2020 - The Biggie (Thread) and Festival

willutalk

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

Blur have gotta be in the running, I'd say. Friend of the festival and all that, and just-occasional shows to keep the interest up when they do play.

In terms of bands I consider likely to do 2020 it's Blur. 

I don't even consider Coldplay as likely as Blur. By 2020 Damon will be done with Gorlliaz and had at least a year off to sort out a new Blur release. 5 years in between albums sounds about right too.

I don't feel that confident about U2. Can't say why... but in my mind it's Coldplay, ????, Blur (for the time being). Never know who they could rope in for the Saturday. Feel like Coldplay will do Friday (like muse) and have a shot at headlining each day of the festival. They've done sat and sun recently 

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

In terms of bands I consider likely to do 2020 it's Blur. 

I don't even consider Coldplay as likely as Blur. By 2020 Damon will be done with Gorlliaz and had at least a year off to sort out a new Blur release. 5 years in between albums sounds about right too.

Damon has never had a year off.

28 minutes ago, somecoolusername said:

So 2/3 same headliners as 2011? nah 

Yeah, the weather wasn't in their favour. But legendary headline sets have transpired in the worst conditions! 

Yeah, but they're not really a festivals band are they? Got the impression it was kinda a one off

Pretty sure they said they're gonna play more festivals. That's why a few people were predicting them for this year.

1 hour ago, Will-2609 said:

Pretty sure they said they're gonna play more festivals. That's why a few people were predicting them for this year.

Yeah they've got Bonnaroo in a few weeks. Maybe another I've forgotten also.

Seems plenty of big bands that would be fitting but for ones that would have actively approached the festival to do it, from the responses here I can only see it being two of Blur, Coldplay and U2. And I still reckon Coldplay's too soon.

16 minutes ago, Will-2609 said:

Hope so seeing as I wasn't there in 2013 and can't afford to see them on tour, but I doubt they'll play again.

Yeah U2 I can see returning because their set didn't exactly go as planned so might want a do-over, but the Stones set was better than anybody could've expected or hoped so I don't see why they'd want to bother with another go at it (and tbh if the festival are gonna fork out that much money again I'm sure they'd want to do it for another super-act rather than the same one again).

6 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

"Booked" vs. Damon saying to Emily "Aye, sure thing. We can probably manage that".  

There won't be an inked deal in place, but I can imagine that where agreements are in place they're verbal and they've been made with acts that have longstanding relationships with the fest.

I would be very surprised if they'd even done that. He never has a clue where he's gonna be. A mate that knows him ran into him at a gig a month or two ago, shared the usual pleasantries, then parted with "I guess I'll see you soon then!" (meaning at upcoming Gorillaz tour dates). Damon had no idea what he was talking about. Then said "ha, oh yeah, I guess there will be some of those". And this was Gorillaz - a band officially in "active" mode again. He's always been extremely non-committal when it comes to Blur.

I have a million examples of exchanges like this. Seriously. They're a fucking shambles

On 24 April 2017 at 10:24 PM, billum said:

I want Robert Plant solo Friday, Page-Plant Saturday, full Zep reunion Sunday, or I'm not getting out of my sleeping bag

(but yes it's going to be all that but replaced with members of Coldplay)

and Them Crooked Vultures on the Other on Friday just to complete the lineup.

Does anyone think that The Killers are in for a shout?

I know that their relationship with the festival was weakened as a result of the 2007 performance (https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/music/2007/jul/12/killers.popandrock). But surely having played twice and being at the heart of an era of music that made the festival such a success in the 00s, I reckon they'd nail a 2020 show. 

9 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

"Booked" vs. Damon saying to Emily "Aye, sure thing. We can probably manage that".  

There won't be an inked deal in place, but I can imagine that where agreements are in place they're verbal and they've been made with acts that have longstanding relationships with the fest.

I was very careful not to write "booked" in my report of what Emily said.

I can't actually remember what word Emily used to me. It might have been 'booked', but even if she had I wouldn't have taken it to mean 'signed & sealed', which is why I wrote it up as 'lined up' (or whatever I used) rather than 'booked'.

From everything Emily said tho, it sounds like whoever the bands are they're exceedingly keen to play the 50th rather than to merely headline, so from that it does seem to be firm commitments from those bands.

13 hours ago, somecoolusername said:

No way Blur would be booked this far in advance. It's just not how they operate. I could certainly see them playing, but I'd say there's a minuscule chance they're one of the two acts that are apparently already booked for 2020.

I think they would be an act who Eavis would leave the space for later.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

I was very careful not to write "booked" in my report of what Emily said.

I can't actually remember what word Emily used to me. It might have been 'booked', but even if she had I wouldn't have taken it to mean 'signed & sealed', which is why I wrote it up as 'lined up' (or whatever I used) rather than 'booked'.

From everything Emily said tho, it sounds like whoever the bands are they're exceedingly keen to play the 50th rather than to merely headline, so from that it does seem to be firm commitments from those bands.

Coldplay will be there without a doubt but Chris would also take a non-headline slot with no worries as well. It they were smaller I'd suggest opening the Pyramid but way too many crowds....I could see involvement in the Sunday spot though which is used to huge crowds now anyway.

39 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Coldplay seems more likely than Blur to be playing then. Blur seem very much a fly by the seat of the pants thing. Booking 3 years in advance seems too much notice, unless its a very vague 'Ask us and we will make time'

I don't really disagree with what you say about Blur, but on the basis that it's probably not a 100%-confirmed deal I don't really think they could be ruled out.

Cos i don't think a convo between Emily and Damon that went something like "yeah, I'll get Blur together for you for 2020" is out of the question. That sort of commitment from Damon wouldn't guarantee it happening, but it would mean he'd try and make it happen - which would make it quite likely to happen.

From what the Eavii have said over the years it seems to be the case that loose-ish future commitments like that are made all time, and on many occasions they don't actually happen ... tho it's also possible I've arrived at that idea of that happening because of things Michael has said which are really bullshit (and I've good reason to not dismiss that idea).

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

I don't really disagree with what you say about Blur, but on the basis that it's probably not a 100%-confirmed deal I don't really think they could be ruled out.

Cos i don't think a convo between Emily and Damon that went something like "yeah, I'll get Blur together for you for 2020" is out of the question. That sort of commitment from Damon wouldn't guarantee it happening, but it would mean he'd try and make it happen - which would make it quite likely to happen.

From what the Eavii have said over the years it seems to be the case that loose-ish future commitments like that are made all time, and on many occasions they don't actually happen ... tho it's also possible I've arrived at that idea of that happening because of things Michael has said which are really bullshit (and I've good reason to not dismiss that idea).

Ah yeah, i was thinking that. I guess its also the rest of the band may or may not be up for it: that band dynamic would seem to need all 4 of them to be up for it before it happened. 

Someone mentioned Pulp: that would be great!

11 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Ah yeah, i was thinking that. I guess its also the rest of the band may or may not be up for it: that band dynamic would seem to need all 4 of them to be up for it before it happened. 

I don't think there's any "don't want to do it" issues with Blur, just that they're happy having lives doing other things and only want to do it occasionally.  With plenty of notice they're all probably able to all make space in their lives at the same time for Blur. 

15 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Someone mentioned Pulp: that would be great!

That's a similar "don't want to do it all the time but it's fun to do now and then" thing much like Blur, so yep, it could be that too.

I'd plump for Blur of the two tho, as Emily and Damon are quite matey, which makes a convo about a festival many years away a bit more likely, I think.

If they've already got a couple of headliners pencilled in my guess would be that they're probably UK based and not necessarily having to fit in with any on-going world tour. So the likes of Blur makes sense, and I could even imagine Macca giving the thumbs up on the proviso that he's still performing then.

28 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I don't think there's any "don't want to do it" issues with Blur, just that they're happy having lives doing other things and only want to do it occasionally.  With plenty of notice they're all probably able to all make space in their lives at the same time for Blur. 

That's a similar "don't want to do it all the time but it's fun to do now and then" thing much like Blur, so yep, it could be that too.

I'd plump for Blur of the two tho, as Emily and Damon are quite matey, which makes a convo about a festival many years away a bit more likely, I think.

Can easily see Pulp being there given Jarvis rarely misses a Glastonbury, but I think it wouod be as a sub. When they reunited they were only subs at two major England Festivals and co-headliner at one, Glasto secret set was all they could probably do based on those money bookings but I don't think Jarvis would turn his nose up at a sub at all. 

I'd say FM but that's two years after a world tour is apparently going to start so 2019 I believe for them. I easily think Ian and the lads could have agreed in principle though....but that could happen either year. Fairplay to them really for being able to return for Heaton Shows and Festivals, London shows and festivals a 2nd year, and comeback to do Manchester shows and a festival too.

16 minutes ago, henry bear said:

If they've already got a couple of headliners pencilled in my guess would be that they're probably UK based and not necessarily having to fit in with any on-going world tour. So the likes of Blur makes sense, and I could even imagine Macca giving the thumbs up on the proviso that he's still performing then.

They won't go for Macca.