Download 2017

Hart Attack

8 minutes ago, robmongascy said:

seems a bit strange to announce all the headliners at once. my immediate impression is that they're not big enough to justify their own announcement, which pretty much rules GnR out if that's the case

That was obvious from last summer and luckysalt only backed it up. If GNR were doing Download they would be getting announced purely on their own I'd say.

There is a slim and it's very slim chance that R&L could have them depending on when UK dates set in and the allowance of own dates close to festival dates and the ability to sell it all based on the actual band it is....but I'd even wager Glasto more likely based on the supposed leaked dates even though it's less money.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've never been to download before but looking to go next year. On the GnR front there's no chance them playing Reading. After last time Axl promised he'd never work with Melvin Benn again after he pulled the plug on them. And we all know Axl can hold a massive grudge! Also them playing Glastonbury it won't happen either. They will want mega mega money to play with Glastonbury won't do. The last band Michael E wants to play before he retires is F Mac and they've said they won't raise the amount they pay acts and stevie won't reduce her fee, and again Axl likes money. Now with SOAD basically being nailed on they will be a cheap headline act compared to most which means D/L could spend more on that classic act. Also Axl believes in his head that Guns are the biggest rock band ever so playing at the home of Rock isn't unlikely. Also with D/L it will be a massive coup and they'd likely allow a band of Guns size to announce a tour a long side it. Reading and Glastonbury defo wouldn't which would put them in the driving seat to get them. Also there's a strong rumour they will play Rock am Ring which is the week before. So I think that it could be guns soad and bmth/ax7 

Download is still run by the company Melvin Benn is the boss of. :P

But aye, there does seem to be more to the rumour than people just putting the big touring rock band to the suitable rock festival. It's come from a lot of different places now and UK not featuring on the mooted tour date list is what's convincing me, but it could all be bullshit and their own dates across stadiums do make more sense in the scheme of things.

There's a rumour that the tour dates are being rolled out on Monday. I don't know if that's good or bad for the chances, but I feel like by Thursday morning we'll have a strong indication if they're playing or not.

Edited by dentalplan

my main concern is why people think they will either do festivals or their own tour dates. i'm pretty sure when they did download in '06 they did a full uk tour like a month later. the same could apply to blink i suppose but probably wouldn't be able to shift the tickets.

EDIT - yeah i just googled their 2006 tour. they did download then in july did 8 uk arena dates (2 of which were wembley arena). i understand that if they're doing their own dates it'd be wembley stadium, but still.

Edited by robmongascy

I can't decide between Aerosmith or Guns. Aerosmith as their final UK festival show similar to Sabbath this year would make a lot of sense. As for Guns, I think they could easily do Download, a Scottish stadium date and a couple of Wembley Stadium gigs and sell them all out as soon as they get announced. Surely Download must have been trying SO hard to get them? They're the biggest band they could get for 2017. 

Edited by Andre91

1 hour ago, Red Day said:

If it's SAOD Ax and Biffy, that's a fair old comedown from this year.   Started off with the hopes of GnR and Metallica and it ended up looking like Blink.  Jeezus

GNR was always hope.

1 hour ago, Muggy12345678 said:

I've never been to download before but looking to go next year. On the GnR front there's no chance them playing Reading. After last time Axl promised he'd never work with Melvin Benn again after he pulled the plug on them. And we all know Axl can hold a massive grudge! Also them playing Glastonbury it won't happen either. They will want mega mega money to play with Glastonbury won't do. The last band Michael E wants to play before he retires is F Mac and they've said they won't raise the amount they pay acts and stevie won't reduce her fee, and again Axl likes money. Now with SOAD basically being nailed on they will be a cheap headline act compared to most which means D/L could spend more on that classic act. Also Axl believes in his head that Guns are the biggest rock band ever so playing at the home of Rock isn't unlikely. Also with D/L it will be a massive coup and they'd likely allow a band of Guns size to announce a tour a long side it. Reading and Glastonbury defo wouldn't which would put them in the driving seat to get them. Also there's a strong rumour they will play Rock am Ring which is the week before. So I think that it could be guns soad and bmth/ax7 

You know R&L have become known over recent years of having headliners play their own big outdoor gigs?

37 minutes ago, Chavmeisterdeluxe said:

Metallica appear to be back in the running. Zegut says there's a French announcement regarding them on Monday, same day as the next DL France announcement.

Hmm that's interesting. System along with any two of Avenged, Aerosmith, Guns or Metallica would be great for me. 

9 hours ago, Andre91 said:

So we are getting all three headliners and other acts next Thursday! Brilliant stuff. Final headliner prediction: 

System Of A Down 

Avenged Sevenfold 

Aerosmith 

Shall we get an announcement prediction game going similar to what we do in the R&L thread? Should we say you have to guess 3 headliners and 7 other acts, maybe? 

Where did it say all three headliners? I saw ''First acts announced'' nothing about specifically all 3 headliners

24 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

Where did it say all three headliners? I saw ''First acts announced'' nothing about specifically all 3 headliners

news article on the website

"This just in. Your official Download Festival 2017 headliners will be announced next Thursday, 3rd November at 7pm!

We can't wait to share with you the three headliners that will take to Donington for Download 2017, alongside a whole host of other great acts."

so it sounds like it's going to be the headliners plus a bit of undercard. totally different to other years.

Edited by robmongascy

2 hours ago, robmongascy said:

news article on the website

"This just in. Your official Download Festival 2017 headliners will be announced next Thursday, 3rd November at 7pm!

We can't wait to share with you the three headliners that will take to Donington for Download 2017, alongside a whole host of other great acts."

so it sounds like it's going to be the headliners plus a bit of undercard. totally different to other years.

Could maybe be because they've booked a risky headliner? Try to make up for the potential flop with some undercard to help shift tickets?

Blink seem quite likely right now.

17 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

SoaD are by no means subbing.

Avenged and Blink would more likely sub than SoaD.

Pretty sure I remember copping saying they'd devalued themselves in the uk by subbing green day at reading and he couldn't book them as headliner anymore. Of course that was a long time ago and he could have changed his mind. 

2 minutes ago, lightning1000 said:

Pretty sure I remember copping saying they'd devalued themselves in the uk by subbing green day at reading and he couldn't book them as headliner anymore. Of course that was a long time ago and he could have changed his mind. 

He said devalued, he never said he wouldn't book them as a headliner.

If he asked them to sub they'd tell him so shove it and do their own shows most likely.

Edited by Gozpot

image.png

This is the actual conversation. You can never take that man seriously but I don't think it's impossible. Especially if it was part of a deal where they got to headline 2 other versions of download, then sub to the biggest metal band of all time. They were happy enough to play 2nd fiddle to green day.

Edited by lightning1000