayiam

1 minute ago, thewayiam said:

If Glasto saw Biffy as big enough in their eyes then they would have done the by now I think. As much as I agree with you on Sucks It and See as I thought it was a poor album, Arctics have been bigger than Biffy for a while and I don't see that changing. 

I think Glastonbury have The 1975 in 19 and Reading do in 20 or Reading just take them in 19 by which point Glastonbury might pass them and they seem like a band that wouldn't turn the Glastonbury option down.

I really wouldn't be surprised if the Arctic Monkeys were a headliner and The 1975.

Pretty much my thinking. Back in 2013, post the R+L slot, I made a wager that the 2016 lineup would have been Radiohead, Biffy and Coldplay. 

So I nailed one three years in advance, go me.

Big questions linger though on what you consider a headliner size. I mean, look at Coachella - one year, they can book big name acts who'll fly for an American audience, and other years, they bring out The Stone Roses, Blur and Phoenix (whilst the former two are definitely UK headliners, American superstars they are not).

Muse, Adele and Coldplay was perhaps the closest Glasto has come to replicating 2011 in terms of booking a trio with vast global appeal and live pull. But when you've got a festival like Glasto or Coachella, which virtually is guaranteed a sell-out, you can afford to throw the odd curveball.

Biffy remain a curious one - they're undoubtedly smaller but I think we overestimate their drop off. The fact that they haven't yet been forced to top up at a smaller festival - a Kendall Calling, a Victorious, a Tramlines - means that bookers still obviously see them as bankable.

The questions that will rage long with Biffy's pull is after the R+L fiasco with The 1975 against them in the NME tent. Had The 1975 gone against RHCP for example, Biffy's crowd would likely not have been decimated so much. But I digress. They seem fairly chummy with The 1975 anyway.

Huh, that was a bit of a random warble. Anyway, moving on.

4 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Pretty much my thinking. Back in 2013, post the R+L slot, I made a wager that the 2016 lineup would have been Radiohead, Biffy and Coldplay. 

So I nailed one three years in advance, go me.

Big questions linger though on what you consider a headliner size. I mean, look at Coachella - one year, they can book big name acts who'll fly for an American audience, and other years, they bring out The Stone Roses, Blur and Phoenix (whilst the former two are definitely UK headliners, American superstars they are not).

Muse, Adele and Coldplay was perhaps the closest Glasto has come to replicating 2011 in terms of booking a trio with vast global appeal and live pull. But when you've got a festival like Glasto or Coachella, which virtually is guaranteed a sell-out, you can afford to throw the odd curveball.

Biffy remain a curious one - they're undoubtedly smaller but I think we overestimate their drop off. The fact that they haven't yet been forced to top up at a smaller festival - a Kendall Calling, a Victorious, a Tramlines - means that bookers still obviously see them as bankable.

The questions that will rage long with Biffy's pull is after the R+L fiasco with The 1975 against them in the NME tent. Had The 1975 gone against RHCP for example, Biffy's crowd would likely not have been decimated so much. But I digress. They seem fairly chummy with The 1975 anyway.

Huh, that was a bit of a random warble. Anyway, moving on.

That was a great year to be at Coachella though, being an English attendee I loved it.

Biffy haven't got that small no and they are Scottish so their new fest was easy to book then but I can't help but think if Glasto had offered them the spot instead of Download they would snap it. Their last chance I think for Glasto was Opposites and possibly even Only Revolutions. They probably needed think of wanted in 2013 as well as Reading and say no to Reading meaning they would comfortably still get it in 14 when T had think oh email. After Opposites was out a while it kind of crashed a little as think double album could have been great as one album.

3 hours ago, Will-2609 said:

This, innit?  It's like saying they'd have a headliner sized act open the Pyramid stage every day and other such marvels of Eavis branded PR guff.

39 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

That's a biscuit.

A drink's too wet without one.

Once upon a time I quite liked the Kaiser chiefs, but with each passing day, I dunno....

35 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

That was a great year to be at Coachella though, being an English attendee I loved it.

Biffy haven't got that small no and they are Scottish so their new fest was easy to book then but I can't help but think if Glasto had offered them the spot instead of Download they would snap it. Their last chance I think for Glasto was Opposites and possibly even Only Revolutions. They probably needed think of wanted in 2013 as well as Reading and say no to Reading meaning they would comfortably still get it in 14 when T had think oh email. After Opposites was out a while it kind of crashed a little as think double album could have been great as one album.

Opposites was a big album - I think the problem was that Ellipsis didn't provide a recognizable lead off single. But yeah, '13 - or '14 - would have been the perfect time. But they were always going to do R+L as their major fest debut - I do wonder, if Metallica hadn't been on the Other, whether they would have been a potential last minute replacement for Prince that year. 

2014 - the year where no-one really knew who was headlining what.

13 minutes ago, DownboundTrain52 said:

Opposites was a big album - I think the problem was that Ellipsis didn't provide a recognizable lead off single. But yeah, '13 - or '14 - would have been the perfect time. But they were always going to do R+L as their major fest debut - I do wonder, if Metallica hadn't been on the Other, whether they would have been a potential last minute replacement for Prince that year. 

2014 - the year where no-one really knew who was headlining what.

It was buy they dropped way before Ellipsis, it was talked about in here for months and that's quite telling that Metallica were an option considered but Biffy Clyro weren't.