Areas that need to change, be renewed, or be replaced

FieldOfAvalon

4 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

The Silver Hayes area needs something. The actual stages are fine, but it's the whole feel of the field, at night it can seem like a black dark space, maybe more creative lighting, pathways, areas to walk through to get to the different stages. I don't think it needs a complete re-think just stuff between the stages.

Wasn't that where Cube Henge used to be? Add something like that.

5 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

I would get the old alley ways from Shangri La and move them here. Or something similar. 

I'm sure I heard somewhere that the alleyways had to go for emergency vehicle access reasons but I may have imagined that.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

I agree, this must never change. That's the point.

Although I admit to getting quite angry at the flyers for the Green Field homeopathy tent on the toilet doors. "Feeling unwell? Come to the Green Fields and we'll treat you with homeopathy".

Alternatively go to a festival medical tent and get actual treatment.

On 1 July 2016 at 7:55 PM, FuzzyDunlop said:

The Silver Hayes is ok, with the exception of the Sonic tent. Replace that with a better shaped one and maybe a few lights. At night the area is pitch black. 

My main issue with the sonic stage was that you needed to be almost entirely under the cover to avoid the sound bleed from the BBC introducing. Think maybe they need to swap introducing for the gully, since the gully is smaller and shouldn't produce the volume

5 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Although I admit to getting quite angry at the flyers for the Green Field homeopathy tent on the toilet doors. "Feeling unwell? Come to the Green Fields and we'll treat you with homeopathy".

Guess it depends if you need actual treatment.  Sometime people just need a chat.

7 minutes ago, Jugtanion said:

My main issue with the sonic stage was that you needed to be almost entirely under the cover to avoid the sound bleed from the BBC introducing. Think maybe they need to swap introducing for the gully, since the gully is smaller and shouldn't produce the volume

Almost feel like they don't really know what to do with the gully.  I personally love that stage, but it's new location felt like it had been plonked on the edge of SH a wee bit.  

Silver Hayes has never bothered me, I don't spend time there personally very much but camping in Pylon the past few years, I do pass through it very often. I just think they could spice it up a bit and make it seem a more attractive prospect 

As for the SE Corner, I think it's only really Shangri La that needs any kind of shake up. The Common and Block 9 especially this year I felt were better than they've ever been. Block 9 could even expand further and make it even better. I spent very very little time in Shangri La this year, once to show round a few newbies who wanted to see it, and once to see how busy LBHQ was looking at about 5am, neither of which resulted me in staying for more than 25/30 mins. It just seems to be full of people gawping at the sights, people don't seem to go into the venues or stay at heaven/hell for very long, which I think is a great deal of the problem, it's became more of a 'must see' tourist attraction at the festival, rather than somewhere people go to lose their shit after midnight, which is what it really should be. 

I would be all for Glasto Latino moving through to the Cabaret field, with Block 9 expanding out into that area, The Common staying the same and a complete re-jig of Shangri La, there's definitely work needs to be done anyway

23 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Really, maybe slightly irritated or a bit cross is more appropriate :)
Charm x

5 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

I would be all for Glasto Latino moving through to the Cabaret field, with Block 9 expanding out into that area, The Common staying the same and a complete re-jig of Shangri La, there's definitely work needs to be done anyway

I believe Glasto Latino is where it is (and mostly empty) to act as a holding/overflow area for the south-east corner, so that sort of empty bit is needed for safety reasons.

2 minutes ago, Charm said:

Really, maybe slightly irritated or a bit cross is more appropriate :)
Charm x

Definitely angry. And that definitely had nothing to do with anything else on Friday that may have influenced my general mood I'm sure... :)

9 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

I agree, Block 9 could definitely do with a bit more room, its currently very constrained by the tiny field it's in. 

I've noticed that nobody has even mentioned the Unfairground and I'm not surprised. It's not bad by any means but I also don't think it's really good or interesting enough to justify the space it's taking up. 

I also wouldn't want Glasto Latino moving too far away from the rest of the SE corner. It gets overshadowed by its neighbours as it is and if it was further away I imagine even fewer people would bother with it.

12 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Definitely angry. And that definitely had nothing to do with anything else on Friday that may have influenced my general mood I'm sure... :)

Have you considered something to help with your anger Deano?  Homeopathy maybe... :D

Edited by Quark

3 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

I agree, Block 9 could definitely do with a bit more room, its currently very constrained by the tiny field it's in. 

I've noticed that nobody has even mentioned the Unfairground and I'm not surprised. It's not bad by any means but I also don't think it's really good or interesting enough to justify the space it's taking up. 

I also wouldn't want Glasto Latino moving too far away from the rest of the SE corner. It gets overshadowed by its neighbours as it is and if it was further away I imagine even fewer people would bother with it.

See I thought the opposite of Glasto Latino, if it were a lone standing venue in Cabaret before you enter the SE Corner it mig attract more punters, maybe not. It doesn't seem to have done Arcadia much harm 

As long as they don't fuck up Block 9 if/when they're making changes, I don't really mind, it's definitely my go to late night venue, especially after 3am. Until then I tend to avoid the SE Corner all together unless it's specifically to see someone 

1 minute ago, Mezhyp1 said:

See I thought the opposite of Glasto Latino, if it were a lone standing venue in Cabaret before you enter the SE Corner it mig attract more punters, maybe not. It doesn't seem to have done Arcadia much harm 

As long as they don't fuck up Block 9 if/when they're making changes, I don't really mind, it's definitely my go to late night venue, especially after 3am. Until then I tend to avoid the SE Corner all together unless it's specifically to see someone 

But Arcadia is a giant metal spider that shoots out flames and lasers, it's going to attract a crowd wherever it is.

If there was any way of putting more late night stuff on outside of the south East corner then that would help a lot I'm sure. The only time I actually got in there was Monday at 4am. Otherwise it was just horrendous. The crush on the railway line at about 2am Friday was really horrific. I'm just not sure there's much that can be done about it tho.

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

Have you considered something to help with your anger Deano?  Homeopathy maybe... :D

I did a full course of homeopathy training last year.

By which I mean I went swimming in the same pool as a fully trained homeopath at one point

(joke blatantly nicked from Ian D Montfort.)

1 minute ago, The Nal said:

Acoustic Stage defo. Nice area, great bar but the hump in the ground in the middle of the tent coupled with it being on a hill means unless you're close you can see fuck all. 

Yep it's shit. But how often is it busy enough that you cant get close? Only a couple of times every festival I bet. 

It is shit though.

2 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Not sure moving anything into Bellas Field is the answer - there's already the Cabaret Tent, Mavericks, Sensation Seeks, and a Bar in there which all go well past 1am (some to about 3-4am), and yet those are generally half empty after midnight while the hoardes passing through Bellas Field see it as nothing more than a route they have to pass through in search of the "real" late night venues.

2 minutes ago, russycarps said:

Yep it's shit. But how often is it busy enough that you cant get close? Only a couple of times every festival I bet. 

It is shit though.

Have to be really close if its in anyway full for a decent view. Bootleg Beatles and Art Garfunkel were rammed this year of the gigs I saw. 

One of the reasons its never that jammed is because its shit. Was good before they changed it in 07 or whenever it was. 

1 minute ago, incident said:

Not sure moving anything into Bellas Field is the answer - there's already the Cabaret Tent, Mavericks, Sensation Seeks, and a Bar in there which all go well past 1am (some to about 3-4am), and yet those are generally half empty after midnight while the hoardes passing through Bellas Field see it as nothing more than a route they have to pass through in search of the "real" late night venues.

I'm getting quite happy with letting everyone else squeeze into SE Corner and leaving me free to enjoy other things!  Took me a couple of years to get past the idea that I had to head there for anything after midnight, but unless there's anything specific on Hell I'm quite happy going without.

On 01 July 2016 at 8:41 PM, sabre-toothed tart said:

Silver Hayes without a doubt.  I don't know why but it's always a bit menacing to me (even completely sober).  The mud this year didn't help either, made it a bit of a barren wasteland.  xx

Ive never got this feeling with Silver Hayes, and im not a menacing or intimidating person, but Ive had some great nights in there once the bands main stages have finished. Found the crowds in The Blues and the Sonic Heds Party to be some of the best Ive ever been in, really friendly people just up for a good time.

10 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Acoustic Stage defo. Nice area, great bar but the hump in the ground in the middle of the tent coupled with it being on a hill means unless you're close you can see fuck all. 

I have always wondered why they don't have the stage at the bottom of the hill - maybe just switch the whole area round with bar at the top and main tent at the bottom?

2 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

I have always wondered why they don't have the stage at the bottom of the hill - maybe just switch the whole area round with bar at the top and main tent at the bottom?

Pretty sure it used to be a bit more to the left, nearer the path on the way to the family camping. Was fine then. 

Remember watching Arthur Lee there in 04 and having a great view.