The world is fu**ed up

Dave_c

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Lucy92 said:

Whether people choose to have faith or not, what it comes down to is freedom. People deserve freedom of choice (without hurting others) and to respect others

Agree with this. I have no issue with religion at all, I was raised a Catholic but am now an aethiest. I respect people who are religious but law should not be influenced by it in any way.

9 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

Agree with this. I have no issue with religion at all, I was raised a Catholic but am now an aethiest. I respect people who are religious but law should not be influenced by it in any way.

Dave's got it. Libertarianism, respect and tolerance are the key, in a world where Church and State are entirely independent of one another. It really isn't that hard at all. But when one of the world's 'liberated' countries behaves as it is currently (hang your head in shame, Merica), it seems like the hardest thing imaginable.

Ben

11 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

The world is a fantastic place. It's just that all the great stuff that happens doesn't make it to the news, cos its not unusual! When the 'news' (i.e the rare stuff) starts getting overwhelmed with good stuff, thats when we will be in a terrible world. But there will always be improvements that can happen. Always.

Ay

You never hear about the good stuff religion leads to in the world, and on that basis the media have more responsibility for the growing apathy towards religion than the tiny minority of idiots wrecking havoc in the 'name' of religion. But I guess that's the natural consequence of having a news industry so focussed on commercial interests, the 'exciting' and 'dramatic' bad stuff has to be prioritised to draw people in. 

Cameron badly messed up claiming he would bear in mind his Christian faith whilst governing, before going on to do the precise opposite of treating others as you'd want to be treated etc etc etc. Dragged Christianity through the mire to a certain extent. And then went and caused the church to go to civil war with itself with introducing equal marriage - tho I personally feel it was without question the right thing to do, it didn't help stabilise the CofE which was already going through a period of relative soul-searching.

Edited by Zac Quinn

Agree with both of you in regards to schools.  In our secondary school the people in the top sets were mainly taught how to become doctors, businessmen, lawyers etc. I was in mainly the bottom sets and we were not taught any of those, we were literally told 'one day you will have to settle down and get a job'. Where's the progress in that? What happens if you want to be involved in something creative? It's bizzare.

I suppose the fact my town is about as true blue as you can get doesn't really help things either. 

The whole thing is bizarre in my school we were made to go to mass and go to confession etc to confess sins to the priest (hold the jokes!).  What sins can you have when you are 8 years old? I'd never dream of sending my kids off to do that. 

Edited by Dave_c

5 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

The whole thing is bizarre in my schools we were made to go to mass and go to confession etc to confess sins to the priest (hold the jokes!).  What sins can you have when you are 8 years old? I'd never dream of sending my kids off to do that. 

We would hold weekly communion services and, this being in the 21st Century in Birmingham, there were people from other faiths in the school. So said people from other faiths who would be forced to go along and sit in the services but then not go up to receive the bread and 'wine'. Made everyone feel distinctly uncomfortable and embarrassed that they weren't just allowed to go and do maths homework or something, and I dare say if it had been taking place with older kids rather than at a primary school there would have been some kind of 'us v them' tension manufactured by it. Not helpful at all

Edited by Zac Quinn

1 minute ago, Dave_c said:

The whole thing is bizarre in my school we were made to go to mass and go to confession etc to confess sins to the priest (hold the jokes!).  What sins can you have when you are 8 years old? I'd never dream of sending my kids off to do that. 

I had to do all that too. In addition, we had to attend funerals of complete strangers so that we could all sing for their relatives. Then there's benediction, confession etc etc

I remember being in the playground before one funeral watching two of my mates smash their bags against each other in a play fight. Then we had to stop play and go to yet another strangers funeral to sing. During the course of this funeral there was like a massive explosion of liquid from one of my mates bags. His mom had put a carbonated drink in there in a tupperware beaker with a lid, and it had exploded because of the previous bag smashing. Pop went absolutely everywhere and there were a few around us who just burst out laughing. We all got lines for that little escapade.

I mean, fuck me, this was primary school.

2 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I had to do all that too. In addition, we had to attend funerals of complete strangers so that we could all sing for their relatives. Then there's benediction, confession etc etc

I remember being in the playground before one funeral watching two of my mates smash their bags against each other in a play fight. Then we had to stop play and go to yet another strangers funeral to sing. During the course of this funeral there was like a massive explosion of liquid from one of my mates bags. His mom had put a carbonated drink in there in a tupperware beaker with a lid, and it had exploded because of the previous bag smashing. Pop went absolutely everywhere and there were a few around us who just burst out laughing. We all got lines for that little escapade.

I mean, fuck me, this was primary school.

That's wild, we didn't do the whole funeral thing thankfully. What a fucked up thing to do at that young age! We did have the fear of god drummed into us on a daily basis though

I remember being shouted at by the priest at my first confession. I hadn't got the foggiest clue what I was suppossed to do. When I finished confessing (what the fuck I was confessing to I can't remember, given that I hadn't gone anything wrong to warrant a confession) it all went silent. I thought that was that and it must be time for me to go now, so I stood up and opened the door to go out and the priest screamed at me, asking me where i was going. I saw the face of the gilr who was going to go next in to the confessional box and felt terribly embarrassed. Then I got a bollocking off the priest again. I eventually got out of there - and the whole Roman Catholic religion thing fortunately. I can still remember them moments though. That said, it was mostly boredom that prevailed.

3 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I remember being shouted at by the priest at my first confession. I hadn't got the foggiest clue what I was suppossed to do. When I finished confessing (what the fuck I was confessing to I can't remember, given that I hadn't gone anything wrong to warrant a confession) it all went silent. I thought that was that and it must be time for me to go now, so I stood up and opened the door to go out and the priest screamed at me, asking me where i was going. I saw the face of the gilr who was going to go next in to the confessional box and felt terribly embarrassed. Then I got a bollocking off the priest again. I eventually got out of there - and the whole Roman Catholic religion thing fortunately. I can still remember them moments though. That said, it was mostly boredom that prevailed.

I'm laughing while reading your posts as it's all so familiar and ridiculous. Bet you had to go and say 10 Hail Marys and 20 our fathers for all of those dreadful sins.

4 minutes ago, Quark said:

Important distinction to be made between belief in religion and using it as a tool for power and control I feel.

Important distinction to be made between belief in religion and using it as a tool for power and control I feel.

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness. Dalai Lama

Edited by Yoghurt on a Stick

2 minutes ago, Dave_c said:

I'm laughing while reading your posts as it's all so familiar and ridiculous. Bet you had to go and say 10 Hail Marys and 20 our fathers for all of those dreadful sins.

I can't remember what he told me to do, but it would have been something like that. I never used to say those prayers. I'd just day dream and hope for the service to end soon.

1 hour ago, Dave_c said:

The Saudi teen arrested for flirting online - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37683947

Seriously what a load of nonsense in this day and age. Can't help but think the world would be a better place without religion.

Not Glasto related but what the hell, winds me up stuff like this.

The world is fu**ed up

no shit sherlock

29 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I knew what to do because we were subjected to a whole year of classes (with homework) by way of preparation.

I found the whole experience creepy -  sat in a box, the low voice coming from behind a curtain which would occasionally move.  Trying to think of things I'd done wrong.  I had not even turned 7. 

I refused to get confirmed though.  There was a lots of pressure from many sides.  I threatened to kick the bishop in the nuts if they tried to force me.