Latitude 2016

Amy Lawn

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mainly stuff about Glasto coming out of last nights' NME awards, however, I spotted this and thought, mmm....

http://metro.co.uk/2016/02/17/foo-fighters-arent-headlining-glastonbury-2016-but-three-british-bands-are-5702710/

"Elsewhere, The Maccabees refused to rule out the prospect of a headline performance at one of the UK’s top festivals this summer.

Singer Orlando Weekes told us: ‘Hugo [White, the band’s guitarist] has a reputation for revealing our plans when he’s not supposed to but we’ve told him to remain tight lipped tonight.

‘I’m not ruling anything out – you’d have to ask him if you want to know.’"

Surely it's got to be Latitude.

14 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Depends on your personal tastes, to be fair. The line-up was as excellent as ever for me. Portishead were a real coup, and Noel was big enough to be headlining T. There there was the surprise Ed Sheeran and Thom Yorke sets, both artists are a massive deal, and not something you'd see at the average festival. They also added a whole new stage which was playing music for the full weekend in the form of the Other Voices stage. Personally, I think that's the best and most significant addition for all the years I've been going. There's nothing else they could have realistically done to make it special, it's still just the same festival after all.

No complaints from me - I had to (heartbreakingly) decide not to go last year about a week before the festival due to family reasons.

Was gutted about Portishead and would have spent most of the rest of the weekend at Other Voices I'm sure.

Just saying that amongst the casual festival goer - not the ones who live for live music week in week out & don't really know about Melvin's penchant for hyperbole - that the 10 year show didn't quite live up to expectations. Just my opinion from what I've picked up. I just wondered if the bookers had picked up on that also - hence the Radiohead fervour...

12 minutes ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

Mainly stuff about Glasto coming out of last nights' NME awards, however, I spotted this and thought, mmm....

http://metro.co.uk/2016/02/17/foo-fighters-arent-headlining-glastonbury-2016-but-three-british-bands-are-5702710/

"Elsewhere, The Maccabees refused to rule out the prospect of a headline performance at one of the UK’s top festivals this summer.

Singer Orlando Weekes told us: ‘Hugo [White, the band’s guitarist] has a reputation for revealing our plans when he’s not supposed to but we’ve told him to remain tight lipped tonight.

‘I’m not ruling anything out – you’d have to ask him if you want to know.’"

Surely it's got to be Latitude.

3 British bands for Glasto so surely Radiohead.

But yes the Maccabees look pretty nailed for Latitude as most festivals have already announced.

9 hours ago, dirty_dog said:

ha ha, Bon Iver touring tho 

Sadly not a certain thing. It's Justin's own festival, they played it last year and no other gigs, there's every chance they might do the same again. With his promise of a new album the other week I live in hope for autumn/winter UK shows.

12 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Massive Attack & Young Fathers is a billing that's cropping up at festivals which I'm quite intrigued by because I don't know what kind of show it would be, or whether it would affect the placings and festivals Massive Attack could do. Melv loves Young Fathers though.

Aye, My mate and I saw Young Fathers at Latitude 2013. About 5 mins before the start we were getting worried because we were the only two there, and it's always shit if no one turns up to watch a band. But thankfully, just before they started, Big Jeff from Bristol turned up, so it didn't matter that there was only 3 of us in the crowd because he counts for 100 easily.

Edited by Chawk

Having read Jean Michel Jarre's Wikipedia, I'm warming to the idea of him at Latitude.  Get some of his collaborators (Massive Attack, Lang Lang etc) on stage and a light show that will suck up the National Grid and it would be a helluva spectacle for those who don't know much of his music (which is a lot of us).  One drawback would be the amount of equipment for the show - could two shows be done the same weekend?

Trailer for Electronica Vol 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw02ZVo4ea4

Edited by tillyandthewall

3 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Massive Attack & Young Fathers is a billing that's cropping up at festivals which I'm quite intrigued by because I don't know what kind of show it would be, or whether it would affect the placings and festivals Massive Attack could do. Melv loves Young Fathers though.

This would be the ideal scenario for me. Both bands are incredible live separately, pretty much the best in the game, I well and truly don't believe live shows can be better than I've seen them play. The fucking pinnacle, both of them. My Latitude festival last year ended in Young Fathers absolutely killing the Other Voices stage on Sunday night. Their Manchester show the other week was brilliant, the encore that they did together was easily the best bit of the show. If they do a full joint set, that would be something else. Both of them on the bill separately would be great for me, but that'd be repetitions of live sets I've become quite familiar with. Get them headlining the Sunday night as a joint show; I don't give a fuck what other bands are booked, I am sold. I'll spend the rest of the weekend counting piss flaps or unable to see, hear, or get into the comedy tent, and still it will be the best festival ever.