Getting through the crowd- Thoughts?

ElLouise

So everyone has to get through the crowd- it's everyone Glastonbury, so everyone wants to get a decent spot. But I have a bit of an issue, not with the people getting through the crowd but the people who tut, give dirty looks or worse try and push back. I think it's really rude and not in the Glastonbury spirit at all, I get some people barge through which isn't right either especially when there's kids about, but I think just let it go everyone needs to get through the crowd at some point. Most people say sorry as they go through, but even if they don't I don't think the negative energy is needed. What do you think? 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes you have to push to get to the promised land. Often there's a massive crush at the edges and just outside of the Pyramid front circle, but if you get to the back centre of the circle it's quite thin. At a lot of stages, it's more squashed towards the back than it is about 10 metres back from the barrier.

9 minutes ago, giantkatestacks said:

what crowd are you referring to? If I have waited out the sub for the headliner patiently at the Pyramid near the front and someone pushes through just before the headliner then yes there will be push back and maybe tutting. In fact I refuse and make them go behind me. Get there earlier. 

I 100% disagree.

If you're so desperate to get a good spot for the act you love, you gotta be prepared to piss a lot of people off.

Though generally it's only the headliners you need to push to the front for. With every other act throughout the day you can generally just get there just as the act before finishes and get in while people are leaving.

Edited by Acid_Haze

Nothing worse than people taking up 2sq meters with a huge blanket tutting if you even step near it while trying to walk through the pyramid field.

If you want to watch from the front you have to expect people pushing by you it comes with the territory

23 minutes ago, ElLouise said:

So everyone has to get through the crowd- it's everyone Glastonbury, so everyone wants to get a decent spot. But I have a bit of an issue, not with the people getting through the crowd but the people who tut, give dirty looks or worse try and push back. I think it's really rude and not in the Glastonbury spirit at all, I get some people barge through which isn't right either especially when there's kids about, but I think just let it go everyone needs to get through the crowd at some point. Most people say sorry as they go through, but even if they don't I don't think the negative energy is needed. What do you think? 

Of course many folks are a wee bit merry and sleep deprived, hence both parties can be a bit unsteady.  Mostly folks who are going past are really careful, but some you can see clearly couldn't give two hoots who they knock or what they stand on. 

If we all get together and have a group hug at the end it will be fine ;)

17 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Sometimes you have to push to get to the promised land. Often there's a massive crush at the edges and just outside of the Pyramid front circle, but if you get to the back centre of the circle it's quite thin. At a lot of stages, it's more squashed towards the back than it is about 10 metres back from the barrier.

Yeah it's quite often not as busy as you think once you get in the mix at the front. Last year for example I thought I had no chance of getting in to see Wolf Alice in Williams green on the Thursday but with a bold move during the changeover is was able to slip in quite near to the front and it wasn't too bad,

I think as long as people are polite and not aggressive then it doesn't bother me.

(if anyone steps  on my Kath Kidston blanket during Adele though I'll take them to the f**cking cleaners!)

Edited by rubenz

The most annoying thing for me is when people look like they are moving through to get closer to the front and so you move to let them past and then they decide to stop right in front of you... And they are all at least 7ft tall.

5 minutes ago, rubenz said:

Yeah it's quite often not as busy as you think once you get in the mix at the front. Last year for example I thought I had no chance of getting in to see Wolf Alice in Williams green on the Thursday but with a bold move during the changeover is was able to slip in quite near to the front and it wasn't too bad,

I think as long as people are polite and not aggressive then it doesn't bother me.

(if anyone steps  on my Kath Kidston blanket during Adele though I'll take them to the f**cking cleaners!)

Too right. I'm already there; front middle with me flask of tea waiting for rolling in the deep. 

1 minute ago, rubenz said:

(if anyone steps on on my Kath Kidston blanket during Adele though I'll take them to the f**cking cleaners!)

We were crushed at the sound tower for most of Hot Chip last year, then my sister went to the toilets and discovered there was loads of space to be found a lot closer in. Smashing Pumpkins in 2013 is the most drastic one I can think of though, really struggled to get through the flags, then vast open spaces down the front.

When I was maneuvering in for The Stones that year, I stood in front of a group all sprawled out on the floor, actually inside the inner circle. They sat there huffing and rolling their eyes for about 20 minutes, eventually the group's alpha male decided to say "yeah, no worries mate, just stand right where we're sat why don't you?". I looked at him, quite incredulous, for a few seconds and all I could think to say was something along the line of "errr, yeah... I will actually", then he replied "Congratualtions on being a twat!". Group of kiwis right in front turned around, one of them said something hilarious that demolished the guy (which I've since forgotten), the kiwis befriended me and other surrounding people. The Stones were on point, we all had a lovely time.

5 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

The most annoying thing for me is when people look like they are moving through to get closer to the front and so you move to let them past and then they decide to stop right in front of you... And they are all at least 7ft tall.

Yeah that's bad form, there should really be an unwritten rule to stop it. Maybe it's just me but another annoying one is when someone (usually a girl) will push through on their own before inviting a large group of their friends to join them. To answer the OP, I think carrying two drinks is a useful tip as it looks like you're meeting someone plus if it's busy it'll save you going back to the bar. 

5 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

We were crushed at the sound tower for most of Hot Chip last year, then my sister went to the toilets and discovered there was loads of space to be found a lot closer in. Smashing Pumpkins in 2013 is the most drastic one I can think of though, really struggled to get through the flags, then vast open spaces down the front.

When I was maneuvering in for The Stones that year, I stood in front of a group all sprawled out on the floor, actually inside the inner circle. They sat there huffing and rolling their eyes for about 20 minutes, eventually the group's alpha male decided to say "yeah, no worries mate, just stand right where we're sat why don't you?". I looked at him, quite incredulous, for a few seconds and all I could think to say was something along the line of "errr, yeah... I will actually", then he replied "Congratualtions on being a twat!". Group of kiwis right in front turned around, one of them said something hilarious that demolished the guy (which I've since forgotten), the kiwis befriended me and other surrounding people. The Stones were on point, we all had a lovely time.

Yeah for the Pumpkins I was right near the front and there was plenty of space. The sad thing was I missed the second half of the set in favour of an ill fated trip to the park for the secret set that never was! (although I did get to see Cat Power which was good) I think a lot of people prefer to hang back a bit and don't like the idea of getting closer in really.

I am quite tall though so am conscious of trying not to turn up and plant myself right in front of someone who then can't see. Hence I normally try to be in position fairly early and not squeeze in at the last minute.

I have mixed feelings about this,  I suppose what someone said above about striking the right balance is important.

The one time this did really annoy me was when I was trying to leave the Lionel crowd last year (from really not that far forward) and multiple people were tutting and shoving and all the rest. I mean if someone's being a dick trying to get further forward that's one thing, but it would be great if people were allowed to leave the crowd when they wanted. 

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I 100% disagree.

Fair enough, maybe you're tall. Or incredibly zen. If I have reached a point really quite near the front when I consider that even using all my wiles I would then have to push to get any further but other people think its fine to do so then yeah I think thats bad form.

its like on the tube in the morning. I often think that door cant take any more but there will be that one man who thinks theres space to push on anyway. He winds everyone up but thinks he is more important and pushes on anyway.<shrugs>

50 minutes ago, JoBalls said:

Yeah that's always the problem. While I don't tut or scowl, I'm not going to move or help someone get through in anyway. I put myself in an awkward position, in theory temporarily, to help someone get through and they end up stopping right there.

Its the circle of chairs near the front that pisses me off. How they don't feel the wrath of everyone around them I don't know, especially when they're nobbish about you knocking in to their chair. If you want to be in the front then expect the crush, sit on the floor or move your chairs to a less congested area.

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm not arsed if people move past me. If they want to deal with more of a crush, all power to them. It's not a queue.

Exactly this.

There's no need to get all territorial, find a spot that's good for you and accept that there may be a bit of stepping to the side here and there if your view gets obstructed.

I just take a large Canopy knife and slash through the crowd. 

By the time I get to headliners, i'm usually wasted and I enjoy watching from around the sound desk. I enjoy it far more than being cramped with all the peasants at the front.(although I do enjoy an excursion into the depths every now and then) :P