How many have we got left...?

Glastonbury101

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i thought the fallow year was 2018, i seen the article that said longleat were not impressed ( why would they !? the place looked like a battlefield every morning !)  but i didn't see any mention off putting it bk to 2019?  i did read something recently though where micheal evis said at his stage off life he wanted to just continue and enjoy every year before the inevitable at his age! , 

out off interest ..... does anyone know exactly what part off the festival land does he actually own ? 

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Doesn't that mean that they might have the fallow in 2018 anyway since they might not be able to make the move for 2019?

I think the fallow year is 2019 now anyway regardless of a move, they'll persuade Longleat eventually imo

Just now, rpfranks said:

I think the fallow year is 2019 now anyway regardless of a move, they'll persuade Longleat eventually imo

Or somewhere else. I agree that a festival on an alternative site will definitely happen one day. Sacking your core team every 5 years and hoping to get them back 11 months later can't be fun for anyone.

14 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

While this is true, there has to be a saturation point for glamping?

I'd have thought so, but it looks like we've not hit it yet, whereas we certainly have hit (and arguably gone past) the point where the unavailability of fields starts causing logistical headaches.

Given the numbers involved, they don't actually need to sell too many of those yurts before it becomes far more economical than the rental income they'd get from Car Parking. And the appeal of not having the land churned up by thousands of wheels has to be a big factor also.

2 minutes ago, UEF said:

Self-proclaimed festival experts will disagree, but I think they're going to do away with the fallow year altogether. Too much money to be made.

I agree

i think it was a lot to do with appeasing the locals to have a year off anyway - but not sure how they'd get away with no fallow years after the horror of Weds/Thurs etc

4 minutes ago, UEF said:

Self-proclaimed festival experts will disagree, but I think they're going to do away with the fallow year altogether. Too much money to be made.

I assumed that this was the whole point of the alternative site thing - so the Worthy and the locals can continue to have a fallow, but GFL do not. 

4 minutes ago, incident said:

I'd have thought so, but it looks like we've not hit it yet, whereas we certainly have hit (and arguably gone past) the point where the unavailability of fields starts causing logistical headaches.

Given the numbers involved, they don't actually need to sell too many of those yurts before it becomes far more economical than the rental income they'd get from Car Parking. And the appeal of not having the land churned up by thousands of wheels has to be a big factor also.

Becomes a bit of a "moving the issue on" thing.  As in, take a caprpark / campervan field and reduce the density, punters can park by their tents / yurts etc but they pay more.  Move the other cars further out.

4 hours ago, gsansom said:

The Glasto press on Sunday had eavis saying he won't be resting the festival for at least the next 2 years and Longleat is on the backburner as they visited last weekend and "weren't impressed "

yea my wife heard this as well from disabled staff.....MR E also said pilton will always be the home of the festi ....as he said at the end of coldplay [[[ too fucked to go anywhere else ]]] hell do it his way

2 hours ago, EasyUserName said:

I'd put Campervans on top of the list, after this year.  After all, Bath & West Showgrounds handled things well (from the feedback I have read) with no planning.  Imagine if everyone was sent there instead as a proper plan?

And as a campervanner for over ten years I wouldn't.

1 hour ago, ghostdancer1 said:

except it's not "moved to Longleat", it's "different festival at Longleat".

either way Glastonbury will be having a fallow year, it's just a matter of what the GFL team are doing instead.

Precisely - so I want there to be viable options, so I'm not happy Longleat weren't impressed.

3 hours ago, EasyUserName said:

You can always fly back!

I did the last time I lived there in 2013! We met Michael at the end of the festival that year and told him I'd flown that far. He expressed surprise and seemed like he genuinely touched I'd made the effort, like when a mate travels from miles away just to come to your birthday:D

Might not be possible most years though...

Edited by arcade fireman

3 hours ago, EasyUserName said:

I suspect many of the locals (& the council who decides) appreciate the year off though.

Is it a condition of the current license though? I tend to agree that having an entirely fallow year is somewhat unsustainable at this point.

3 hours ago, incident said:

I'm sure I saw some glamping on Groupon or similar this year or last.

I can't find it for the life of me now but the Glasto Free Press on the Thursday also had something from Michael along the lines of the fallow year would be in 2019. I can't remember the exact words but it was definitely along those lines.

Shaun.