The world is fu**ed up

Dave_c

On 10/22/2016 at 10:26 AM, arcade fireman said:

I don't follow any religion and I'm from a not that observant Hindu background, but I can't agree with this whatsoever. 

Most religions actually teach plenty of good stuff. It's just the bad shit has been promoted by both those in power willing to exploit those passages to justify their evil together with racists who want to discriminate against them. 

Most religions don't force you to fork out hundreds of thousands, even millions of dollars to get to higher levels within it. I guess you could say there was an element of this in the Middle Ages but certainly not the case now.

Most religions are pretty open, even plenty of Mosques you can go inside. They're nowhere near as secretive and shady as Scientology. It's fucking poison designed by horrendous shits to exploit gullible idiots out of money. 

I was referring specifically to the fairy stories that people come up with in order to start a religion; I wasn't saying that all religions are exactly as bad as each other - and I agree, Scientology does seem to be the worst (followers have actually been, you know, killed!).

I can see how mainstream religions can be good for some people, though this is the big issue I struggle with: if someone believes something that is total bullshit - but it makes them happy and leads them to being a better person, is that a good or a bad thing? I guess  it has to be good (sort of).

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/20/2016 at 0:30 PM, Cheesey said:

Simply existing makes you a sinner in the eyes of the Catholic Church. What a horrible concept to instil in children. It really is absolutely abhorrent.

When I look back upon my life
It's always with a sense of shame
I've always been the one to blame
For everything I long to do
No matter when or where or who
Has one thing in common, too
It's a, it's a, it's a, it's a sin
It's a sin
Everything I've ever done
Everything I ever do
Every place I've ever been
Everywhere I'm going to
It's a sin
At school they taught me how to be
So pure in thought and word and deed
They didn't quite succeed
It's a sin
Everything I ever do
Everywhere I'm going to
It's a sin
Father, forgive

On 22/10/2016 at 7:39 AM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello bamber,

On a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is moderate and 10 is barking, where would you place yourself in terms of consensus lunacy? I only ask because I can't get my bearings myself, and thought I'd stand next to you - if that was alright?

The last part of the above statement has just reminded me of an apparent event that took place in Ireland during the Second World War. Apparently Donegal Council sent in a requisition request to Dublin for more shovels. The response from Central Supplies in Dublin was ' Owing to the war effort and the subsequent demand on supplies we are unable to provide you with the shovels you requested. Until such matters can be rectified, would the good men of Donegal please lean on each other.

I'm not really rambling right now, but do suspect I'm not making too much sense to a lot of people, so I'll just finish it there. Right there. Back there a bit. Oh, fucking hell.

Probably a 9

I avoided reading this thread before because all things to do with organised belief systems tend to annoy me.  But I've had a couple(!) of drinks tonight and there's nothing on TV so in I dived.  I have to say that it's made me remarkably sad and angry and brought up a number of memories that I really wish had been left buried.  The least of which is a time three weeks after my first communion (yes, I was a catholic too) when I had gone to confession on the Saturday to please my mum.  I was then told I had to go to confession on the Monday at school (I have absolutely no idea why). I did all the usual spiel, which included "it's been two days since my last confession" and then went on to say that I had nothing to confess.  The priest shouted at me for being arrogant, shouted that all people do wrong all of the time and that I would have to answer to my lie "in the face of God".  I was so ashamed of myself that this is the first time I have ever shared this.  I was fucking 7 (and had to look up what arrogant meant in a dictionary)!  And a very well behaved 7 year old to boot.  

Just one of the reasons why I haven't been so well behaved since I became better able to think for myself.  Maybe it did me a favour.  

3 minutes ago, mandolin said:

I avoided reading this thread before because all things to do with organised belief systems tend to annoy me.  But I've had a couple(!) of drinks tonight and there's nothing on TV so in I dived.  I have to say that it's made me remarkably sad and angry and brought up a number of memories that I really wish had been left buried.  The least of which is a time three weeks after my first communion (yes, I was a catholic too) when I had gone to confession on the Saturday to please my mum.  I was then told I had to go to confession on the Monday at school (I have absolutely no idea why). I did all the usual spiel, which included "it's been two days since my last confession" and then went on to say that I had nothing to confess.  The priest shouted at me for being arrogant, shouted that all people do wrong all of the time and that I would have to answer to my lie "in the face of God".  I was so ashamed of myself that this is the first time I have ever shared this.  I was fucking 7 (and had to look up what arrogant meant in a dictionary)!  And a very well behaved 7 year old to boot.  

Just one of the reasons why I haven't been so well behaved since I became better able to think for myself.  Maybe it did me a favour.  

There is no God, is No God

11 minutes ago, mandolin said:

The priest shouted at me for being arrogant, shouted that all people do wrong all of the time and that I would have to answer to my lie "in the face of God".  I was so ashamed of myself that this is the first time I have ever shared this.  I was fucking 7 (and had to look up what arrogant meant in a dictionary)!  And a very well behaved 7 year old to boot.  

There's not many priests that haven't done wrong. It's despicable that you were exposed to this cruel power mad monster. A priest tried to get in to me and a couple of friends pants once when I was about 14 or 15. Needless to say, he failed. The there's the time that I went to a hospital disco and when it ended for the night my mate (a doctor) dragged loads of people back to his bedroom to continue the party. Only downside was that nobody had any alcohol, Then my mate (who is gay) had a brainwave and walked up to the Chaplain of the hospital and said if you get all the communion wine from the presbetary part of the hospital, then I'll sleep with you tonight. What a result - we got pissed and my mate got the shag.

On 24/10/2016 at 0:35 PM, Homer said:

When I look back upon my life
It's always with a sense of shame
I've always been the one to blame
It's a sin
Everything I ever do
Everywhere I'm going to
It's a sin
At school they taught me how to be
So pure in thought and word and deed
They didn't quite succeed
It's a sin
Everything I ever do
Everywhere I'm going to
It's a sin
Father, forgive

That's my fav song of theirs

Just now, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

There's not many priests that haven't done wrong. It's despicable that you were exposed to this cruel power mad monster. A priest tried to get in to me and a couple of friends pants once when I was about 14 or 15. Needless to say, he failed. The there's the time that I went to a hospital disco and when it ended for the night my mate (a doctor) dragged loads of people back to his bedroom to continue the party. Only downside was that nobody had any alcohol, Then my mate (who is gay) had a brainwave and walked up to the Chaplain of the hospital and said if you get all the communion wine from the presbetary part of the hospital, then I'll sleep with you tonight. What a result - we got pissed and my mate got the shag.

What? .