No fly zone over Glastonbury site

stixmcvix

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, stixmcvix said:

Just seen this: The Air Navigation (Restriction of Flying) (Glastonbury Festival) Regulations 2016

Does this get drawn up every year? Do you reckon there's terrorism concerns or is this standard?

Some guy keeps trying to get in on a microlite. Some years he's successful, other years he gets caught.

11 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

Two F16's flew over Glastonbury last year pretty low.

They were bloody loud too! Forgot about that until now. I was joking I felt like the queen having a fly past to celebrate my first festival. Probably was a few cocktails in...

Edited by Heather90

12 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Normal, happens every year.

Just now, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Can't imagine what kind of state you must have been in to imagine this.

What state were you in not to hear it?? :D I was in the Healing Fields at the time lying on my back, love watching jets too so it was brilliant to see them come over. Scared a few people near me though!

2 minutes ago, Stokesy10 said:

What state were you in not to hear it?? :D I was in the Healing Fields at the time lying on my back, love watching jets too so it was brilliant to see them come over. Scared a few people near me though!

I do quite a bit of walking in the Scottish hills, and from time to time jets come whizzing through the glens. My user name suggests otherwise, but I secretly quite like when it happens - especially on the odd occasion when they are below you.

11 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

That's amazing I'd love that. I go to RAF Cosford quite regular that's always great. My sisters at that Mach Loop place in Wales at the moment, youtube it of you haven't seen it. Unreal how close the jets are to bystanders in the hills.

Believe it or not, my friend actually dealt with the pilot who flew one of them planes over in a phone shop shortly after, showed him the picture and everything. I used to have a copy of it, but it was on an old hard drive. I'll see if I can get another copy.

Edited by _daveyboy

7 minutes ago, Jakkkkobz said:

On Wednesday or Thursday last year there were a couple of Army helicopters and a Tornado showing off above/around site

I'm not entirely sure, but I think the military are sort-of exempt from these types of things.

There's a bit of  a clue right at the top of the doc, where it says in big letters 'civil aviation'. :P

There's a specific exemption at the top of the doc too, for aircraft that are ...

making an approach to RNAS Yeovilton at an altitude of not less than 2,000 feet above mean sea level whilst under the control of the Air Traffic Control unit at RNAS Yeovilton

Edited by eFestivals