Festival Problems

Alban

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Alban,

You'll have problems on this board, partly because you are a newbie.  Old hands on here reckon that if you're really into festivals you would have been on here a long time ago.  Old hands have also managed to resolve most of their festival needs over the years, partly by discussing issues with others, for example lots of posts here on footwear, food etc.

That said, to all the other posters taking the piss; design students have got to start somewhere and occasionally new ideas do come along.  Some work and some don't, for example Shepees and biodegradable tent pegs that shatter into dangerous shards that threaten to take your eye out.

I reckon in 40+ years of festival-going in tents, trailer tents and caravans I've found the answer to most of my festival going needs but if I can think of an issue I'll let you know.

She pees might not have taken off in a massive way, but they are still a 'thing'.  Not in the same league of rubbishness as the tent pegs.

She pees might not have taken off in a massive way, but they are still a 'thing'.  Not in the same league of rubbishness as the tent pegs.

I did say that some new ideas worked and others didn't.  The biodegradeable tent pegs were an example of a great idea in theory that just didn't work in practice.  Coming from the Lenor bottle school of midnight relief I don't know about the ease-of-use of sheepees.  But my point was that from time to time new ideas do come along and students sometimes need a bit of encouragement.

yeah sorry, it's not even festival related.

I do have two festival related problems in my defence:

How do you stop people clapping along to their own rhythm en masse in the audience it's bloody annoying

and people shouting 'Alan' it's not the noughties anymore

Edited by 5co77ie

If you want to be become a hero, design a range of trollies to get your kit to your pitch, there's so many ideas on here (I use a wheelbarrow)

Needs to be lightweight, can be folded up so takes up little space, but is big when unfloded and can cope with a lot of weight, must be mud freiundy, very sturdy and above all cheap

If you can tick all those boses then you'll be a millionaire

If you want to be become a hero, design a range of trollies to get your kit to your pitch, there's so many ideas on here (I use a wheelbarrow)

Needs to be lightweight, can be folded up so takes up little space, but is big when unfloded and can cope with a lot of weight, must be mud freiundy, very sturdy and above all cheap

If you can tick all those boses then you'll be a millionaire

i always wanted to incorporate this idea - leave no trace

Edited by 5co77ie

Hello Alban. I've had a saggy ballsack for 2 years now. It's debilitating, but I've never let it get me down. Sometimes it gets so sweaty at the festival, I have to pull it up and tuck it over my entire penis. I look like an Action Man. But the thing is, the thing I never forget is, it that there's always hope. Hope that a product design student could design something that might help my affliction.

*Stirring coldplay music*

I'm crying with joy now. Not sadness. When I think of the power of hope. Of the power of dreams. And the way one man, one tiny, insignificant man with a saggy ballsack could - with the hope of prayer and the help of a product design student, with the hope of a glimmer of a chance...could change this old world we live in for the better.

Please pm me your phone number and let's get started.

Absolutely horrendous.

My problem is that I read this and cannot go back to a time where I hadn't read this. Please sort it out.

Alban - my other half is a product designer so I plan on attempting to be helpful. 

Firstly, a bit of advice, I think maybe you've narrowed down your market too quickly. Why not focus on the outdoors and look at all the problems campers have. Whether it's backpackers and the size of tents, weight of bags etc. To wild camping and survival products - you could focus on the eco market and making things more sustainable. 

I would say one of the biggest issues a festival faces is the waste at the end of it. Now, I know it's difficult to get people to make an emotional attachment to a tent but could you maybe design something that is cheap and breaks down easily for waste and recycling reasons?

Tents being too hot in the mornings are another problem people have. Often solved by using space blankets on the tent - could this potentially be a new material for tent design to look at? Is there a solar fabric you could look into?

I think if you broaden the market / area you were looking at rather than just music festivals, you will find lots of problems people face.

I am aware I haven't answered what my festival problem is though!

yeah sorry, it's not even festival related.

I do have two festival related problems in my defence:

How do you stop people clapping along to their own rhythm en masse in the audience it's bloody annoying

and people shouting 'Alan' it's not the noughties anymore

this gets right on my tits too