This morning...

The Red Telephone

6 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

So you don't think Hamilton became the bigger story?

as far as i'm aware, Trump tweeted two tweets about each - so him personally wasn't trying to hide one with the other.

What media outlets nothing to do with Trump might have chosen to do is their own doing, but i know with certainty that on the BBC, The Guardian and The Telegraph it was the Trump Uni story that got the headliners, and by a hugely greater amount.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

as far as i'm aware, Trump tweeted two tweets about each - so him personally wasn't trying to hide one with the other.

What media outlets nothing to do with Trump might have chosen to do is their own doing, but i know with certainty that on the BBC, The Guardian and The Telegraph it was the Trump Uni story that got the headliners, and by a hugely greater amount.

Absolutely, but Trump's team have done an excellent job of turning what should have been a minor story in relative terms to the top news item, maybe not here but certainly in the US. Where it matters. I'm not saying Trump is a master-criminal with his nefarious schemes, I'm saying it's a reminder of how his cohort are adept at playing a supposedly hostile media. I don't think any of that is particularly controversial.

14 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Absolutely, but Trump's team have done an excellent job of turning what should have been a minor story in relative terms to the top news item, maybe not here but certainly in the US. Where it matters. I'm not saying Trump is a master-criminal with his nefarious schemes, I'm saying it's a reminder of how his cohort are adept at playing a supposedly hostile media. I don't think any of that is particularly controversial.

'Politician tries to manipulate media' very definitely isn't a new thing.

Just a thought, but perhaps it even has a big bearing on why Trump is president in the first place? ;)

When there's the likes of zahidf saying that you have to think like him else you're evil, it gives people a stark choice. And when it's only morons who think like him, it starts to make it a rather easy choice even for a Trump hater.

(just to be clear, never in a million years would I have voted for Trump - but zahidf shows why plenty will have).

Edited by eFestivals

10 hours ago, zahidf said:

Why did you vote for Leave then?

Because we have a Tory govt who will shape leave. Sorry, but Lexit was practically never going to happen. Every credible left wing organisation wanted lefties to vote Remain. 

As a leftie, are you ok with a vote which lead to a limit freedom of movement? and an increase of ill feeling towards immigrants?

You cant vote the same way as UKIP and the BNP (Or the GOP and KKK in Trumps case) and pretend to be surprised when people are annoyed by your choice of vote. Why have you sided with the most regressive side of society?

Just wow.

When you remove your blinkers you might like to ask how you feel about the EU deploying gunships against refugees, or forcing refugees out of Greece to Turkey?

Or indeed the vicious attacks on the people of Greece and their democratically elected government which has seen public services handed over to some of the wealthiest in Europe and the dismantling of workers' rights?

While you're living in your personal bubble you might like to raise your eyes to the wider world and recognise what the the EU does in your name and without any meaningful democratic oversight. Please don't try to paint the EU as progressive when it has so many faults at it's core.

It's quite disgraceful to brand people as racist because you choose to ignore the some of the vile actions the EU.

4 minutes ago, musky said:

Just wow.

When you remove your blinkers you might like to ask how you feel about the EU deploying gunships against refugees, or forcing refugees out of Greece to Turkey?

Or indeed the vicious attacks on the people of Greece and their democratically elected government which has seen public services handed over to some of the wealthiest in Europe and the dismantling of workers' rights?

While you're living in your personal bubble you might like to raise your eyes to the wider world and recognise what the the EU does in your name and without any meaningful democratic oversight. Please don't try to paint the EU as progressive when it has so many faults at it's core.

It's quite disgraceful to brand people as racist because you choose to ignore the some of the vile actions the EU.

Thanks Musky. :)

I fundamentally disagree with your take on Greece, but that doesn't stop me from being able to recognise that you and me arrive at different conclusions because we weight the various factors of a complex situation in different ways.

Such things do not make you evil and me stood polishing my halo on high ground I believe I can defend from all-comers.

They are merely differences of opinion, and in anything which might happen one view wins out.

It is not the apocalyptic clash of civilisations that is all that some see, it is not the last fight of good against evil, it's not even good and evil. It's differences of opinion.

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Thanks Musky. :)

I fundamentally disagree with your take on Greece, but that doesn't stop me from being able to recognise that you and me arrive at different conclusions because we weight the various factors of a complex situation in different ways.

Such things do not make you evil and me stood polishing my halo on high ground I believe I can defend from all-comers.

They are merely differences of opinion, and in anything which might happen one view wins out.

It is not the apocalyptic clash of civilisations that is all that some see, it is not the last fight of good against evil, it's not even good and evil. It's differences of opinion.

I'd give that an up vote if that were possible. :)

I actually voted to remain, but it was a close decision. The EU has many good things about it and many bad. Anyone who paints it as wholly good or wholly evil is either taking a very narrow view or simply doesn't understand the complexities of it so, as you say, it becomes a matter of balancing the relative merits and demerits and adding weight to those according to your priorities.

Certainly nobody should be throwing around insults because they feel that a vote in one direction fits a caricature of that 'type' of voter.

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Any change of priorities always has someone on the shit end of the stick, that's just how it is. If Corbyn got elected it would be "the rich" on the shit end of the stick, but no one like zahidf would be saying that's not allowed to happen.

The main difference is though, the poor may loose their homes or be forced to use food banks, if the rich lost money due to a Corbyn victory, they'd still be able to live normally.

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

'Politician tries to manipulate media' very definitely isn't a new thing.

Just a thought, but perhaps it even has a big bearing on why Trump is president in the first place? ;)

When there's the likes of zahidf saying that you have to think like him else you're evil, it gives people a stark choice. And when it's only morons who think like him, it starts to make it a rather easy choice even for a Trump hater.

(just to be clear, never in a million years would I have voted for Trump - but zahidf shows why plenty will have).

Again I'm not debating any of that, my original point was that I've seen people (perhaps not on here but certainly on other social media) compare Trump to Boris Johnson suggesting it's going to be car crash into car crash, I'd suggest that's a pretty optimistic and unrealistic view to take of things.

1 hour ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Think this is a good point well made.

Read an article last week around how his team maximised his loud mouth clown image in order to distract the media from actually scrutinising his policies / credentials ( or lack of depending how you see it ) to be the President of America.

As many have said already, what he said before and what he actually does after will be very different I reckon.

As Neil pointed out, it`s not a new thing but it`s a thing to play the media and something Boris and very recently Farage have also managed to their advantage.

I'm not an Oracle. But the way I see this panning out is that Trump ain't gonna deliver on his promises to the Rust belt. I'd be surprised if even one steel works or coal mine re-opens. When that happens, all hell will break loose. Something akin to low level Civil War will ensue due to the preponderance of firearms in America. It will be a stage that the world goes through though. We'll be back on track ten years from now.

Some people voted Trump because they follow the extremist view, some did it because they were angry with their lives and wanted to lash out, but the ones people are confused about are the most 'normal' of the lot. The average Republican voter. They don't really like Trump, but still voted for him. Why?

Well look at it this way - you're a lefty, now imagine the UK is an actual 2-party state. Labour and Conservative. And Donald Trump is elected leader of the Labour party. He says some horrible things about women and immigrants but in terms of policy he's a tad extreme but you agree with 90% of it. Do you vote Tory because he's just such an awful person?

44 minutes ago, oneeye said:

This song sums it all up for me

Thanks Oneeye.  Put the first smile on my face today.  Happy memories of some of the glorious silliness that we can find at Glastonbury as well as the serious messages.