Download 2017

Hart Attack

4 hours ago, Markjensen said:

I think download needs to attract in a younger audience. It cooincides with GCSEs/A-levels and unis aren't on their holidays. I think it should be a few weeks later, and since black sabbath are fucking off it won't be too long until all the other bands their so heavily reliant on do too, along with their fan bases

Royal blood/ bmth co headline

soad 

metallica

think that should be what they do as that would appeal to all audiences

Universities break up in May. A levels and. GCSE are in full flow. 

Putting it a few weeks later means it competes with euro festivals and the isle Wight and Glastonbury. 

It it really doesn't need 15/16 year olds running around having their first beer believing there smoking weed when it's basil. It's the reason I'm going to D/L and not reading. Also metal fans tend to be older these days as kerrang doesn't show that much and when I was a young lad pop punk and kerrang where in full force 

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Markjensen said:

I think download needs to attract in a younger audience. It cooincides with GCSEs/A-levels and unis aren't on their holidays. I think it should be a few weeks later, and since black sabbath are fucking off it won't be too long until all the other bands their so heavily reliant on do too, along with their fan bases

Royal blood/ bmth co headline

soad 

metallica

think that should be what they do as that would appeal to all audiences

Putting it a few weeks later means it competes with euro festivals and the isle Wight and Glastonbury. 

It it really doesn't need 15/16 year olds running around having their first beer believing there smoking weed when it's basil. It's the reason I'm going to D/L and not reading. Also metal fans tend to be older these days as kerrang doesn't show that much and when I was a young lad pop punk and kerrang where in full force 

31 minutes ago, Muggy12345678 said:

Download clashed with IoW this year. Moving it to any week in July would give it less competition from IoW and Glastonbury, although it would have more from TITP but it's hardly like with the way TITP has gone there's too much competition between the two now.

Personally think Download would be better off mid-July in terms of sales and the weather, think a lot of the school leavers who would come to Download would be a lot more respectful than the groups of ''Lads'' you get doing all that shit at R&L.

Kerrang still shows plenty of metal, just most of it tends to be Metalcore rather than anything else.

36 minutes ago, Muggy12345678 said:

When the majority of the bands that they rely on retire download are going to be fucked, and that's probably coming soon

younger people listen to bmth/ royal blood/ three days grace etc and download need to lure them in so when the maidens and metallicas etc retire they have back up. 

11 minutes ago, Markjensen said:

When the majority of the bands that they rely on retire download are going to be fucked, and that's probably coming soon

younger people listen to bmth/ royal blood/ three days grace etc and download need to lure them in so when the maidens and metallicas etc retire they have back up. 

This has been talked about for Download for a long time, the need to branch out for when the old heavyweights all pack it in (Obviously Black Sabbath already are, Aerosmith are seemingly packing it in soon and i can't see Iron Maiden still going in 10 years time.

They need to start getting the bands they miss out on time and time again, Green Day, Blink, RHCP, Biffy, Paramore, Foos etc

They've done well building bridges with ADTR and they had with BMTH until they pissed them off the other year.

They really could do with booking bands like Royal Blood, Twenty One Pilots etc as they will seemingly be topping festivals in the next 5 years time and could really do with booking them before then.

10 minutes ago, Markjensen said:

younger people listen to bmth/ royal blood/ three days grace etc

I'm pretty sure Three Days Grace haven't been a thing with younger people for about 10 years. 

2 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

This has been talked about for Download for a long time, the need to branch out for when the old heavyweights all pack it in (Obviously Black Sabbath already are, Aerosmith are seemingly packing it in soon and i can't see Iron Maiden still going in 10 years time.

They need to start getting the bands they miss out on time and time again, Green Day, Blink, RHCP, Biffy, Paramore, Foos etc

They've done well building bridges with ADTR and they had with BMTH until they pissed them off the other year.

They really could do with booking bands like Royal Blood, Twenty One Pilots etc as they will seemingly be topping festivals in the next 5 years time and could really do with booking them before then.

They've booked both Royal Blood and twenty one pilots before tbf 

3 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

Most of those bands are better off at Reading. I think download should stay true to its metal roots but focus on getting relationships with the up and coming artists. Otherwise in a few years there going to be left with no one but lp/a7x and blink 

1 minute ago, Gozpot said:

Knew about Royal Blood but didn't Twenty One Pilots, fair bookings on Downloads part.

Yeah 2014 on the 2nd stage. They were shit. I actually don't mind there new album but it definitely has nothing to do with download. They're a pop band, no rock in there whatsoever. Imagine dragons belong there more than they do. 

5 minutes ago, Markjensen said:

Most of those bands are better off at Reading. I think download should stay true to its metal roots but focus on getting relationships with the up and coming artists. Otherwise in a few years there going to be left with no one but lp/a7x and blink 

Well in 10 years time what metal bands will still be around to headline?

Metallica, SoaD, Slipknot, A7x, Linkin Park and Rammstein, presumably with BMTH and ADTR also moving up to headliners.

They can't live off of 8 headliners, they need to expand into more genres of face the facts they will have to downscale and big time.

Metal just isn't as big as it used to be anymore and the knock on effect of that will hit Download hard if it doesn't branch out, no metal bands are making it big anymore aside from BMTH and ADTR who both of which can be called metal in very loose terms now.

Edited by Gozpot

16 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

Well in 10 years time what metal bands will still be around to headline?

Metallica, SoaD, Slipknot, A7x, Linkin Park and Rammstein, presumably with BMTH and ADTR also moving up to headliners.

They can't live off of 8 headliners, they need to expand into more genres of face the facts they will have to downscale and big time.

Metal just isn't as big as it used to be anymore and the knock on effect of that will hit Download hard if it doesn't branch out, no metal bands are making it big anymore aside from BMTH and ADTR who both of which can be called metal in very loose terms now.

Metal/hard rock/punk should suffice in the future, especially with the rise of bands like Royal blood and slaves who I think are potential future headliners

7 minutes ago, Markjensen said:

Metal/hard rock/punk should suffice in the future, especially with the rise of bands like Royal blood and slaves who I think are potential future headliners

So you see 2 bands making it to headliner and expect Download to be able to cope with around 10 headliners in 10 years time?

Download simply CANNOT survive without expanding the genres it will book or reducing the size of the festival, it doesn't sell out as it is so what happens when in 10 years time we get a trio of headliners that have played in the last 2/3 years or they are forced to bump someone like Korn/Limp Bizkit to headline when they simply aren't there. There's not enough big metal/hard rock and punk bands coming through anymore and there hasn't been for too long for Download to survive as it is.

Why do you think they've only give 1 band their first headline slot at a major UK festival since 2010?

"Download should stick its metal routes"

"Slaves and Royal Blood are future Download headliners"

Bit of a contradiction there. 

No idea why someone wanting other bands to stay at Reading (presumably because they don't like the idea of the crowd they'd attract) would want Slaves or Royal Blood to headline. 

Be careful what you wish for. 

Just now, Markjensen said:

My issue is if we have say Biffy headlining what would even be the point of download existing? Slaves and Royal blood are heavier than average and would fit in at download, Biffy wouldn't. Download would need to differentiate itself 

I don't know a lot about Biffy but isn't their old stuff reasonably heavy? They could do what Muse did at Download and just focus on the heavier stuff, Muse even left out some of their biggest hits (Starlight for example) that never get left out.

Biffy have played Download like 6 times ffs.  

Why would Slaves fit in at Download but Biffy not? Slaves have nothing to do with punk music. The average Slaves fan is more into grime than punk. They're the sort of slightly racist loser from your school who started wearing braces and doc martens after thinking it looked cool on This Is England. 

Biffys first 3 albums are Post Hardcore, lots of post hardcore bands play Download, some of their songs since then are also reasonably heavy (Living is a Problem Because Everything Dies, Saturday Superhouse, semi-mental, That Golden Rule, Little Hospitals, Modern Magic Formula, Woo Woo, Wolves of Winter is even pretty heavy). If Muse can headline, Biffy can 100%.