The state of the ground

Sawdusty surfer

Major dilemma now whether to use trolley or not? If it's typical heavy mud going in from car parks to gates - as experienced from previous years when it's been a muddy one- would we be better off just doing back packs and doing another run back to the car? We have a festival trolley with ground clearance and proper tyres but it's going to be hard work isn't it? Might have to re- pack! Or do you think we'll be OK? 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, waterfalls212434 said:

To prevent endless questions like this, can someone with the knowledge please post what sites would be considered 'low risk' of any flooding 

Most of the site is at low risk of flooding. It's area which are relatively flat that you're more like likely to find areas of boggy ground, although even these will have small mounds that are relatively unaffected. I'd avoid the bottom of Pylon, Rivermead, oxlyers, the bottom of Bushy and anywhere too close to the south side of the railway line. Avoid any small patches that look like they might be in a slight hollow anywhere on site.

I don't think flooding as such is the worry, just waterlogged ground. 

2 hours ago, kaytee... said:

This is what I was thinking. That's why I liked woodsies because it felt like it was on a slight incline in comparison. Now that's not open I'm not sure where to head. I'm assuming bushy ground is rather flat too.

now I have not got a tape measure out but from top to bottom there is a good 20 feet slope if not more so I would never describe that field as flat

29 minutes ago, LeeGalvin said:

Sooooo...

I usually camp in Bushy, and that's always served me well, but I'm beginning to wonder if the ground is a bit on the low side for the current weather. Anyone got any good recommendations for a field similar to Bushy (in atmosphere, noise etc.) that's a bit higher?

I have seen Bushy Ground when its empty and its only then can you see how steep that slope is - the top 1/2 { near VG4 } should be fine .

wherever you camp ' there will always be a hill above you - just stay away from the bottom
as that area did get badly flooded just a day or two ago

you cant see it but if you look at the image ' the left hand side is also higher the the right hand
side ' so camp on the left '

if I was a ticket holder and my car was parked near gate D I would be camping there { top half on the left hand side } -

my crew camp is just above Bushy Ground and there has been no reports its water logged -
further along near the farm that area did require pumping out.

image thanks to Wickedfaerie

7776ge1.jpg

7 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

now I have not got a tape measure out but from top to bottom there is a good 20 feet slope if not more so I would never describe that field as flat

I have seen Bushy Ground when its empty and its only then can you see how steep that slope is - the top 1/2 { near VG4 } should be fine .

wherever you camp ' there will always be a hill above you - just stay away from the bottom
as that area did get badly flooded just a day or two ago

you cant see it but if you look at the image ' the left hand side is also higher the the right hand
side ' so camp on the left '

if I was a ticket holder and my car was parked near gate D I would be camping there { top half on the left hand side } -

my crew camp is just above Bushy Ground and there has been no reports its water logged -
further along near the farm that area did require pumping out.

image thanks to Wickedfaerie

7776ge1.jpg

That's brilliant. Many thanks for that. We usually camp in the bottom right of your photo, but I think we'll head to the top this time. You've been very helpful!

I really don't mind conditions under foot - I mean at a festival in the uk you should learn to expect mud. 

I just hope the conditions overhead stay fairly dry on the weds and thurs. Don't mind if it rains on the weekend as I'll be too busy watching the bands !

5 minutes ago, fur_q said:

Here's the EAS flood risk map for the site, avoid the blue areas.

image.png

Look at you with your fancy EA flood zones 2&3 layers :P

It's a shame that I can't locate the site from that map

4 minutes ago, fur_q said:

Here's the EAS flood risk map for the site, avoid the blue areas.

image.png

That seems vey odd. That's suggesting areas of Pylon that are on a hill above some of the lower lying ground are going to flood whilst parts of the ground below it won't?

I've just had a text from a friend who helps run the chai tent in the greenfields, she's been going for 15 years and says this is the wettest Glastonbury ever and that she woke up to a flooded tent. :/ doesn't bode well, heavy rain to continue today, then few days of drier weather, but will it be dry for Wednesday?? Doubt it :( think we can expect a wet Glastonbury underfoot as there are still quite a few showers forcast for the 5 days on top the current rain, deposits a few days of dry to come 

It should of course be noted that the pics on that Twitter feed are of areas which have experienced a significant amount of heavy vehicle movement over the weekend, at the same time as there has been a consistent level of heavy rain. The car parks and campsites won't have had any significant amount of vehicle movement since the trakways were laid and the grass mown a few weeks ago so the ground there is likely to be in a much better state. I think this is borne out by the pictures posted by others on here.  

4 minutes ago, ripcurl85 said:

It should of course be noted that the pics on that Twitter feed are of areas which have experienced a significant amount of heavy vehicle movement over the weekend, at the same time as there has been a consistent level of heavy rain. The car parks and campsites won't have had any significant amount of vehicle movement since the trakways were laid and the grass mown a few weeks ago so the ground there is likely to be in a much better state. I think this is borne out by the pictures posted by others on here.  

But the ground will be highly saturated, it takes quite a long time to drain this amount of rain, bit of walking on it and it turns straight to mud 

9 minutes ago, Wow-wys-buzzing said:

I've just had a text from a friend who helps run the chai tent in the greenfields, she's been going for 15 years and says this is the wettest Glastonbury ever

Maybe the wettest  pre-festival period....but the festival hasn't started yet and the rain is due to stop.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Maybe the wettest  pre-festival period....but the festival hasn't started yet and the rain is due to stop.

thank god you're a regular on this thread. your positivity is keeping me afloat. although more and more am i resigning to the fact i'll probably need to bring wellies instead of walking boots...