slash's hat

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, hfuhruhurr said:

OK, confession time - we didn't drink all our infusions last year. So, 10 months on, we have the left-overs still in their bottles next to the walking boots.

So, my question, having tasted them, they seem fine (blueberry vodka, black cherry vodka and pineapple gin), they just taste a bit more like liquors and need freshening up. Any ideas?

That just sounds to me as if they've matured over time. A lot of recipes actually recommend this. Most sloe gin recipes, for example, suggest making a batch each autumn/winter, and keeping for at least 6-12 months, so you're making one batch as you're drinking the previous one (or even older). If you're not keen on the change, you could try adding a little neat vodka/gin to each. It won't need to be much, maybe 10-20% of the volume you've got left. Give them a shake, and see if that helps, should restore some of the 'heat' of the spirit. Of course, there's another way to avoid the issue, and that's to polish them off in the first place!

2 hours ago, hfuhruhurr said:

OK, confession time - we didn't drink all our infusions last year. So, 10 months on, we have the left-overs still in their bottles next to the walking boots.

So, my question, having tasted them, they seem fine (blueberry vodka, black cherry vodka and pineapple gin), they just taste a bit more like liquors and need freshening up. Any ideas?

They sound fine. Once I left a Werthers vodka hanging around for 18 months. Looked dangerous.

I tried infusions for the first time last year and it worked great to turn plain gin into loads of different flavours so all you need is a lemonade mixer from the bar and it's practically a cocktail! They also do those organic cans at some stages too now for a more interesting mixer, I've tried:

. blueberry gin,  used fresh blueberries boiled with honey 

.elderflower and honey gin

.pinaple rum and pineapple and ginger rum

.cucumber and lemon gin

.worthers original rum 

all were good but worthers original rum in coffee is just the greatest way to start your day :D And cucumber infused gin was really refreshing and I think tasted better than the bought ones.

Any recommindations for fruit and herb mixes that anyone's tried?

roll on June :D

7 hours ago, deebeedoobee said:

Got a jar of Hot Cross bun rum on the go.

Oh this thread is killing me! I now want to make this. How Have you made it? Sounds amazing

36 minutes ago, Perks said:

Oh this thread is killing me! I now want to make this. How Have you made it? Sounds amazing

• 300g sultanas (I would have used currant and raisins if I had them)
  • 75g dark brown sugar
  • 2 cinnamon sticks
  • 2 tsp ground mixed spice
  • ½ whole nutmeg finely grated
  • 1 orange zest only, finely grated
  • 1 lemon, zest only, finely grated
  • 750ml bottle rum

Shake it up and leave for as long as you want. I think it will only be 3 - 4 days but will try it and see.

Edited by deebeedoobee

1 hour ago, deebeedoobee said:
  • 300g sultanas (I would have used currant and raisins if I had them)
  • 75g dark brown sugar
  • 2 cinnamon sticks
  • 2 tsp ground mixed spice
  • ½ whole nutmeg finely grated
  • 1 orange zest only, finely grated
  • 1 lemon, zest only, finely grated
  • 750ml bottle rum

Shake it up and leave for as long as you want. I think it will only be 3 - 4 days but will try it and see.

Wow. That sounds amazing. Cheers. I've got spiced rum, suppose that would do the same job?

Quick question. I am really tempted by these vodka and/or rum infusions. For example - the Rhubarb & Custard One... Do you drink this neat or do you add lemonade/soda to it? Like the idea of an infusion that I could sip all day long and not peak to soon... Any suggestions? 

5 minutes ago, danmarks said:

waitrose sell a cherry Bakewell vodka. Heston Blumenthal make if that's maybe what you are thinking of?

Yes, this keeps popping up when I search for recipes but I was sure I saw one which includes amaretto, cherrys etc on here?

51 minutes ago, Larraht said:

I've trawled this thread now and I was sure there was someone who had a recipe for cherry bakewell vodka? I can't seem to find it though - if anyone can help I would be very grateful. 

There is someone on here who makes it but can't remember who now. Think its someone who frequents the NFR NFC thread, someone else might be able to point you in the right direction.

13 hours ago, Larraht said:

I've trawled this thread now and I was sure there was someone who had a recipe for cherry bakewell vodka? I can't seem to find it though - if anyone can help I would be very grateful. 

@Curlygirl makes it. It's equal parts vodka, amaretto and cherry brandy. Just mix them together and it's ready.

8 hours ago, mr gumby said:

@Curlygirl makes it. It's equal parts vodka, amaretto and cherry brandy. Just mix them together and it's ready.

Ah, thats brilliant. Thanks so much! I have been scouring the internet for a recipe but had no luck whatsoever. Amazing that I can just knock it up like that too! 

1 hour ago, Larraht said:

Ah, thats brilliant. Thanks so much! I have been scouring the internet for a recipe but had no luck whatsoever. Amazing that I can just knock it up like that too! 

It is so simple to make and drinkable straight so no mixers needed. You can buy Hestons ready made cherry bakewell vodka from Waitrose but clearly it's not as good as mine. Watch out tho, it's lethal!! 

1 hour ago, Curlygirl said:

It is so simple to make and drinkable straight so no mixers needed. You can buy Hestons ready made cherry bakewell vodka from Waitrose but clearly it's not as good as mine. Watch out tho, it's lethal!! 

I'm sure yours is far superior (and not twenty five quid a bottle)! I'm thinking that I will make a vodka trio this year - cherry bakewell, spicy gingerbread and turkish delight. Many thanks for letting me pilfer the recipe! 

After much deliberation on flavours, I've started mine soaking!! I went with strawberry, watermelon, rhubarb and orange. I'm excited now, feels like the Glastonbury countdown is truly on!! 

IMG_0723.JPG

Edited by JoBalls