Underworld

Deano77

2 hours ago, MattDavies__ said:

How was the new stuff in Bristol, anyone who went? 

Wasn't a massive fan of I Exhale but some of the other new ones (think the played quite a few?) sounded more promising 

I was at the 6 music show in Bristol yesterday and thought they were great. 

The six music festival was quite impressive with the foyer of the Colston Hall fitted out with a hefty system and the likes of Dennis Bovell, fresh 4 and a reunited Roni size and dj krust rolling out bass heavy bangers. 

It was a more mature crowd for underworld with some seasoned ravers coming out of retirement by the looks of it.

I thought the new stuff sounded great along with reworked versions of classic tracks like rez, cowgirl, pearls girl,  King of snake and born slippy. ( with born slippy they went straight in with the hefty kick drum with the chords coming in later) 

I think they benefitted from the more intimate venue combined with a very good sound system. If they could headline the glade it would be a fantastic booking 

They did get a fantastic reaction from the crowd at the end and I was surprised by how good they were to be honest! 

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the second person I've seen suggest them for headlining the Glade.  I'd thought them too big a draw for the stage, but others have said they don't draw the numbers anymore (although everyone I know who has seen them in the last couple of years has been impressed) so maybe they would be a good fit there as it's a good stage for visuals.

not wishing to be confrontational but they are obviously way, way, way too big for the glade and to suggest they'd play there is idiocy.

John Peel would be the smallest stage they could play. I think they have gone down enough in popularity that they could do it, plus the JP could well be getting bigger or even going outdoors if the rumours are to be believed so that would make sense.

I can't say they're big enough for the other stage headliner these days but they are much much too big for glade.

Edited by Memory Man

3 minutes ago, Memory Man said:

not wishing to be confrontational but they are obviously way, way, way too big for the glade and to suggest they'd play there is idiocy.

It all depends what's on elsewhere at the same time to draw crowds somewhere else.

Just to go back a bit, and of course somewhere else, sometime more than ten years ago Underworld headlined the 2nd stage at V fest, and there were less than 100 people watching them (I can't remember who was on at the same time, soz) ... and while I can accept that V isn't as much as their crowd as Glasto would be,  you should be able to accept they're far less popular today then they were back then.

I was at their Bristol show on Saturday night .... and while the show was very popular (tix had been sold to people who knew they were playing after all), everyone I spoke to that day about Underworld said "I only know one tune" (guess which? :P). It's 20 years since they had a big tune, and that's been their only big tune mainstream-wise.

And so while if I was doing the bookings I might think the Glade was smaller than the ideal for them, I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that they couldn't play there. They defo could depending what's on elsewhere at the same time.

ok to throw another stage out there thats bigger than glade..... Sonic? That could happen, having had leftfield there one year?

quite apart from anything else if they're headling 6 music their agent would not allow them to be booked onto a minor stage where there's no TV coverage.

Sonic isn't covered to my knowledge either, so that also wouldn't be likely if you ask me. John Peel fits.

true but you have to think of a stage set up.... it could happen but now becomes much less likely. This is me assuming their stage set up is fairly complex, i could be wrong though? 

Do many acts do european festivals the day immediately before or after? I could see a band playing early afternoon and shooting straight off but not a band who are definitely going to play in the dark.

8 hours ago, Memory Man said:

true but you have to think of a stage set up.... it could happen but now becomes much less likely. This is me assuming their stage set up is fairly complex, i could be wrong though?

it's probably about as simple as it gets for any act. Put a box on the stage, plug it in, turn it on.

8 hours ago, Memory Man said:

Do many acts do european festivals the day immediately before or after? I could see a band playing early afternoon and shooting straight off but not a band who are definitely going to play in the dark.

as a general rule, bands don't tend to play in Europe and then play in the UK the next (and vice versa) - tho there's plenty of exceptions to that.

6 minutes ago, Alan_C said:

The Libertines had a mad rush from Glastonbury to Russia last year from what they said anyway. Helicopter straight after the gig.

yep, it's certainly possible .... but what you mention there is a "mad dash" - and where there's a 5 hour advantageous time difference.

And, in that case, it wasn't what they'd initially planned to do. Their plans, if they'd have had more control of them (rather than having a last minute gig offer change them) probably wouldn't have had them make that mad dash.

12 hours ago, Memory Man said:

Nah Underworld's stage set up is really minimal, black backdrop screen with words flashing up on it, couple of lasers. Job's a good'un.

• 2 weeks later...