Latitude Festival 2017

scatteredscreens

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apart from a few notable exceptions (Idles, Cabbage, Marika Hackman...), music is a little lacking again. Comedy is strong though. WELL chuffed at Pappy's Flatshare Slamdown, a podcast i never fail to laugh at. Also, not on that poster thingy, but Max & Ivan are also back at the 'tude....

Obviously, this year, i will be seeing much less music....

FFS, Latitude!

Are you planning a massive bunch of amazing musical surprises between now and July?

So, the first announcement came and I thought hmmm, m'kay. But, there were a few little pearls in there and it was only the first announcment.

Then I discover that there are more musical acts announced today - yay! Oh. Not so yay, maybe...

Then Green Man put out another one with Daniel Avery, DD Dumbo and...Lift To Experience! To add to an already pretty good line-up.

know they're different types of festivals, but COME ON, Latitude! Have a bit of self-respect. DON'T drift into the safe, uninspiring musical line-up of SOOOOOO many festivals this year.

They'll be announcing Stereophonics next...

Sheesh!

My first time back there after four years and if I wasn't taking Child 3 for his first festival, I'm not sure I'd be passing over 200+ notes as things stand...

Ben

2 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

Then Green Man put out another one with Daniel Avery, DD Dumbo and...Lift To Experience! To add to an already pretty good line-up.

Couldn't agree more. I'm glad Latitude have booked HMLTD and Idles and Marika Hackman but Green Man is substantially greater than Latitude this year. Both Lift To Experience and D.D Dumbo alone beat any of the acts announced today

Music-wise, I agree too. But......anecdotally, i keep hearing that sales are doing better than usual. Maybe Neil, with his contacts, could possibly get some info on this. But, if it is true, then this might well be the direction of Latitude. More 'radio 2', less '6 music'. Which would be a pisser.....

Course, it could just be a 'bad year', music wise. Usually, they get the balance right with what i can only think of describing as 'cool' acts versus 'traditional' crowd pleasers. In my opinion. Obviously. Just maybe this year, after last year didnt do too well ticket sales wise (again, anecdotally....), they need a good sales year.....OBVIOUSLY, i think there is a way to have both......

Edited by retromoz

6 hours ago, retromoz said:

Music-wise, I agree too. But......anecdotally, i keep hearing that sales are doing better than usual. Maybe Neil, with his contacts, could possibly get some info on this. But, if it is true, then this might well be the direction of Latitude. More 'radio 2', less '6 music'. Which would be a pisser.....

Course, it could just be a 'bad year', music wise. Usually, they get the balance right with what i can only think of describing as 'cool' acts versus 'traditional' crowd pleasers. In my opinion. Obviously. Just maybe this year, after last year didnt do too well ticket sales wise (again, anecdotally....), they need a good sales year.....OBVIOUSLY, i think there is a way to have both......

Yeah, I've heard from people in the industry (again, anecdotally) that it's struggled for sales across the past few years. It is sad that they have to change it into something not as good to survive though. I think the writing has been on the wall for a posh kids' holiday camp for the past few years though. The expansion of luxury camping, plus introduction of lake swimming, seems to have gone hand in hand with a shift in demographic. 

Comedy line up is just the same as every other year isn't it? I like Katherine Ryan a lot, but she's done at least the last 6 years on the bounce.

2 hours ago, PretentiousThinkpiece said:

Never bought a day ticket for a festival before but really tempted to get one for Sunday to see Fleet Foxes - are you allowed to sleep on site, then go home in the morning?

Not allowed in the formal camping area but a part of the day tickets car park is set aside for just this, never tried it as always been a weekender.

This from the official info pages

'We have created a "day ticket holder campsite" for any day ticket holders who are unable to get home after the main entertainment finishes. There will no be charge for this campsite.

Please note that there is limited capacity and there are no facilities in this campsite other than a water point and toilets. You will be able to pitch a tent when you arrive from 10am on the day that your ticket is valid for - it is first come first served. You will only be able to stay in the day ticket holder campsite overnight on the night after your day ticket is valid.

At the end of the entertainment, please return on foot via the gate that you entered the arena through (the day ticket holder entrance / exit) and the day ticket holders campsite is next to the day car park.'

15 minutes ago, Chawk said:

Exclusives are a bitch...any announcement of Fleet Foxes UK tour still not out.

Yep got all excited to see them announce a world tour for Latitude to still be the only one in the UK so far. Got high hopes for this new album - despite a lot of people thinking they're a weak booking I think come the festival it'll seem like a masterstroke having them headline (or at least I hope so, even if I'm not gonna be there).

4 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yep got all excited to see them announce a world tour for Latitude to still be the only one in the UK so far. Got high hopes for this new album - despite a lot of people thinking they're a weak booking I think come the festival it'll seem like a masterstroke having them headline (or at least I hope so, even if I'm not gonna be there).

Someone on Facebook commented ' There is a break after Paris on 20/11 until Cologne on 01/12. You could pop the UK in there', to which Robin replied 'Yes' , so they are definitely coming, but would be good to know where.

I agree on the headline front.. they are solid live with a not a note out of place, and I feel like the new album could be a modern classic, like Helplessness Blues was/is for me...

11 hours ago, Chawk said:

I agree on the headline front.. they are solid live with a not a note out of place, and I feel like the new album could be a modern classic, like Helplessness Blues was/is for me...

I hope they pull it off. a friend who has seen them at their own shows says they are amazing. i have seen them twice at Glastonbury and this is my concern. Both times they were on large stages and seemed lost, not connecting with the crowd so I hope they can now deal with a large open air crowd

28 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

Ticket selling incentives been advertised on Latitude social media, screams panic tactics to me.

Not selling particularly well? 

The 'sell 8 tickets, get one free' thing? I thought a lot of festivals do that. 

Saying that, it's the first sign. Next would be competitions and then it'll be 2 for 1 tickets.

I don't think it'll ever get to the point of 2 for 1 tickets tbh.

Edited by aidenlangan95

12 hours ago, jamesrfisher said:

I hope they pull it off. a friend who has seen them at their own shows says they are amazing. i have seen them twice at Glastonbury and this is my concern. Both times they were on large stages and seemed lost, not connecting with the crowd so I hope they can now deal with a large open air crowd

Yah true, I remember watching an interview from the last albums where Robin said he much prefers playing tents to open air stages, almost saying that he wished they wouldn't book them there.

People that don't live in Norfolk/ Suffolk really don't realise how difficult it is for us in East Anglia to get to places outside EA and Latitude is the only festival in that region. It's friendly nature makes it perfect for a "first festival" as well as a "full family occasion", but it also caters to my needs too- especially now Forest Swords is playing. On this basis, the demand for tickets will always be there. Latitude is one of a kind, it'll sell a decent amount of tickets every year.

It might not sell out, but to jump to "TICKETS SALES STRUGGLING"- Just because they've introduced the sell 8 tickets get one free thing? tad ludicrous. Every big festival, barring Glasto, does this- i think. It makes perfect sense too. You're essentially paying someone to sell tickets for you :lol: More people selling tickets, the more will sell- law of averages. Wait, I've just had the best idea for a pyramid scheme... of which i will be the top of. BRB.

On 4/5/2017 at 8:43 AM, jamesrfisher said:

But both times were in the middle of the day playing to a crowd of people half of which probably weren't there to see them, so hopefully it'll be a different deal when they're headlining playing to a crowd of people most of which are there to see them.

On 31/03/2017 at 11:31 AM, PretentiousThinkpiece said:

shit really?  what day?

On 31/03/2017 at 11:38 AM, finn_with_1_n said:

They haven't confirmed that yet, but I assume it won't be Saturday as both acts billed under the Late Night at the Sunrise Arena are supposedly appearing on Saturday

He's on Friday, but third down the bill rather than a late night act