2017 New Music Thread

Amy Lawn

7 hours ago, MattDavies__ said:

Can't remember if it's been mentioned in here but the new Waxahatchee album is a belter, just got myself a ticket to see her in Manchester as well. Got a feeling a sister or some relation is supporting 

Yep really loving this album at the moment. Very tempted to get tickets to go see her myself.

After slacking off for a year The Fall have finally released their 32nd. I love it, sounds like The Fall pretty much. Smith seems more determined than ever not to sing, I like it when he gets a bit growly though. Band have had a pretty consistent sound for a few albums now, curious to see if they'll mix it up a bit more drastically next time (although the absence of his wife's keyboards separates it from 2015's brilliant Sub Lingual Tablet).

Headliners 2020, mark (e smith) my words.

Never listened to it when he released it for free a while back but I've been listening to the new Passion Pit album this morning and it's really good. I listened to Manchester Orchestra's new album last night too and it seemed good as well, they're not someone I've heard too much of before but it's an album I'll definitely come back too soon.

4 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

I listened to Manchester Orchestra's new album last night too and it seemed good as well, they're not someone I've heard too much of before but it's an album I'll definitely come back too soon.

I started with the new album this morning but quickly moved to Arcade Fire. I used to love Manchester Orchestra and I would recommend starting at the beginning. Debut album I'm Like A Virgin Losing A Child is a thing of beauty (I Can Feel Your Pain, Where Have You Been, Sleeper 1972 and Colly Strings are stand out tracks) and the follow up Means Everything To Nothing is a great record too with arguably their most well known tune I Can Feel A Hot One. Since then I've not had the same feelings with the following two records. I'll give the new one a go at some point though. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, jyoung said:

I started with the new album this morning but quickly moved to Arcade Fire. I used to love Manchester Orchestra and I would recommend starting at the beginning. Debut album I'm Like A Virgin Losing A Child is a thing of beauty (I Can Feel Your Pain, Where Have You Been, Sleeper 1972 and Colly Strings are stand out tracks) and the follow up Means Everything To Nothing is a great record too with arguably their most well known tune I Can Feel A Hot One. Since then I've not had the same feelings with the following two records. I'll give the new one a go at some point though. 

New one is outstanding. They've really upped their game here, and I see from the reviews coming in that it's getting a lot off recognition. I've liked all their albums but thought they'd never quite hit the heights of their first one. This one, to me, definitely does. Not sure if it's gonna do much to make them more widely known but it really should. 

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

New one is outstanding. They've really upped their game here, and I see from the reviews coming in that it's getting a lot off recognition. I've liked all their albums but thought they'd never quite hit the heights of their first one. This one, to me, definitely does. Not sure if it's gonna do much to make them more widely known but it really should. 

Seeing every song title begin with 'The' really annoyed me and I know that is (probably) totally unreasonable. I'll give it a spin on the way back tonight anyway and hopefully I'll share your thoughts. Incidentally, one of the few bands who I have never seen live and would definitely like to. Probably only at one of their own gigs though.

16 hours ago, MattDavies__ said:

Can't remember if it's been mentioned in here but the new Waxahatchee album is a belter, just got myself a ticket to see her in Manchester as well. Got a feeling a sister or some relation is supporting 

Bumped this up my album backlog and listened last night and it's really good. Didn't quite get into her last two releases but this one is much more immediate.

3 hours ago, priest17 said:

After slacking off for a year The Fall have finally released their 32nd. I love it, sounds like The Fall pretty much. Smith seems more determined than ever not to sing, I like it when he gets a bit growly though. Band have had a pretty consistent sound for a few albums now, curious to see if they'll mix it up a bit more drastically next time (although the absence of his wife's keyboards separates it from 2015's brilliant Sub Lingual Tablet).

Headliners 2020, mark (e smith) my words.

Hope he's still strolling this plane by then. Looked worse off than usual last I saw of him. Sorta brought my anticipation for the album down but I'll be giving it a go this weekend.

That Cribs song gets better with every listen (and on my part that is A LOT). Shame some people still consider them part of the indie fart balloon of 10 years ago, one of the most consistent uk bands of this century. 

They're gonna headline 2020 (yes alongside The Fall, its gonna be great trust me)

• Upvote 1

I gave the Manchester Orchestra record a go but sadly it didn't do it for me which is a shame as I love the first two albums.

Also, bit late too the party on this one but the Public Service Broadcasting record is excellent. Can see it in a few end of year lists and would be surprised if it doesn't feature in mine! What an album.

On 7/27/2017 at 10:10 PM, MattDavies__ said:

Yeah it's lush af innit? I'm enjoying it more and more with each listen. I reckon I'm going to go to that Deaf Inst gig, never seen her before, and I hear Katie Harkin is in the touring band. I don't know that Katie Harkin has ever been involved in anything that wasn't brilliant.

"A sister or some relation", bruv, are you not au fait with the Crutchfields' other project P.S. Eliot? Sort it.
(P.S Eliot isn't the support btw, just Alison on her own I think).

Edited by GETOFFAMYLAWN