Getting through the crowd- Thoughts?

ElLouise

As much as rucksacks are annoying in crowds, I don't think it's unreasonable for people to have them.

Shoulder bags can cause havoc on anyone that has a bad back (me!), so I would opt for a rucksack without hesitation. In crowds I hold it in front of me and when I'm stationary at a stage I put it on the floor between my legs unless it's super boggy.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

This whole thread can be summarised in four words:

Don't be a dick.

Yeah, literally an endless discussion.

I'm 6ft5 so always very conscious of pissing off the people behind me. I'll usually post up in a position before a band comes on and not move from then so people around can sort out a decent view in time. The only ever reason I'd push forward is if I'm seeing a lively act and I want to get further forward to dance/throw limbs with other like minded people.

I'm 6ft 3 and enjoy Glastonbury time (not having to do anything by a certain time) when I'm there.  That includes getting in place to watch someone I really want to see well before they come on.  I put a lot of effort into not being a dick.  But, I will still arrive late sometimes for even my most favourite acts and may still want to be in among the crowd rather than stuck at the back.

I also spend my whole time being aware that whereever I am, people behind me get pissed off.  I will find dips and undulations to stand in.  I have a Glastonbury stoop.  I will avoid shifting my weight from side to side so people behind me can look over my shoulder without me constantly moving.  So it's not like I just don't give a shit.  But I will still be late.  And I will still want to stand in the crowd.  Is there a way to make everyone happy?

On 17/04/2016 at 11:18 AM, ElLouise said:

So everyone has to get through the crowd- it's everyone Glastonbury, so everyone wants to get a decent spot. But I have a bit of an issue, not with the people getting through the crowd but the people who tut, give dirty looks or worse try and push back. I think it's really rude and not in the Glastonbury spirit at all, I get some people barge through which isn't right either especially when there's kids about, but I think just let it go everyone needs to get through the crowd at some point. Most people say sorry as they go through, but even if they don't I don't think the negative energy is needed. What do you think? 

Forgive me, for I was off my box when I last posted. I actually read it as you thinking the negative energy was needed - hence my question 'what do you mean by need'. I couldn't comprehend why you'd want a little moodiness, unless you were a ducker and diver who needed that kind of edginess.

10 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I don't go in to crowds anymore to watch an act, and the need for a pee is one of the main reasons. I have the bladder of a field mouse. Not a real bladder of a field mouse you understand.

I'll not question what you're into

8 minutes ago, verrymerry said:

:mellow:

Only joking. It stems from a conversation I once had at a party. This bloke there was talking about sticking dope up his arse to get it through customs. Someone then asked him how he got it out again. He then said something along the lines of ' well, it was the last thing to go up my arse, so it wasn't pretty easy to get it out'. I then said to him 'if that was the last thing to go up your arse, what went before it'? To which he replied ' well, you know me, I'm not satiated unless I've got a boxing glove on the end of a Kango going up there'.

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Only joking. It stems from a conversation I once had at a party. This bloke there was talking about sticking dope up his arse to get it through customs. Someone then asked him how he got it out again. He then said something along the lines of ' well, it was the last thing to go up my arse, so it wasn't pretty easy to get it out'. I then said to him 'if that was the last thing to go up your arse, what went before it'? To which he replied ' well, you know me, I'm not satiated unless I've got a boxing glove on the end of a Kango going up there'.

:lol:

Just now, verrymerry said:

:lol:

Yes, it made me laugh too. I knew he was one of us when I heard about his one and only presence at a big mother of a deal meeting in the board room of Cadbury's in Birmingham. Apparently the meeting got out of hand with people all accusing each other of failings etc (think The Apprentice). Anyway, this bloke slammed his hands on the table with so much force that he gained everybody's attention, and then proceeded to tell all the assembled ' for fucks sake will you listen to yourselves - it's only chocolate'. Not the best career move when working for Cadbury's. lol

1 minute ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Yes, it made me laugh too. I knew he was one of us when I heard about his one and only presence at a big mother of a deal meeting in the board room of Cadbury's in Birmingham. Apparently the meeting got out of hand with people all accusing each other of failings etc (think The Apprentice). Anyway, this bloke slammed his hands on the table with so much force that he gained everybody's attention, and then proceeded to tell all the assembled ' for fucks sake will you listen to yourselves - it's only chocolate'. Not the best career move when working for Cadbury's. lol

Did it work...? 

Just now, verrymerry said:

Did it work...? 

Not sure what he was trying to achieve, so don't know. In any case he continued to 'work' for them from home. When asked what this entailed he said that it mostly involved him sitting in his underpants strutting his guitar and not doing much work.

As an aside - he was for a brief while my cocaine dealer. He got the stuff from his ex-wife who by all reckoning was as hard as nails. It's funny but he once regaled a story about a copper knocking on his door asking about a shooting incident. He went on to blabble about how he knew nothing of his ex-wife's activities, when the policeman had actually turned up to caution him about his son's use of a BB pellet gun in public.

Just now, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Not sure what he was trying to achieve, so don't know. In any case he continued to 'work' for them from home. When asked what this entailed he said that it mostly involved him sitting in his underpants strutting his guitar and not doing much work.

As an aside - he was for a brief while my cocaine dealer. He got the stuff from his ex-wife who by all reckoning was as hard as nails. It's funny but he once regaled a story about a copper knocking on his door asking about a shooting incident. He went on to blabble about how he knew nothing of his ex-wife's activities, when the policeman had actually turned up to caution him about his son's use of a BB pellet gun in public.

I don't know why, but I reckon this guy would be good in a crowd.  He's amused me, I've never even met him :P

8 minutes ago, verrymerry said:

I don't know why, but I reckon this guy would be good in a crowd.  He's amused me, I've never even met him :P

He is a fine bloke. I hadn't seen him for years but he managed to turn up to my 50th birthday party celebrations which lasted from Friday until the Sunday afternoon. Unfortunately he seemed to have moved on to slap stick comedy by then. He only lasted about 5 minutes in any one period before he and the chair went crashing to the ground.