Download 2017

Hart Attack

10 minutes ago, lightning1000 said:

image.png

This is the actual conversation. You can never take that man seriously but I don't think it's impossible. Especially if it was part of a deal where they got to headline 2 other versions of download, then sub to the biggest metal band of all time. They were happy enough to play 2nd fiddle to green day.

He never says that he wouldn't let them headline again and Andy Copping is obviously the least reliable source in the word (besides maybe Black Crow), if SoaD said no to subbing and did their own shows he would have looked to have failed at booking them which would make him look even worse. Reading is a completely different festival to Download, metal bands will always get higher placings at Download than R&L. The other DLs are booked by different people, there wouldn't be a deal in place like that.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If Metallica are touring summer after all I'll feel such a fool for ever believing they wouldn't.

The pool does actually seem to be quite large if these rumoured acts and announced ones are all touring. Blink, SOAD, Linkin Park, Aerosmith, Chilis, Biffy, probably A7X, maybe Metallica, chuck in GNR, Green Day and BMTH as well and there'll still probably be more (NIN, Paramore, 30STM) that surface later on. Sonisphere could've probably had a go at a festival next year.

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

If Metallica are touring summer after all I'll feel such a fool for ever believing they wouldn't.

The pool does actually seem to be quite large if these rumoured acts and announced ones are all touring. Blink, SOAD, Linkin Park, Aerosmith, Chilis, Biffy, probably A7X, maybe Metallica, chuck in GNR, Green Day and BMTH as well and there'll still probably be more (NIN, Paramore, 30STM) that surface later on. Sonisphere could've probably had a go at a festival next year.

Is it confirmed they aren't back in 2017? You've made a good point with all the acts you've listed, seems perfect for them to come back.

Remember we heard ages ago that Blink would be headlining? And the thing that put everyone off was those placeholder gigs in Brum? What if they were just placeholder gigs for a July tour but they've since rearranged the tour for later in the year? Blink playing at several Euro fests around Download time just seems to make sense that they would be at DL. They'd be a fresh headliner. 

55 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Remember we heard ages ago that Blink would be headlining? And the thing that put everyone off was those placeholder gigs in Brum? What if they were just placeholder gigs for a July tour but they've since rearranged the tour for later in the year? Blink playing at several Euro fests around Download time just seems to make sense that they would be at DL. They'd be a fresh headliner. 

aye with both Blink and Green Day active this year and having already done Reading/Leeds in recent years it'd be silly if Download didn't get one of em and instead went for a bunch of repeat headliners. obviously depends if the bands wanna do it, but i wouldn't rule Blink out

have A7X still not been announced for any festival dates? looking less and less likely as all the rock festivals announce their lineups without them

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

Good point, makes more sense than my theory of Download and 1/2 shows with that as a placeholder incase DL fell through.

27 minutes ago, lightning1000 said:

The best part of line up announcements is Black Crow getting it wrong then saying "they were set to at the time" 

28 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

aye with both Blink and Green Day active this year and having already done Reading/Leeds in recent years it'd be silly if Download didn't get one of em and instead went for a bunch of repeat headliners. obviously depends if the bands wanna do it, but i wouldn't rule Blink out

have A7X still not been announced for any festival dates? looking less and less likely as all the rock festivals announce their lineups without them

That's a very good point, strange that no festivals have announced them yet, could maybe see SoaD, Blink and Metallica?

59 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

The point about Avenged is what is making me expect them less and less Day by day. If they were in Europe then surely they would have been announced for some festivals by now? System, Blink & Aerosmith is my bet for now. It'll probably f**king change again by Monday :lol: (I'm just excited as next year is going to be my first full DL weekend). 

MAIN

SOAD / Prophets of Rage / Lamb of God

Blink / Limp Bizkit / Jimmy Eat World 

Aerosmith / Alter Bridge / Stone Sour 

2nd 

Of Mice & Men / Sleeping With Sirens 

Steel Panther / Ghost 

Rancid / Sum 41 

I grew up listening to Blink, absolutely loved their music for as long as I can remember, I've not been big into other Pop Punk bands as such but Blink just did it for me.  Got to see them on their 2012 tour and they weren't the best, as was expected from common knowledge.  Tom was the main part dragging the performance down and make it a bit sloppy, but they still put on such a good show and everyone has a good time and spends the whole time smiling and laughing, saw them again at Reading in 2014 and I'd say it was more or less identical.

The difference this time is that with Matt Skiba replacing Tom and they seem to be heading down a better track, and a LOT of fans are looking forward to seeing how this could work, me included, so I'd be more than happy with them headlining.

Also, and I know they're on a supposed Hiatus at the moment, but can anyone see Foo Fighters being a possibility for the pool? not saying I think they'll play but they'd be something fresh for the next few years

23 minutes ago, Red Day said:

Oh and Gozpot ...666 posts. :D

Contemplated making a new account and stopping there :rofl:

Personally i love Blink and know they'd be a risky booking for Dowload but they need to expand their headliner pool or soon they'll be in a very tough position.

Main:
SoaD/Steel Panther/Limp Bizkit
Blink/ADTR/The Offspring
Metallica(if that news that zegut posted is true, if not then Aerosmith, will find out Monday) /Alter Bridge/Royal Blood

Second:
Bullet For My Valentine (The Poison in Full would be good as they're touring that)/Papa Roach/Pierce The Veil
Slayer/Anthrax/Cavalera's Back To Roots
Stone Sour/Asking Alexandria/Sleeping With Sirens

Also expecting The Dillinger Escape Plan to headline the 3rd stage as either a last UK Festival show or Last UK show.

Edited by Gozpot

7 minutes ago, coreyt409 said:

I grew up listening to Blink, absolutely loved their music for as long as I can remember, I've not been big into other Pop Punk bands as such but Blink just did it for me.  Got to see them on their 2012 tour and they weren't the best, as was expected from common knowledge.  Tom was the main part dragging the performance down and make it a bit sloppy, but they still put on such a good show and everyone has a good time and spends the whole time smiling and laughing, saw them again at Reading in 2014 and I'd say it was more or less identical.

The difference this time is that with Matt Skiba replacing Tom and they seem to be heading down a better track, and a LOT of fans are looking forward to seeing how this could work, me included, so I'd be more than happy with them headlining.

Also, and I know they're on a supposed Hiatus at the moment, but can anyone see Foo Fighters being a possibility for the pool? not saying I think they'll play but they'd be something fresh for the next few years

What date didn't you go to in 2012? I went to Nottingham and Blink were the best I've seen them :) 

Blink's new album has been really well received, and they've been playing some older tracks now they have Skiba who can sing and play really well, whereas Tom became really lazy when it came to guitar playing. I'll be over the moon if they're one of our headliners. 

10 minutes ago, Red Day said:

It's maybe because I'm a bit older.  Always saw them as more a comedy act than anything to be taken seriously.

Part of Blink is that they don't take themselves serious all the time.

Seen them live twice, first time they sounded poor but they had a good time on stage which made it enjoyable.
Second time they sounded decent, not amazing (Both times down to Tom, so that's cured now) but again, as they had fun on stage it makes it a much more enjoyable performance.

I do get why people like them and it's just a personal thing.  I'd be pretty disappointed if they are one of the headliners.  If it's them, A7x and Aerosmith, it would need to be a strong under-card for me to go.  I'd normally just buy that earlybird tickets but think I'll hold off until Thursday to see what the line up is before committing.

Still hoping to see either GnR and Metallica (or both) on the bill.

6 minutes ago, Gozpot said:

Part of Blink is that they don't take themselves serious all the time.

Seen them live twice, first time they sounded poor but they had a good time on stage which made it enjoyable.
Second time they sounded decent, not amazing (Both times down to Tom, so that's cured now) but again, as they had fun on stage it makes it a much more enjoyable performance.

Blink are far and away my favourite band of all time, but I've never enjoyed the on stage 'humour'. I just see it as forced and trying hard to live up to people's expectations of it. Leeds 2014 was the worst I've seen Blink, and part of that was the on stage 'banter' between Tom and Mark. The setlist was spot on, the best they've played when I've seen them, but I don't need to hear a nearly 40 year old guy telling his bandmate that he slept with his sister etc. Thankfully that seems to have lessened with Skiba now in the band. 

Call me a killjoy, but it might be because Blink's untitled album is not just my abourite album by them, but my favourite album by anyone ever, and it's their most serious album, so I prefer them when they're being serious like that, even on stage. 

Edited by Andre91

I think the whole Soad thing is just people being pissy they picked reading over download as a festival exclusive. You'd feel hard done by giving the band mad love and respect and they basically shitting on you. I think Ax7 will be a reading exclusive it's been 8 years since they played Leeds and missed reading as the lead singer go the shits. Reading is going in a massive direction now. It's heavy band is Metallica. It knows it can't compete with Glastonbury anymore. Blink are so bad live or where when Tom was in it. I remember seeing them at reading when they got back together. They played so badly and it was massively awkward. I don't think people should count out LP or Biffy. They haven't played in a couple years. Reading won't book LP and I can't see them doing Glastonbury v or bst. Same with biffy they played reading last year and will play festivals. Can't see it being Aerosmith at all based on they're playing nothing else in Europe at the time. They could play BST thinking on past years like black sabbath, the who 

12 minutes ago, Pop Punk Sucks said:

Think they should just do what they want without the pressure of having to be "that funny band". Saw an interview with them where they basically said that the "I built this pool" song was just a joke Mark came up with, but the other one was Feldman saying "come on you need another funny song". 

Mark has had Built This Pool written for something like 10 years i believe i heard him say in an interview and just was waiting for the right time to put it into a record.

Could believe Feldmann asked for another funny song to be written.

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

What date didn't you go to in 2012? I went to Nottingham and Blink were the best I've seen them :) 

I went to the Cardiff date, I really did enjoy the gig, it was the first time I saw them and it was more or less what I expected.  I'm not bashing them in any way, they are one of my favourite bands of all time like I said, but I mean Tom was in a way the 'problem' with their live performances in my opinion, he was absolutely smashed when they played Cardiff (which I know is something he's notorious for), it just made the whole thing a bit 'sloppy' and I think they will do very well as a headliner with Matt Skiba and I can see why many WOULD want them as a headliner.

2 hours ago, Red Day said:

It's maybe because I'm a bit older.  Always saw them as more a comedy act than anything to be taken seriously.

Yeah I get that.  But that's basically what they are, they never take themselves too seriously and that's basically what they're about like Gozpot said.  It's more of a comedy type act rather than the super well written face melting solos and stuff.  Just something to laugh at, and have a good time, but if you don't find them funny then I can see why you wouldn't be too keen on them headlining.

31 minutes ago, coreyt409 said:

I went to the Cardiff date, I really did enjoy the gig, it was the first time I saw them and it was more or less what I expected.  I'm not bashing them in any way, they are one of my favourite bands of all time like I said, but I mean Tom was in a way the 'problem' with their live performances in my opinion, he was absolutely smashed when they played Cardiff (which I know is something he's notorious for), it just made the whole thing a bit 'sloppy' and I think they will do very well as a headliner with Matt Skiba and I can see why many WOULD want them as a headliner.

Yeah I get that.  But that's basically what they are, they never take themselves too seriously and that's basically what they're about like Gozpot said.  It's more of a comedy type act rather than the super well written face melting solos and stuff.  Just something to laugh at, and have a good time, but if you don't find them funny then I can see why you wouldn't be too keen on them headlining.

Oh really? That sucks. Tom was spot on in Nottingham, and Mark even said on stage that it was their first tour in years that Tom was sober, and it definitely showed as they played a great show. So I'm surprised to hear he was drunk. 

4 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Oh really? That sucks. Tom was spot on in Nottingham, and Mark even said on stage that it was their first tour in years that Tom was sober, and it definitely showed as they played a great show. So I'm surprised to hear he was drunk. 

Yeahh :/ 

I'm not 100% that he was drunk but he definitely wasn't sober, he did mess a few notes up and Mark picked him straight up on it.  There seemed to be a funny atmosphere on stage between them, which is why I'm quite keen for them to come around again with Matt Skiba as we've all heard good things and I'd love to see them on top form!