The world is fu**ed up

Dave_c

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Miesh said:

I knew what to do because we were subjected to a whole year of classes (with homework) by way of preparation.

I found the whole experience creepy -  sat in a box, the low voice coming from behind a curtain which would occasionally move.  Trying to think of things I'd done wrong.  I had not even turned 7. 

I refused to get confirmed though.  There was a lots of pressure from many sides.  I threatened to kick the bishop in the nuts if they tried to force me.

Bless me father for I have sinned, it's been 3 weeks since my last confession. Then 3 awkward minutes of thinking of things you had done wrong, usually like 'i talked in class' or 'I was cheeky to my sister'. Then done random prayer at the end before getting dished out your pennance. Fucked up isn't the word for it!

Just now, Dave_c said:

Bless me father for I have sinned, it's been 3 weeks since my last confession. Then 3 awkward minutes of thinking of things you had done wrong, usually like 'i talked in class' or 'I was cheeky to my sister'. Then done random prayer at the end before getting dished out your pennance. Fucked up isn't the word for it!

I went to one confession in the evening with my family. When my oldest brother went in there was this screaming match with my brother questioning the priest on this and that ecumenical matter, before bursting out of the door. We were pissing oursleves the rest of us - apart from my mom that is.

If you are from a faith family and you wish to send your children to a faith school then i agree completely with this. As outsiders from their family unit who are we to question how they should raise their children?.

I say this as a middle aged man who had christianity forced down my throat all through my primary and secondary schools. The problem being when i was a child was that all schools were C of E or Catholic which i imagine most commenting here were the same. 

1 minute ago, OG said:

If you are from a faith family and you wish to send your children to a faith school then i agree completely with this. As outsiders from their family unit who are we to question how they should raise their children?.

I would say that it's because it would be for the greater good of the children, and eventually of society. We need to blend together on a level playing field, not build up divides between ourselves.

AKALA Live 18.10.16 | Monkey Bar Swansea, Was very good. Superb drummer.

Points out very poignantly that the world is indeed very fucked up here....

This is the one that got me.....

Edited by bamber

9 hours ago, Little Andy said:

The world is a fantastic place. It's just that all the great stuff that happens doesn't make it to the news, cos its not unusual! When the 'news' (i.e the rare stuff) starts getting overwhelmed with good stuff, thats when we will be in a terrible world. But there will always be improvements that can happen. Always.

The world is a neutral place where good and bad things happen, some of it fantastic, some of it absolutely horrific. If you're feeling despondent you'll likely filter out the good stuff and focus on the bad, if you're feeling hopeful you'll do the opposite. 

I never think the problem is religion, it's people's desire to have power over others or dehumanise them and they'll use anything (religion, politics, money, culture, etc) as a means or justification. 

4 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I would say that it's because it would be for the greater good of the children, and eventually of society. We need to blend together on a level playing field, not build up divides between ourselves.

There is no doubt that it teaches good morals etc, which is a good thing. However,  it also breeds extremism and hatred. It only takes a small amount of this to overshadow the good. 

If you accept that "religion" was created by man then you can see that it is illogical to blame "religion" for anything. 

Man is the only blight upon man. Ultimately we will become extinct, perhaps at our own hand but Earth will continue spinning serenely through the void until the sun dies.

3 minutes ago, SloopJohnB said:

Some robbing b*****d nicked my laptop out of my car today....gutted!

We had our very fledgling shop broken into a couple of weeks ago, and we are still finding out about stuff they'd taken. It's a major pain in the arse. We didn't report it to the police because what would be the point - we weren't insured, and they were never going to catch the bad guys.

On 18/10/2016 at 8:57 PM, bennyhana22 said:

Dave's got it. Libertarianism, respect and tolerance are the key, in a world where Church and State are entirely independent of one another. It really isn't that hard at all. But when one of the world's 'liberated' countries behaves as it is currently (hang your head in shame, Merica), it seems like the hardest thing imaginable.

I'd settle for living in a country with separation of Church and State but we don't even have that in the UK yet.

21 hours ago, OG said:

If you are from a faith family and you wish to send your children to a faith school then i agree completely with this. As outsiders from their family unit who are we to question how they should raise their children?

Well assuming we draw the line at child abuse it's a question of what you would consider mental abuse. And I'm not being ridiculous because if without the trappings of religion I told my kids:

1) There's a magic being that watches everything you do
2) You need to spend time each day saying out loud how much you love him
3) If you don't, then when you die you will be tortured forever
4) If you kiss someone of the same gender, you'll also be tortured forever when you die
5) And if you do any other arbitrary thing I don't like, you'll be tortured forever when you die

How is that not mental abuse? It's only allowed because a large portion of the public believe it's actually true.

33 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I'd settle for living in a country with separation of Church and State but we don't even have that in the UK yet.

Well assuming we draw the line at child abuse it's a question of what you would consider mental abuse. And I'm not being ridiculous because if without the trappings of religion I told my kids:

4) If you kiss someone of the same gender, you'll also be tortured forever when you die
5) And if you do any other arbitrary thing I don't like, you'll be tortured forever when you die

How is that not mental abuse? It's only allowed because a large portion of the public believe it's actually true.

Exactly. Who is this God that created the known universe and beyond, and everything that happens within it, and yet demands that we praise him / her / it. Let's face it, if it were true, they'd really not need any sycophantic praise as we couldn't even believe to understand their genius*.

* That's me, hedging my bets as per usual - Oh, Holy Lord - with your massive crucifix!

12 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Exactly. Who is this God that created the known universe and beyond, and everything that happens within it, and yet demands that we praise him / her / it. Let's face it, if it were true, they'd really not need any sycophantic praise as we couldn't even believe to understand their genius*.

* That's me, hedging my bets as per usual - Oh, Holy Lord - with your massive crucifix!

My thoughts too.  Smacks of major insecurities and attachment issues.

19 minutes ago, dizzymoo said:

My thoughts too.  Smacks of major insecurities and attachment issues.

Oh, no. What's ahead of us is a 'needy' God. How we going to deal with this? Oh. I know, let's all have a theological discussion about it. That tends to sort out any anomalies in all religions, I find.

Edited to say - I agree wholeheartedly dizzymoo - what kind of a being have we, potentially, got to deal with?

Edited by Yoghurt on a Stick

6 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Wholehearedly agree with this, it is mental abuse. In some religions you get the death sentence for these unforgivable acts. 

Edited by Dave_c

10 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

We had our very fledgling shop broken into a couple of weeks ago, and we are still finding out about stuff they'd taken. It's a major pain in the arse. We didn't report it to the police because what would be the point - we weren't insured, and they were never going to catch the bad guys.

I gather that there is some value in it being recorded in the crime stats amongst other things.

On 18/10/2016 at 8:13 PM, Dave_c said:

The Saudi teen arrested for flirting online - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37683947

Seriously what a load of nonsense in this day and age. Can't help but think the world would be a better place without religion.

Not Glasto related but what the hell, winds me up stuff like this.

Hey don`t abuse the Saudis! those misogynistic, backwards, religious extremists are completely different from the misogynistic, backwards, religious extremists we`re currently fighting against because they give us money!

Much like the British made and supplied arms and bombs being dropped on the poor people of yemen right now are `love bombs` from the Saudis.....yes thats what they are!.....and totally different from the Russian bombs of hate dropped on the people of syria! 

On 18/10/2016 at 9:23 PM, Dave_c said:

The whole thing is bizarre in my school we were made to go to mass and go to confession etc to confess sins to the priest (hold the jokes!).  What sins can you have when you are 8 years old? I'd never dream of sending my kids off to do that. 

Simply existing makes you a sinner in the eyes of the Catholic Church. What a horrible concept to instil in children. It really is absolutely abhorrent.

I remember seeing a documentary involving middle aged adults who were raised by devout catholics, and some of them said they still have nightmares about hell after having the lilteral fear of god put into them at a very young age. It had completely screwed up their mental health.

On a personal level I remember many years ago when my great grandmother was dying, and she was absolutely terrified of judgement. It was pretty awful to see the state she was in.

15 hours ago, Rumblestripe said:

If you accept that "religion" was created by man then you can see that it is illogical to blame "religion" for anything. 

Man is the only blight upon man. Ultimately we will become extinct, perhaps at our own hand but Earth will continue spinning serenely through the void until the sun dies.

Well, there is some sort of mental deficiency within humans, stemming, I would suggest, from refusal to believe that we will die and that we are not the centre of the universe, that makes us susceptible to all this bullshit. As I'm sure we all know, most of the major religions fit into a broad template. Being religious can be compared to being mentally ill or superstitious.

Talk of the devil (ahem), has anyone seen the Louis Theroux Scientology documentary yet? It's on a limited release but I'm planning to seek it out tomorrow night.

I love how some people judge Scientologists and say their sh1t is crazy - but it's only because they turned up recently. Plenty of people accept a man walked on water, rose again, etc - but, you know, that was ages ago and some people apparently wrote it down, which somehow makes it more believable.

Edited by Homer