No fly zone over Glastonbury site

stixmcvix

a few years ago , was attacked by a flock of seagulls, (not the band)

big white flappy noisy bastards, they went in the tents and everything. they need to put a no fly zone for them.

scary fookers, tried to sit there looking all hard and stuff and when you have three of them swooping at you and your ice cream you look like a right knob trying to karate chop them

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, shuttlep said:

scary fookers, tried to sit there looking all hard and stuff and when you have three of them swooping at you and your ice cream you look like a right knob trying to karate chop them

Up close, they are much bigger than you think they're going to be. Rather you than me trying to karate chop them!!!

Seagulls are fairly indigenous to Oxlyers. Says a lot about the campsite really when they prefer it to the landfill tip place in Shepton Mallet. 

Jet planes fly over every year though, on the Wednesday I think. A sort of "hello" type thing.

Hopefully this year they'll wait until Coldplay are on the road and rain down a hail of M61 Vulcan bullets at the general direction of the tour bus.

45 minutes ago, GlastoEls said:

Didn't Roger Waters arrange something with planes or was that  my cider hallucinations?

That was just the quad sound system and the helicopter noise. Freaked a few out to be fair!

although I'd never looked into it, I've always assumed there was a no fly zone over the festival. I'm a private pilot and one of the first things we learn is where we're not allowed to fly, and built up areas or large gatherings of people are pretty high on that list! The rule is we need to be able to glide over the area of the engine gives out and givin the size of the festival low flying would make that difficult.

I did fly over the site in May last year, not a whole lot to see really. Just a very lonely looking pyramid stage 

Edited by natgds

About three years ago a Vulcan flew over on the Monday or Tuesday before the festival. When in the middle of the festival site it pointed upwards and hit the gas. Superb.

Five or so years ago, again before the festival...I think the w/e before, a Lancaster, a Hurricane and a Spitfire did a low pass over the site East to West. 

I'm not a warmonger but I love these old machines.

Has been the case there has been a NOTAM (Notice to Airmen) each year for as long as I remember. Some one or other usually gets prosecuted for going in to the airspace each year. Think military are usually exempt but can't say for sure. There are rules against flying over open air assemblies are as follows.

Flying over open air assemblies
Except with the written permission of the CAA, an aircraft shall not fly over an organised open-air assembly of more than 1,000 persons below the higher of the following heights:

(i) 1,000 feet; or

(ii) such height as would permit the aircraft to land clear of the assembly in the event of a power unit failure.

(f) Landing and taking off near open air assemblies
An aircraft shall not land or take-off within 1,000 metres of an

organised, open-air assembly of more than 1,000 persons except:

(i) at an aerodrome, in accordance with procedures notified by the CAA; or

(ii) at a landing site which is not an aerodrome, in accordance with procedures notified by the CAA and with the written permission of the organiser of the assembly. 

However there are extra rules for Glastonbury due to its size and number of people attending 3,100' and 2.5 miles.

Edited by Starks

7 hours ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

I do quite a bit of walking in the Scottish hills, and from time to time jets come whizzing through the glens. My user name suggests otherwise, but I secretly quite like when it happens - especially on the odd occasion when they are below you.

There is the, possibly apocryphal, story of the bored Grampian traffic policeman who pointed his radar at a Tornado coming towards him down the glen to see how fast it was going.  About half an hour later Plod got a panicked call from his boss saying that they had just received a call from the local RAF station saying that one of their jets had auto locked its air to surface missile onto an unknown radar source and had nearly launched a missile ....

Edited by timbrass
typoe

well military aircraft have been doing it for many Years and some were very low indeed - more on a Sunday for some reason or the other - some blasted past at incredible speed - although there was a loud cheer in 1982 when they came past { Falklands War had just ended that June }

Have no clue if they were meant to all I know is it did happen.

it always struck me if they had a mechanical fault - many would be wiped out .

its normally heading towards the Tor { or in that general direction } - have no clue if they do this every weekend but I suspect they don't.

helicopters come and go beside the festival, often see them (presumably bringing important staff/performers/VIPs) and there's even a mention of travelling by helicopter on the site:

http://www.glastonburyfestivals.co.uk/information/getting-here/by-air/

"Helicopter access to the Festival site is available through www.flyglastonbury.com. This is an enterprise being run by a neighbouring landowner and isn’t part of Glastonbury Festivals Ltd."

here's a piece about Wayne Rooney arriving by helicopter:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2352654/Wayne-Coleen-Rooney-escape-madding-Glastonbury-crowd--leave-festival-helicopter.html

Edited by ghostdancer1

1 minute ago, thatcrazypenguin said:

back on topic though.......im pretty sure ive seen a lot of aerial photographs of the Glastonbury site on various different years. how does this work with the no fly zone? do these photography flights need a special license or?

they don't fly over the site.

They fly round the edges.

fairplay. I take it the zone covers literally just the site then rather then the site and the stretch of airspace `around` it 

it normally allows helicopters to land in fields just about adjacent to the site, so yep I guess it does.

However, things might have been tightened up a little for this year as a result of the crash at Shoreham last year/

I remember last year seeing the bloke paragliding in, wonder if he got a caa fine as well as being kicked off site.

he got nicked and went to court and was fined. It cost him £560.
http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/16/160129m.shtml

There's details of a prosecution from 2011 here (https://www.caa.co.uk/uploadedFiles/CAA/Content/Standard_Content/Data_and_analysis/Datasets/Prosecutions/CAA%20prosecution%20results%202011-12.pdf) which also confirms that the no-fly zone has been set via act of parliament since at least that year.... and it cost that geezer about £2,000.

I might be talking rubbish here....(just what I've heard over the years...)

My understanding is that the military/govt take a very keen interest in the Festival... planning for disasters / wars / revolutions / end of the world stuff.

gfl are masters of the pop-up city and large scale movements of people (both on and off the site), as well as people/crowd control.

What better place to study our interactions and behaviours than at the Festival ?

Might just be conspiracy nonsense but it doesn't seem that far fetched (few years ago, entrance to the SE Corner felt uncomfortably close to Martial Law !)

Again, might be rubbish, but I suspect Fighters flying low over the Festival is done for a reason....

Just now, Nice hymer said:

I might be talking rubbish here....(just what I've heard over the years...)

My understanding is that the military/govt take a very keen interest in the Festival... planning for disasters / wars / revolutions / end of the world stuff.

gfl are masters of the pop-up city and large scale movements of people (both on and off the site), as well as people/crowd control.

What better place to study our interactions and behaviours than at the Festival ?

Might just be conspiracy nonsense but it doesn't seem that far fetched (few years ago, entrance to the SE Corner felt uncomfortably close to Martial Law !)

Again, might be rubbish, but I suspect Fighters flying low over the Festival is done for a reason....

tinfoilmain615.jpg

21 hours ago, shuttlep said:

a few years ago , was attacked by a flock of seagulls, (not the band)

big white flappy noisy bastards, they went in the tents and everything. they need to put a no fly zone for them.

This is my favourite post ever