Latitude 2016

Amy Lawn

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I don't think I'd be that bothered about just seeing Massive Attack again without a new album (heard the EP; it's alright) but with Young Fathers as well it'd be pretty interesting even if some classics go by the wayside. I've still got a hunch it'll be Lana but MA/YF make a lot more sense.

Father John Misty has announced a show in Liverpool for the Saturday, which I assume would be just before he gets on the ferry to Ireland for Longitude or just getting off of it en route to Latitude.

Edited by dentalplan

On the news page it's announced that Big Green Coach are the official coach service.  They're running services from several points in the UK (finally acknowledging that people need transport from places other than London), but are pretty dear, £60 return from Brum! I got a coach to Sunderland AFC for £23 return earlier this year.  National Express are still running their services, again from points round the UK, but a couple of quid cheaper.  Coach wars.... FIGHT!

15 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah I don't think I'd be that bothered about just seeing Massive Attack again without a new album (heard the EP; it's alright) but with Young Fathers as well it'd be pretty interesting even if some classics go by the wayside. I've still got a hunch it'll be Lana but MA/YF make a lot more sense.

Father John Misty has announced a show in Liverpool for the Saturday, which I assume would be just before he gets on the ferry to Ireland for Longitude or just getting off of it en route to Latitude.

Father John Misty is down for the 15th at Longitude so playing Liverpool on the 16th deffo a good sign he could be playing another festival on the sunday

Hi I'm thinking about latitude this year having done Green man last few years. How long does it take to get from the car park to camping, how far between stages? is it easy to do multiple journeys to the car ? do they have real ale tent? Anyone done both ? God what middle- aged,  first world questions ! 

18 minutes ago, glastobuds said:

Hi I'm thinking about latitude this year having done Green man last few years. How long does it take to get from the car park to camping, how far between stages? is it easy to do multiple journeys to the car ? do they have real ale tent? Anyone done both ? God what middle- aged,  first world questions ! 

I did my first Green Man last year and have done Latitude for the last 5 years. I'd say if you enjoy one, you'll enjoy the other.

No real ale tent sadly, but you can get a pint of Hobgoblin at the bars. There's also something called Hektor's on, which is a golden ale, I think I heard it's brewed by the land owner. In all honesty I wasn't a massive fan of that beer though. Other than that it's standard Tuborg and whatever piss cider they have one at your standard cheeky as fuck festival prices. One thing Green Man has over Latitude is the food and drink is massively better at Green Man. In all honesty, food and drink at Latitude is less than great. Out of the fests I've been to, it's great compared to Leeds and V, but pretty crap in comparison to No 6, Green Man and Glastonbury. I will caveat by saying I'm vegetarian, so my choices are limited anyway.

The campsite is pretty big, so it depends where you camp. We camp pretty much right on the periphery of the main car park, which has always seemed very spacious, but is about 15 minutes from the arena. We make one trip back to the car each time and have always managed to get from parking to pitched up and all our stuff with us within 2 hours. I've arrived at all sorts of times throughout the Thursday, and my only wait has been when we arrived before the gates opened. There was a monstrous queue to get in the car park last year (6 hours for us), but every other year I've found it easier than I did for Green Man. It's also worth mentioning that Latitude don't charge for parking.

Not long at all between stages, further away than they are in Green Man, but the arena is pretty much open plan (with the exception of the stage in the woods), and much less crowded. I reckon you wont have more than a 5 minute brisk walk between any stage, and you're really unlikely to find yourself crowded in.

2 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I did my first Green Man last year and have done Latitude for the last 5 years. I'd say if you enjoy one, you'll enjoy the other.

No real ale tent sadly, but you can get a pint of Hobgoblin at the bars. There's also something called Hektor's on, which is a golden ale, I think I heard it's brewed by the land owner. In all honesty I wasn't a massive fan of that beer though. Other than that it's standard Tuborg and whatever piss cider they have one at your standard cheeky as fuck festival prices. One thing Green Man has over Latitude is the food and drink is massively better at Green Man. In all honesty, food and drink at Latitude is less than great. Out of the fests I've been to, it's great compared to Leeds and V, but pretty crap in comparison to No 6, Green Man and Glastonbury. I will caveat by saying I'm vegetarian, so my choices are limited anyway.

The campsite is pretty big, so it depends where you camp. We camp pretty much right on the periphery of the main car park, which has always seemed very spacious, but is about 15 minutes from the arena. We make one trip back to the car each time and have always managed to get from parking to pitched up and all our stuff with us within 2 hours. I've arrived at all sorts of times throughout the Thursday, and my only wait has been when we arrived before the gates opened. There was a monstrous queue to get in the car park last year (6 hours for us), but every other year I've found it easier than I did for Green Man. It's also worth mentioning that Latitude don't charge for parking.

Not long at all between stages, further away than they are in Green Man, but the arena is pretty much open plan (with the exception of the stage in the woods), and much less crowded. I reckon you wont have more than a 5 minute brisk walk between any stage, and you're really unlikely to find yourself crowded in.

Thanks for a great summary ! Really helpful. Just a couple of weeks to the line-up first announcement. I recall two door cinema club were supposed to headline in 14 and pulled out - does that mean they might show up this year as they are at lots of festivals this year ? Personally i hope not but I can see there's usually lots there I would like. Pray it's the National!

2 minutes ago, glastobuds said:

Thanks for a great summary ! Really helpful. Just a couple of weeks to the line-up first announcement. I recall two door cinema club were supposed to headline in 14 and pulled out - does that mean they might show up this year as they are at lots of festivals this year ? Personally i hope not but I can see there's usually lots there I would like. Pray it's the National!

I think we've ruled out both 2DCC and The National for one reason or another. The Maccabees and Massive Attack both seem as close to nailed on as we can get without Neil's wisdom. The third slot is more open.

On ‎20‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 9:55 PM, glastobuds said:

2DCC are a Reading/Leeds exclusive so they are ruled out. 

2 hours ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

Nope stand down, I think it is just a mistake.  Nothing has changed on The National.

phew- thank goodness for that - especially as it looks like the Radiohead dream is not gonna happen...

BTW Money let slip they were playing Latitude on 6 Music this morning if anyone is interested.

9 minutes ago, mercury said:

It's an English festival exclusive to be fair.

Not what Festival Republic are billing them as

Adding to the UK exclusive list are Two Door Cinema Club. We’ve heard the Northern Irish trio will be playing loads of new tracks plus lots old faves, like ‘What You Know’ and ‘UndercoverMartyn’.

http://www.leedsfestival.com/news/reading-leeds-festival-exclusives

36 minutes ago, livemusicfan said:

phew- thank goodness for that - especially as it looks like the Radiohead dream is not gonna happen...

BTW Money let slip they were playing Latitude on 6 Music this morning if anyone is interested.

err I didn't hear them say that, they said End Of The Road and Secret Garden Party.

3 minutes ago, 5co77ie said:

err I didn't hear them say that, they said End Of The Road and Secret Garden Party.

And Latitude before Lauren hushed them up and said none of them had been announced yet...well they have now - or words to that effect.

No worries if we heard it differently - not exactly a major coup, just thought a few people might be interested

Guys having been to some very very wet festivals over the years.... Kendal Calling being the worst, it was ankle height muddy bog.

Does anyone know how many times Latitude has had poor weather? Was lovely in 2014 except for some late showers on two nights, but they'd all but dried up by the early AM. 

Seems it usually gets very lucky with the weather. 

2 minutes ago, Jacko45 said:

Guys having been to some very very wet festivals over the years.... Kendal Calling being the worst, it was ankle height muddy bog.

Does anyone know how many times Latitude has had poor weather? Was lovely in 2014 except for some late showers on two nights, but they'd all but dried up by the early AM. 

Last year the weather was beautiful. I seem to only remember one very very short spell of mild rain. The rest of the time it was dry, hot and sunny. 2013 was the same

Money definitely said they were playing Latitude, EOTR and Secret Garden Party

Fingers crossed for PJ Harvey / The National / Maccabees / TV on The Radio / Destroyer / Sigur Ros

A bunch of them would be ace and none are ruled out I don't think, although will be seeing PJ at Glasto so happy already with that

2 hours ago, Jacko45 said:

Latitude's always had 'washing machine' weather.  Got hit in IIRC 2009 by wind, the Sunrise arena was briefly evacuated.  The two wet years were 11 and 12, both ankle deep in mud despite the well draining sandy soil®.

The mud of 12 was pretty miserable. Thick thick mud that made it a big effort to get places. That was my first year and every year since it's been fookin tropical. I was fretting about forgetting a coat last year, not a single drop of rain. Thunderstorms in 14, but all pretty late at night. Saturday's started during the headliners, I was undercover watching Robyn anyway so no problems there. Got quite soaked on the walk back to the tent, but it was so warm even in the night time that we dried off while sitting inside having bedtime drinks.

On 18/02/2016 at 10:56 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I'll spend the rest of the weekend counting piss flaps

I'm glad other people do this. My PB is 16.

The National - Maccabees - Massive Attack would be a really good trio of headliners. But it doesn't look quite right to me, and I don't know why...