Alternatives

polgara

Just considering our group's options in case we aren't all successful in getting to Glastonbury this year - are there any other festivals that meet the following criteria:

1. Non arena based (or is Glastonbury the only one?)

2. Sizeable cabaret, circus type area

3. Real ale (its a must!)

Thinking about Beatherder/Kendal Calling but may depend on the acts booked (unless ours is anyway!)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazingly, considering it is situated so locally to me, I have never been to Latitude Festival. I think I heard Michael Eavis once say that if he was going to attend a festival that wasn't Glastonbury it'd be Latitude. Mini Glasto really, will a very similar ethos and vibe.

Edited by The Trickster

Amazingly, considering it is situated so locally to me, I have never been to Latitude Festival. I think I heard Michael Eavis once say that if he was going to attend a festival that wasn't Glastonbury it'd be Latitude. Mini Glasto really, will a very similar ethos and vibe.

Yeah, didn't he say that last fallow year?

I'm thinking alternatives now... Green Man, End of Road and Latitude are frontrunners so would like opinions on those. I know you won't be able to carry your own booze around though.

Otherwise I'm already going to ATP in April. And hopefully Supernormal again as I loved it this year. It's tiny and the music is very non mainstream but you can carry your own booze about and the atmosphere is ace.

I went this year, just for saturday night. It's very pretty but I didnt find the vibe particularly similar to glastonbury. It is a much more sanitised version of the festival. I felt a bit out of place being pissed up, and we chose not to drop the acid we had with us as it just wasnt that sort of place at all.

I smuggled a bottle of vodka in but once that ran out the queues to the bar were horrible. We really are spoilt at glastonbury in many ways we take for granted.

It's definitely not bad, but I'd only go again strictly depending on the line up.

Just considering our group's options in case we aren't all successful in getting to Glastonbury this year - are there any other festivals that meet the following criteria:

1. Non arena based (or is Glastonbury the only one?)

2. Sizeable cabaret, circus type area

3. Real ale (its a must!)

Thinking about Beatherder/Kendal Calling but may depend on the acts booked (unless ours is anyway!)

Beautiful Days is the festival that you're looking for. 

Also, Bearded Theory imho the best festival in the country.

I love End of the road, and would recommend it, but it's not really the same sort of thing. It's got the real ale you mention, but it's still sort of an arena (albeit a laid back one), but not the caberet/circus stuff really.

I went this year, just for saturday night. It's very pretty but I didnt find the vibe particularly similar to glastonbury. It is a much more sanitised version of the festival. I felt a bit out of place being pissed up, and we chose not to drop the acid we had with us as it just wasnt that sort of place at all.

How strange... I'd have thought most fests were 'that sort of place'... perhaps not :lol:

Anyway... didn't get a ticket yesterday, and I'm half optimistic about the resale, half looking at other options. 

Lots of the places I've considered in the past (2012 fallow for example) have been mentioned. End of the Road, Bestival, Latitude, Boomtown, Green Man etc. BUT there all seems to be something wrong/not quite there with each one. Lack of 'alternative entertainment', arena style, bad atmosphere, no real choice at the bars etc. Which only goes to confirm my suspicions that none of them will live up to it. Sure I'll have a good time, but it's not quite Glastonbury. That's why I've only ever gone since I started going in 2010, can't afford two fests in the summer despite always wanting to explore elsewhere. 

So my other choice is, do I go somewhere completely different if I miss out in the re-sale? Primavera or somewhere like that? It'd be weirdly different, but it'd probably cost a similar amount and I wouldn't feel like I was trying to imitate or replace Glastonbury by going.