Latitude 2016

Amy Lawn

On 14/02/2016 at 10:21 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Shit news on Brian. Completely agree with you that we need something amazing to make up for last year. Nobody saw The Atomic Bomb Band coming, lots of people didn't even know what it was, but they're probably the best Sunday lunchtime slot I've seen at Latitude. I've really got to hand it to the bookers there, they made a ballsy call and it paid off for them in incredible style. For it to be preceded by James and immediately followed by Nils Frahm just cemented it as one of the best festival days ever. If Damon has Africa Express going this year, I could see them getting booked.

Massive Attack really are great live. I can't think of a better headliner for this year, I'm not complaining over the fact I've seen them before. My friend and I walked out of their show the other week saying how much we'd love to see that again at Latitude (with a few extra hits added in). Missed SVE in 2012 for reasons that elude me, I can't think why I would be that stupid, but I was. My first time seeing her was in Manchester Cathedral on the Are We There tour, she was completely brilliant.

So you missed Shazza in 2012 - now I'm wondering how I missed Nils Frahm :(

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, livemusicfan said:
20 minutes ago, livemusicfan said:

So Coldplay announced as SUNDAY Glasto headliners - leaving Saturday free for Radiohead?

Does this mean the Radiohead at Latitude dream is finally over?

Well......if you wanted to be WILDLY optimistic......they have just been announced for Lollapalooza Berlin. Which is run by Festival Republic. As is Latitude....

20 minutes ago, retromoz said:

Well......if you wanted to be WILDLY optimistic......they have just been announced for Lollapalooza Berlin. Which is run by Festival Republic. As is Latitude....

I actually always thought it was a pipe dream - would be very happy with The National, Massive Attack plus AN Other -  but now you do peak my interest... But that begs the question who is big enough for Saturday Glasto to 'bump'  Superbowl Coldplay to lowly Sunday?

BTW Am I the only person who has no idea who Major Lazer is??? Yet they/he/she are headlining/strongly subbing a load of festivals this year?

Edited by livemusicfan

3 hours ago, livemusicfan said:

So Coldplay announced as SUNDAY Glasto headliners - leaving Saturday free for Radiohead?

Does this mean the Radiohead at Latitude dream is finally over?

Coldplay have always been very strongly rumoured for the Sunday.  It doesn't change the position on whether Radiohead will or won't play Glasto.

2 hours ago, livemusicfan said:

But that begs the question who is big enough for Saturday Glasto to 'bump'  Superbowl Coldplay to lowly Sunday?

On the Glasto forums people talk about the Sunday headliner is usually a "Pop" headliner as the Eavii like to please the locals who get the Sunday day ticket.  However, I'm not really sure about that, as I remember seeing Blur, Kasabian and Muse as Sunday Headliner.

It isn't always the biggest band who headlines the Saturday though, sometimes it is but not always.

Radiohead are as likley to do Latitude as they are to Glasto imo. But I'd say it's up to Glastonbury to come and get them. I know Glasto don't do exclusives but rarely does a Glasto headliner headline another UK festival particularly one so close in location and audience and add to that the importance of exclusivity for FR. Basically I think Radiohead for Latitude hangs in the balance of it they do Glasto or not and I'd say at this stage Latitude is the more likely option. 

Edited by DGrant261

13 hours ago, DGrant261 said:

Radiohead are as likley to do Latitude as they are to Glasto imo. But I'd say it's up to Glastonbury to come and get them. I know Glasto don't do exclusives but rarely does a Glasto headliner headline another UK festival particularly one so close in location and audience and add to that the importance of exclusivity for FR. Basically I think Radiohead for Latitude hangs in the balance of it they do Glasto or not and I'd say at this stage Latitude is the more likely option. 

I've had more than one bit of Radiohead info, and one of the bits, tho not explicit with it, ends up saying that they can't be doing Latitude.

It might not be true of course, tho other bits and pieces of info outside of anything specifically radiohead strongly suggest that it is.

20 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I've had more than one bit of Radiohead info, and one of the bits, tho not explicit with it, ends up saying that they can't be doing Latitude.

It might not be true of course, tho other bits and pieces of info outside of anything specifically radiohead strongly suggest that it is.

Shame.

Any bits on release date for the album? I keep feeling it would drop any moment now 

1 hour ago, brayshizzle said:

Shame.

Any bits on release date for the album? I keep feeling it would drop any moment now 

yeah it is a shame! Was holding onto the fact that Latitude is announcing late (compared to many mid size festies around Europe) that they might have something exeptional up their sleeves. Especially as last years 10 year birthday wasn't quite the party a lot of people imagined it would be.

I know they always announce late, but they do seem to be being very bloody minded about it this year.

Ah well Radiohead was always a long shot even with Thom's connection with the festival.

I will still be very happy is some of the names mooted here come to fruition...

Edited by livemusicfan

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

This sounds like they are gonna do their own thing. Maybe an enorm-gig. Knowing my luck, it will be the same weekend as the 'tude. And probably at the MK Bowl (where they have played before in 95 supporting REM. My first 'proper' gig), which is my local enormo venue....

Whilst you're here @eFestivals is there any chance you have heard any potential rumours about Latitude? As livemusicfan says, even for Latitude standards there have been very few decent links even at this time of year - the only real rumour on the site being Sigur Ros who I'm sure are busy that weekend? I would predict Maccabees, Massive Attack and The National / New Order but none have actually had any solid rumours.... 

Heard anything at all?!

8 minutes ago, retromoz said:

This sounds like they are gonna do their own thing. Maybe an enorm-gig. Knowing my luck, it will be the same weekend as the 'tude. And probably at the MK Bowl (where they have played before in 95 supporting REM. My first 'proper' gig), which is my local enormo venue....

LOL - MK Bowl is my local enormo gig too - but I hate it - as I do most enormo gigs. Festivals are different but usually I only try to go to venues with around 1000 capacity at most. Been to a couple of good ones there though - U2's longest day in 85 with REM and Ramones plus others in support, and Brooooce in or aroiund 93!

Though Radiohead could tempt me back as been many years since I seen them due to my 1000 capacity rule...

34 minutes ago, livemusicfan said:

LOL - MK Bowl is my local enormo gig too - but I hate it - as I do most enormo gigs. Festivals are different but usually I only try to go to venues with around 1000 capacity at most. Been to a couple of good ones there though - U2's longest day in 85 with REM and Ramones plus others in support, and Brooooce in or aroiund 93!

Though Radiohead could tempt me back as been many years since I seen them due to my 1000 capacity rule...

For those enormo-venues, i would say MK Bowl is on of the better ones....i mean, the infrastructure is shambolic. But the sound and atmosphere is always really good.

And besides, i still get a little kick wondering around the place on a Sunday morning at the car boot sale. :)

7 minutes ago, suttttttt said:

How many acts are usually announced? Will it be all three headliners in the first announcement (going by previous years)?

Going on previous years all the 3 headliners and quite a bit of the rest of the festival, it's a poster's worth.

Then a wave of a few more names a bit later

Then the rest gets filled out gradually I think.  I'm never sure about the comedy and all the rest of it that probably comes in waves.

8 hours ago, livemusicfan said:

yeah it is a shame! Was holding onto the fact that Latitude is announcing late (compared to many mid size festies around Europe) that they might have something exeptional up their sleeves. Especially as last years 10 year birthday wasn't quite the party a lot of people imagined it would be.

Depends on your personal tastes, to be fair. The line-up was as excellent as ever for me. Portishead were a real coup, and Noel was big enough to be headlining T. There there was the surprise Ed Sheeran and Thom Yorke sets, both artists are a massive deal, and not something you'd see at the average festival. They also added a whole new stage which was playing music for the full weekend in the form of the Other Voices stage. Personally, I think that's the best and most significant addition for all the years I've been going. There's nothing else they could have realistically done to make it special, it's still just the same festival after all.

Don't think this has been mentioned yet, but Eaux Clares announced recently. It takes place in Winsconsin, same weekend as Latitude, so any bands playing there won't be playing Latitude. Torture yourself here. Har Mar Superstar, Buke & Gase, Mavis Staples, Sarah Neufeld (+ other members of Arcade Fire), it hurts. Boo to Eaux Clares!

58 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Don't think this has been mentioned yet, but Eaux Clares announced recently. It takes place in Winsconsin, same weekend as Latitude, so any bands playing there won't be playing Latitude. Torture yourself here. Har Mar Superstar, Buke & Gase, Mavis Staples, Sarah Neufeld (+ other members of Arcade Fire), it hurts. Boo to Eaux Clares!

isn't that festival in August?