alcohol infusions

slash's hat

1 hour ago, big__phil said:

Great! Have you got a recipe? Were coffee filters enough?

Just melted them down in some hot water then added the vodka and split it into plastic water bottles. Waters it down a bit but not by much.

Did strawberry laces too but that splits, tasted good though. Never thought at the time to use coffee filters.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know if anybody has mentioned this before, but I recently made a batch of banana bourbon. Just chuck in a load of ripe banana and leave for two weeks. I was surprised at how good it was.

Some infusions you really have to drink cold, but this was fine at room temperature.

16 minutes ago, Skoo said:

Anyone here tried a plum infusion? I am obsessed with Japanese plum wine, so hoping to recreate a vodka version.

I've not tried plum infusions, but you're welcome to try my homemade hedgerow port. It's made with a mixture of sloes, elderberries and wild damsons. I'll be bringing some along.

11 minutes ago, mr gumby said:

I've not tried plum infusions, but you're welcome to try my homemade hedgerow port. It's made with a mixture of sloes, elderberries and wild damsons. I'll be bringing some along.

Well that sounds like an offer I couldn't possibly refuse. I will let you try some of my soon to be made plum vodka.

God, we're all going to be smashed.

1 hour ago, Skoo said:

Anyone here tried a plum infusion? I am obsessed with Japanese plum wine, so hoping to recreate a vodka version.

Yep, did Plum a few years back, and it won the best infused alcohol competition our group does on the Thursday (it was a field of about 24 different infusions that year as well).  I cooked the plums slightly in boiling sugared water before adding to the Vodka, and the flavour was immense.

8 minutes ago, Greenelk said:

Yep, did Plum a few years back, and it won the best infused alcohol competition our group does on the Thursday (it was a field of about 24 different infusions that year as well).  I cooked the plums slightly in boiling sugared water before adding to the Vodka, and the flavour was immense.

You beauty, thanks for that! How many plums to how much water are we talking?

3 minutes ago, Skoo said:

You beauty, thanks for that! How many plums to how much water are we talking?

Very little water - was more to make a bit of a sugar syrup style solution, and to add to the sweetness of the drink (we did them as shots) - I didn't measure I'm afraid, but you should be able to get some guidance from https://boozedandinfused.com/ 

7 hours ago, elias said:

I don't know if anybody has mentioned this before, but I recently made a batch of banana bourbon. Just chuck in a load of ripe banana and leave for two weeks. I was surprised at how good it was.

Some infusions you really have to drink cold, but this was fine at room temperature.

Is it really that simple? You just leave some bananas in a jar/bottle of bourbon? I'm totally trying this if so!

1 hour ago, Sundance said:

Has anyone ever tried infusing passionfruit? Debating whether to attempt  a passionfruit vodka this year but it sure if it'll just turn out really sour 

A friend tried this recipe a while back for his missus who thoroughly enjoyed it. It's quick and easy so you can always try it out now and then decide whether or not it takes your fancy.

http://highproofspirit.com/infuse/passion-fruit-infused-vodka/ 

2 hours ago, Wanderlei said:

I've got my acorn-infused vodka on the go now. Can't wait!

Genuinely can't tell if you're taking the piss or if this is the hot new trend. 

It's been at least 2 months since I drank in a hipster cocktail bar - anything could be the rage these days.

6 minutes ago, Scruffylovemonster said:

From recipes I'm following, most seen to be three to five weeks. A couple are less than a week but they tend to be herb or spice ones. Pineapple is three months ish. 

At a guess if you cut or mashed the plums Id say a few weeks should be fine as the insides are soft. 

Disclaimer: I've never done this before so no idea how my pineapple 

Gin will taste yet. :

I cooked the plums with some sugar so they are nice and soft, sounds like it will be fine, thanks :)
Charm x